When Carry-ons Don't Fit

4) Since our overhead bins are not all standard in size, it would be even more complicated. Bags that fit "wheels in" on an airbus, won't fit the same on a 733. So, in general, a 733 has less storage space then an A319. You make it that much more difficult when your own product is inconsistent.

There's even a different between the 733 & 734. My 20" roller fits very nicely wheels in on a 733 but not the 734. Or is that vice versa? Anyway....one of them does require me to place my 20" roller sideways. Then there's also a difference in the under the seat area between these 2 planes. Weird.

QUOTE(MarkMyWords @ Apr 27 2006, 12:18 PM)

As it is, you can't get people to listen and board by zones (or rows).

Can someone explain why zone 1 & 2 are called at the same time? What passengers make up the zone 2, we know zone 1 is FC, elites, etc. But who is in zone 2?

Yes, the trash can--they are so foul i do not understand anyone would want to put any part of their body on them.
I agree with the foul part....however sometimes the pillows come in handy to prop up the overhead bags to enable the door to close.

There's even a different between the 733 & 734. My 20" roller fits very nicely wheels in on a 733 but not the 734. Or is that vice versa? Anyway....one of them does require me to place my 20" roller sideways. Then there's also a difference in the under the seat area between these 2 planes. Weird.
QUOTE(MarkMyWords @ Apr 27 2006, 12:18 PM)

As it is, you can't get people to listen and board by zones (or rows).

Can someone explain why zone 1 & 2 are called at the same time? What passengers make up the zone 2, we know zone 1 is FC, elites, etc. But who is in zone 2?

Zone 1 is FC, US1 and US2 and Star Alliance Gold and Silver. Zone 2 is US3 and THe Signature Card folks.

Except on the CRJs, which for some reason those planes only have 3 zones, which makes it confusing.

It is really in the company's best interest to accommodate as many carryons as possible. (Reduces the need for rampers.) Also, if the Gate Agent monitors the luggage, it reduces the pressure on the FA to find space for luggage.

I try to use my old friends; but the minute I get some psycho f/a telling me to check my legal-sized carry-on bag without letting me try to find a space for it is the minute I go over to another airline. I am getting a little concerned with what I read on here regarding this new "tude" from the f/a's. So far, I have yet to experience this new "bag Nazi" phenomenon.

Eye
[/quote]

Sorry but the terms "psycho f/a" and "tude" really bother me because that already tells me that you are ready for a fight with the F/A. The reason you're told there is no space for your bag when you board is because one or more of the F/A's have already done a walk-thru the cabin and determined what space was left during the boarding process. And if the F/A's let you try at that point they already know it isn't going to fit and the F/A's are the one's that have to drag your bag back up the aisle and off the plane. Did you say you used to work for US? It couldn't have been in Inflight.... because you would know better than to react that way! And FWIW, this is not a new "bag nazi" phenomenom.....it's just that the bag situation continues to get worse and really slows the boarding process. If you bring 2 bags on board....one (smaller one) should HAVE to be placed under the seat in front of you....and two (larger one) in the overhead compartment plain and simple! B)

If you bring 2 bags on board....one (smaller one) should HAVE to be placed under the seat in front of you....
I agree and I always do this.....I wish someone would enforce it and get those briefcases under the seats....makes it better for everyone else.

Eye
...blah, blah, blah,
Yup, I was crew. Anytime I see these long windbag posts by flight attendants it tells me they are "spring loaded" for any old bag. Hey, the job doesn't require all this tension. Let the passenger find a space, put the dang bag in the overhead and be done with it. We passengers that play by size rules don't really want to hear whining about bags. We're just playing by the airline rule book. Just chill and don't become bag Nazis.

Eye

Just chill and don't become bag Nazis.

Eye
[/quote]

Well, I can see why you are no longer a F/A....when there is no more room....there is no more room....we aren't trying to start a confrontation trust me! If I could go through one whole day w/o a confrontation about a bag it would be a miracle! The one's that need to "chill" are the passengers.....trust me on this.....we have ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO LIE ABOUT BAG SPACE ON AN AIRPLANE.....when it's gone it's gone! :rolleyes:

The problem with Bob's solution is

1) it would create a mad rush for the door during general boarding.
2) It is unfair to penalize the last customer on a late connection to check his/her bag because he/she is the last customer on and there is no room.
3) Imagine the additional delay time you woudl take on a full flight when you had to collect 15.00 from each customer that had to pay. I was an agent boarding a PIT-PHL, LGA or BOS flight, it was not unusal to gate check 10-15 bags at the end of a full flight.

4) Since our overhead bins are not all standard in size, it would be even more complicated. Bags that fit "wheels in" on an airbus, won't fit the same on a 733.
Those are just a few of my thoughts......as Jim said....great in theory.....much harder to do in practice.
Jim, good thoughts but let me clarify:
1. The charge I suggested is for the “convenienceâ€￾ of brining a bag aboard the aircraft in addition to a personal item, in the land of lower fares, the customers that are paying for a discounted seat should pay for the additional convenience. This rule would not apply to Chairman Pref. and full fare paying customers such as you. There would be plenty of room (for a bag) for these special customers who sometimes run late.
2. See answer 1.
3. The charge is handled at the ticket counter or podium in the terminal not on the a/c.
4. The overhead bins on the 737-300/400 are the same bins on the 757 and will accommodate a 24 in roller board as long as it’s not an older Tumi or the type of bag that has the extended feet on the bottom. Tumi have the carry handle on the top that does not retract or give much preventing the door from closing. All the over head bin doors are curved to accommodate the luggage turned as long as it does not extend past the side of compartment. You may have to lift the bag a little to get the door under the edge of the luggage, but the door will close.

Again, I say let's give this a try, if it doesn’t work we can always go back. But I think everyone will be very surprised and pleased at how fast you get a seat and get off the a/c if we limited the carry-on’s.

Does it take more time to get the passangers or the baggage on the plane. Wichever it is, that is the limiting factor and efforts made to reduce it.

Baggage onboard might be a passanger convenience but to discourage it may not be in the airline's best interest.

Yes, the trash can--they are so foul i do not understand anyone would want to put any part of their body on them.

What else could be used to cover up unsightly messes in the air?

Anyhow, US had sizer boxes for a few years in the early 90’s until Wolfe came in. A CBS message went out to explaining they would be eliminated due to most of them becoming “worn outâ€￾.

Sure.

When the overheads fill up, start tagging bags on the plane looking at the pax ticket folder. You do carry a stack of check tags in your blazer pocket, right? If the aisle is blocked, take them to the back of the AC, open 2R and hand them to the rampers.

Don’t wait for the agents to come down and tag bags if you want to push on time.

SKY HIGH, never the last to board being a new Chairman's Preferred and all. If I am, I'd expect no space. New employer allows me to pick my flights to work (I used to work at U). I try to use my old friends; but the minute I get some psycho f/a telling me to check my legal-sized carry-on bag without letting me try to find a space for it is the minute I go over to another airline. I am getting a little concerned with what I read on here regarding this new "tude" from the f/a's. So far, I have yet to experience this new "bag Nazi" phenomenon.

Eye

SKY HIGH, never the last to board being a new Chairman's Preferred and all. If I am, I'd expect no space. I am getting a little concerned with what I read on here regarding this new "tude" from the f/a's. So far, I have yet to experience this new "bag Nazi" phenomenon.

Eye

sKY HIGH states: New "tude"? Bag Nazi? MOST F/A's try to accomodate travelers, that said, MOST F/A's strive to make this airline an ON-TIME AIRLINE.
If you're flight is delayed, EXPECT A LETTER IN YOUR FILE, IMMEDIATELY. Management wants to know WHY!
Bottom line, the overhead space is limited. Rollaboards take up too much space. Flights are full. Call the F/A what you will........but they will be forced to CHECK BAGS to get the flight OUT ON-TIME!

Jim, good thoughts but let me clarify:
1. The charge I suggested is for the “convenienceâ€￾ of brining a bag aboard the aircraft in addition to a personal item, in the land of lower fares, the customers that are paying for a discounted seat should pay for the additional convenience. This rule would not apply to Chairman Pref. and full fare paying customers such as you. There would be plenty of room (for a bag) for these special customers who sometimes run late.
2. See answer 1.
3. The charge is handled at the ticket counter or podium in the terminal not on the a/c.
4. The overhead bins on the 737-300/400 are the same bins on the 757 and will accommodate a 24 in roller board as long as it’s not an older Tumi or the type of bag that has the extended feet on the bottom. Tumi have the carry handle on the top that does not retract or give much preventing the door from closing. All the over head bin doors are curved to accommodate the luggage turned as long as it does not extend past the side of compartment. You may have to lift the bag a little to get the door under the edge of the luggage, but the door will close.

Again, I say let's give this a try, if it doesn’t work we can always go back. But I think everyone will be very surprised and pleased at how fast you get a seat and get off the a/c if we limited the carry-on’s.

Andy,

Unfortunately, I just don't agree that charging EVERY customer to bring a carry-on is the answer. As many have already pointed out, until we are able to deliver checked bags with a better degree of reliability, putting more checked bags into the system is not a good idea. What we need to do is PROVE to our customers that we are reliable, not only in OTP but in PAWOBS. Once we have achieved top tier status in ALL DOT statistics then customers will feel less apprehensive about checking their bags.

If you look at some of the things that are floating around the industry, you will see that the LEGACY carriers are trying to find a way to nickle and dime customers for everything. AA is testing charging customer per checked bag. NW is testing charging customers for "premium coach seats". Nearly all airlines are charging for meals in coach. Headsets, alcohol - charge, charge. There is even talk of charging for the sodas and juice that we serve. So where exactly is the benefit of flying so called "full service" airline? For the miles? Please....I can use the money I was going to have to pay to check a bag, carry a bag, have an aisle seat, eat a meal, drink a rum and coke and watch a movie to pay for my next trip.

What you have to look at also is the incrumental costs associated with having more bags in the system. Carry on bags move them selves from plane to plane. Checked bags don't. Toss another 40 bags per flight to the system and what will happen? You will have to hire more rampers to move the bags, purchase more carts to move the bags in, longer turn times since cargo loads will increase, increased weight and balance issues since carry on bags are figured into the passenger weights. (if someone doesn't carry on a bag, it doesn't reduce the passenger weight figured for that customer.)

So if the objective is to reduce the number of cabin bags, how are you going to pay for the increased costs of the additional cargo bags?

Personally, I don't like the idea of charging for aisle seats and checked or carry on bags. Where does the nickle and dimeing stop.....

Back