WN Mechanics seek mediation

The company blinks.

Congratulations and big thanks to AMFA negotiators for holding firm.

Indeed. I agree. It made me very proud to read this. The membership did just as good of a job as our nego's at the table did with the full support from the membership. Now let's continue the full support for full retro (signing bonus) and the correct snap up % that we have been missing out on.
Wonder if Mike was there? I seriously doubt it but, like the NC said, that was the most progress made in one setting in years if not the full 5.5 years.

The company blinks.

Congratulations and big thanks to AMFA negotiators for holding firm.
It also sounds like Gary Kelly wanted it done. You have these Air21 cases, and the Feds sniffing around. Plus they need the Feds off their backs to get their ETOPS done. I was in Dallas two weeks ago at the TOPS heard that was the talk.

After reading the companies negotiations update I can’t help but feel a little frustration with our NC but again, as in the past, the company hates a unified front on our part. I’ll accept whatever reason our negotiators have for being unavailable but my expectation is that there be a TA reached in April, even if the WeAAs doesn’t expect it till next year.

After reading the companies negotiations update I can’t help but feel a little frustration with our NC but again, as in the past, the company hates a unified front on our part. I’ll accept whatever reason our negotiators have for being unavailable but my expectation is that there be a TA reached in April, even if the WeAAs doesn’t expect it till next year.
It does get frustrating, but that's just how it goes, I expect if not April then May. My guess is we don't do full section 6 negotiations for awhile, because of the hard fight trying to maintain scope.

First and foremost Bird, I have not read any updates. Why the frustration with the NC? What in the update triggered that?? Also, why do you feel a T/A will be reached in April??? I can only hope we have something to vote on by mid year, as this would mean that our NC has agreed to bring something out to vote on and they know exactly what we are wanting. Scope was a huge, huge deal and the co., as I understand right now has given up on the massive scope asks on us. What has changed for the co. to take such a drastic change all of a sudden????
With all these questions out there I will wait for the NC to send out a final nego's update to tell us what is really going on.

Bird man I have to agree (GASP) with old Swampy above me here. I rib shot the dude cause he comes to my house tryin to press my buttons but your latest update is a good one how I see it.

Honestly I’m sorry it took so long just to get to “status quo” on SCOPE, BUT it’s done and out of the way. No more work but no less either.

Economics shouldn’t take that long now? And of course I do hope to be impressed and see you guys get that full retro you’ve been asking for.

Patience grasshopper, all will be revealed in time.

The company also claims that they moved to us on full retro too and accepted the unions numbers.
We will wait for the official AMFA explanation to be out soon.

Some may not be aware of the company update on Swalife under the About SWA/Labor link.

Last edited:
Some may not be aware of the company update on Swalife under the About SWA/Labor link.
The full retro if you read what the company put out, they agreed in two stages, we wanted 99 million, company was 74 million. Their last offer on retro pay was 74 million in 2018, & 18 million I believe in 2019, plus some more increases.

I believe drivers numbers are correct. Union was at 99 million and co. was at 74 million, now the co. is offering another 17 million in 2019. 74 plus 17 is 91 not the 99 that the union was at for full retro. Not sure which number is correct until we get an official update. Also offering the following; 14.8% snap up raise at DOS. Co. claims it's a 16.3% raise on the all in rate. Offering 3% increases for years 2019, 2020, 2021, and year 2022. Nothing for year 2018 or 2023. Other rate offers are 25% increase for lic. prem., 25% increase in skill prem., 12% increase for shift prem., .15 increase for the long. prem. for years 13-15 for a total of 1.75 after 15 years. A 12 month early opener. LOA 1 and 2 will expire. Stations with SWA mechanics will get the ETOPS work when they reach 75 flights per day and 2 ETOPS flights. All other items previously agreed to by the parties will remain including paid rest, retirement, healthcare and vacation bank.

With all this said this is on a sheet of paper with the Southwest logo but no sigs and is listed as an update in the labor tab on swalife.

I too will wait any further discussions after getting our official updates from the union. Here's the parcial one sent out Thurs night to everyone: click on link to view full update...

AMFA - SWA Technician Negotiations Update #62
March 8, 2018 -- The parties met in Dallas, TX for a scheduled three-day session beginning Tuesday, March 6, 2018. Your Committee wanted to provide you with an immediate update from this week’s session. The parties worked late into the evening today – Thursday, March 8. This week provided one of the most productive sessions the parties have had in many years.

I believe drivers numbers are correct. Union was at 99 million and co. was at 74 million, now the co. is offering another 17 million in 2019. 74 plus 17 is 91 not the 99 that the union was at for full retro. Not sure which number is correct until we get an official update. Also offering the following; 14.8% snap up raise at DOS. Co. claims it's a 16.3% raise on the all in rate. Offering 3% increases for years 2019, 2020, 2021, and year 2022. Nothing for year 2018 or 2023. Other rate offers are 25% increase for lic. prem., 25% increase in skill prem., 12% increase for shift prem., .15 increase for the long. prem. for years 13-15 for a total of 1.75 after 15 years. A 12 month early opener. LOA 1 and 2 will expire. Stations with SWA mechanics will get the ETOPS work when they reach 75 flights per day and 2 ETOPS flights. All other items previously agreed to by the parties will remain including paid rest, retirement, healthcare and vacation bank.

With all this said this is on a sheet of paper with the Southwest logo but no sigs and is listed as an update in the labor tab on swalife.

I too will wait any further discussions after getting our official updates from the union. Here's the parcial one sent out Thurs night to everyone: click on link to view full update...

AMFA - SWA Technician Negotiations Update #62
March 8, 2018 -- The parties met in Dallas, TX for a scheduled three-day session beginning Tuesday, March 6, 2018. Your Committee wanted to provide you with an immediate update from this week’s session. The parties worked late into the evening today – Thursday, March 8. This week provided one of the most productive sessions the parties have had in many years.
The most important thing is the scope. If we can't achieve full back pay then the snap up needs to be a little more, and there needs to be an increase in 2023.

You guys need full retro the company needs to pay for the incredible lengths they have dragged this out. If you don't get it better make sure it's damn close to it. This is the reason I have always hated the RLA it is totally skewed in the companies favor to drag this crap out. Went through that for many years with NWA. I am glad in that respect I am non union now I get raises every year and do not have to pay union dues to get it and make more than I ever did. That does not mean I am anti union but as long as the RLA and the NMB and it's classification of A@P's are the way they are ill happily finish my remaining years where I am.

Reactions: B737 driver

Fire McCrady from negotiations. Get Mike in there, it may have gotten done with Mike V. in there, ya think??? McCrady just made Mike V. look very bad. Mike said we would have a done deal at this March 6-8 meeting. Guess Mikes word is no longer good. Although it sounds to me like it was McCrady who derailed all this. I kinda thought that the earlier update was a little tease. So here we sit again. Company shenanigans need to stop or they will lose us forever...