WN Mechanics seek mediation

I would say at American if Parker would leave your scope alone, and maybe bring some more work in. You got your contract back to before 2003, with the pay, vacation, overtime rules back in place. And pay you more than United, I am sure the guys would approve it, regardless what Union you guys had.
Dude, the prob is that Parker will not leave the scope alone. He wants to send approx. 17% more outsourced. And rif approx 10-12% heads. Where you been?? Go back and read all the updates on the outsourcing ask and headcount reductions. I may be a little off on my numbers but not far. Pls any AA'er correct me if I am wrong

Dude, the prob is that Parker will not leave the scope alone. He wants to send approx. 17% more outsourced. And rif approx 10-12% heads. Where you been?? Go back and read all the updates on the outsourcing ask and headcount reductions. I may be a little off on my numbers but not far. Pls any AA'er correct me if I am wrong
I wasn't saying what Parker would actually do, I was answering his question on to what I know it would take to get them to approve a contract. They might have to go into section 6 to get it. You need to read my statements before you attack.

I forgot I was even a member here. I hadn't logged in since 2009 when I was commenting on my past life carrier. Anyway, just wanted to drop by and see if there was any info out on this negotiation process and found the thread here. Been with SWA for many years and seen lots of changes. I'm not gonna bash the folks that want to vote yes or vote no. Funny how you can ask just about anybody on a union contract and how they voted, and most will tell you they voted NO, and surprisingly the contract is ratified anyway. I still have the snapshot on my phone of our last contract that I did vote NO on, and it still passed, lol. Anyway, until I see the roadshow any additional language that was or wasn't drafted, and the exact pay scale in writing, not gonna make a firm stance.
I will say this, as of what I have available in front of me, scope was non negotiable, we got it. Etops, the lower 48, I can live with, wouldn't accept anything less. The company's not gonna put a few guys in Hawaii, I mean hell, look at how long it took to put guys in Denver, and we had a crap load of flights a day. I think the snap up should be a bit more, I agree, though if we are getting retro from april on this, by the time we sign this that would be a decent amount in itself. We shoot it down, and they do move the date back to August, hell by that time it maybe February before we are voting again. My concern, and this is just my opinion if we shoot it down, I don't think between trying to play the mediators schedule again, that we will see a deal anytime real soon. I think what bothers me more, is yesterday was a prime example of bad times for SWA. A very sad and tragic day. All I'm gonna say is, happened last year, and we got lucky, yesterday a life was lost, and this could be a real game changer for our future, between lawsuits, Etops, other problems, what if the money gets taken off the table down the road. Just something to think about I guess.

I forgot I was even a member here. I hadn't logged in since 2009 when I was commenting on my past life carrier. Anyway, just wanted to drop by and see if there was any info out on this negotiation process and found the thread here. Been with SWA for many years and seen lots of changes. I'm not gonna bash the folks that want to vote yes or vote no. Funny how you can ask just about anybody on a union contract and how they voted, and most will tell you they voted NO, and surprisingly the contract is ratified anyway. I still have the snapshot on my phone of our last contract that I did vote NO on, and it still passed, lol. Anyway, until I see the roadshow any additional language that was or wasn't drafted, and the exact pay scale in writing, not gonna make a firm stance.
I will say this, as of what I have available in front of me, scope was non negotiable, we got it. Etops, the lower 48, I can live with, wouldn't accept anything less. The company's not gonna put a few guys in Hawaii, I mean hell, look at how long it took to put guys in Denver, and we had a crap load of flights a day. I think the snap up should be a bit more, I agree, though if we are getting retro from april on this, by the time we sign this that would be a decent amount in itself. We shoot it down, and they do move the date back to August, hell by that time it maybe February before we are voting again. My concern, and this is just my opinion if we shoot it down, I don't think between trying to play the mediators schedule again, that we will see a deal anytime real soon. I think what bothers me more, is yesterday was a prime example of bad times for SWA. A very sad and tragic day. All I'm gonna say is, happened last year, and we got lucky, yesterday a life was lost, and this could be a real game changer for our future, between lawsuits, Etops, other problems, what if the money gets taken off the table down the road. Just something to think about I guess.
I said a long time ago, greed kills. It's one thing to get what you think you are owed. But if you keep your scope you won. It's almost like some people are out to punish the company since we waited so long. Oh and there will be lawsuits and not the kind that go away. And passengers that will never fly SWA again.

While waiting on RS information and the company's propaganda spin I do think these discussions are useful if we can maintain civility. I've been an advocate (and others) for voting down a AIP for quite some time in order to send a clear message.

(Dec 2016 post)
*SWAPA pilots vote down t/a in November of 2015 sending a message to the company and approve t/a in November of 2016.
*SW flight attendants vote down t/a in July of 2015 sending a message to the company and approve t/a in October of 2016.
*AMFA mechanic negotiators make reasonable efforts to negotiate in good faith but are met with staunch resistance.

The rumored fear of our NC was that we would approve a substandard scope agreement so we were not allowed to vote down the company's first major offer in Aug 2016. If you recall it had a 14% snapup, 3% raises in 2017-20, $46M lump sum and abysmal scope. The company claimed a topped out mechanic would gain $141,000 over the 5 year contract, or $28,200 per year. Don't shoot the messenger but financially that was a better deal than is offered now. I truly felt in my Dec 2016 post that if properly marketed by our NC we would overwhelmingly turn down the company's offer in order to get a better deal on scope. That was not to be so here we are being asked supposedly to turn down this offer in order to get a better financial deal. The question we all have to ask ourselves is will we get a better deal a year down the road. History cannot be ignored but as others have said I'll wait till all the information is out before making my final decision.

Just curious: Does your current CBA have any language about Temporary Duty Assignments?

For example, opening up/staffing, say, SAN just for the winter.
Yes they would treat that as temporary bid, and follow the normal bid process by seniority.

While waiting on RS information and the company's propaganda spin I do think these discussions are useful if we can maintain civility. I've been an advocate (and others) for voting down a AIP for quite some time in order to send a clear message.

The rumored fear of our NC was that we would approve a substandard scope agreement so we were not allowed to vote down the company's first major offer in Aug 2016. If you recall it had a 14% snapup, 3% raises in 2017-20, $46M lump sum and abysmal scope. The company claimed a topped out mechanic would gain $141,000 over the 5 year contract, or $28,200 per year. Don't shoot the messenger but financially that was a better deal than is offered now. I truly felt in my Dec 2016 post that if properly marketed by our NC we would overwhelmingly turn down the company's offer in order to get a better deal on scope. That was not to be so here we are being asked supposedly to turn down this offer in order to get a better financial deal. The question we all have to ask ourselves is will we get a better deal a year down the road. History cannot be ignored but as others have said I'll wait till all the information is out before making my final decision.
Don't believe the company's propaganda. I do not believe the last offer was better. But I will research that and get back to ya.
I do agree that these last few media stories might affect the outcome. Just not sure which way at this point. For any of us on either side to use these latest incidents to either ones side would be almost criminal. For that being said I will wait for the RS's as well and make my decision after all info and facts are in writing and complete.

Don't believe the company's propaganda. I do not believe the last offer was better. But I will research that and get back to ya.
I do agree that these last few media stories might affect the outcome. Just not sure which way at this point. For any of us on either side to use these latest incidents to either ones side would be almost criminal. For that being said I will wait for the RS's as well and make my decision after all info and facts are in writing and complete.
Everyone needs to make up their own mind, however regardless if you want to admit or not. Circumstances change outcomes , I was thinking about that as I was reading the SWA stock holders report. It will have an impact on profits. It depends on public perception, maintenance cost, lawsuits, and the NTSB findings, and the FAA outcome. There is no one trying to change someone's vote on our side. Swampy you make whatever decision is best for you, based on how you perceive the offer. Here's to everyone having a better day than Tuesday was.

Unforseen this circumstance on this tragic incident on tuesday, is that a factor who knows? The company's position has always been we wanted a lot higher pay, we lost scope. This is why the negotiating committee asked for the moon last August. So in the end we maintained our scope, so therefore the monetary raises would not be as high. If you drive it higher, if you were successful, then they would want scope relief, and we are back to where we were. There are two contracts that become amenable in 2018, the F/A,s and customer service agents.

Latest posts