1st of 4 NW a/c will have new livery by 12/13/08

Click here to see some more of 6305...

Those are great shots.
All in all, I think it looks really good but I think the widget and "DELTA" should have been slightly larger and moved down some. Though come to think of it, maybe its high location is so that when the jetway is connected to 2L, "DELTA" is still seen from terminal windows, other a/c, etc. While most in this country know the Delta paint scheme, the a/c will be travelling to many new destinations in Asia and it's important for the main branding to be seen. Which leads me back to..... I think the powers-that-be (Mr.Anderson) should take a look and seriously consider enlarging the typeface ("DELTA"). It's not in proportion for the size of the aircraft.
Just 2 cents from a former advertising major. :D

Those are great shots.
All in all, I think it looks really good but I think the widget and "DELTA" should have been slightly larger and moved down some. Though come to think of it, maybe its high location is so that when the jetway is connected to 2L, "DELTA" is still seen from terminal windows, other a/c, etc. While most in this country know the Delta paint scheme, the a/c will be travelling to many new destinations in Asia and it's important for the main branding to be seen. Which leads me back to..... I think the powers-that-be (Mr.Anderson) should take a look and seriously consider enlarging the typeface ("DELTA"). It's not in proportion for the size of the aircraft.
Just 2 cents from a former advertising major. :D
Hi Luke,
overall I am impressed!..(but it is still going to take a little time getting use to)

when I first viewed the livery I thought the same regarding moving the font down a little...until I noticed the T was positioned either directly below.. or the top of the T is placed directly on the upper deck door. because the aircraft has an overwhelming white fuselage, the eye will go straight to any details..(such as the logo and brand name) had they positioned the L and the T down a little those two letters would lie over the upper deck door and would make the font appear broken...by placing the T on the upper deck door it makes the letters look uniform and smooth as much as possible. The color white has a tendancy to do that, it makes any color or details around that color the focus and a broken L and T over that door would actually look sloppy(in my opinion) thats just an observation though..

if you look at the DAL 70's livery 747 it appears the brand name is actually positioned where it was before or relatively in the same position, the difference with the 70's livery is the blue and red stripe that is not present today. if you look at the new DAL livery 744 and if there was a stripe the font would appear in the correct position..

there is so much white on that aircraft(being so large) that is probably why the font appears the way it does, but I do see your point and actually agree.

when the new livery in 2003 came out at NW I thought it was lacking and then after a while really liked it alot, maybe after time that will be the case?!

it looks wonderful and a very good job overall...its sad to see part of NWA history slip away and my heart sank a little today..Northwest was a huge part of many peoples lives regarding the hard work and dedication... yet at the same time.. looking forward to the future.. seeing a fresh new start...begin.

this must be the 4th or 5th different one
4th or 5th? ha! I dont think I have enough fingers and toes to count how many liveries the DC9 has sported...every color in the rainbow and then some...
but it appears they are going to squeeze out..at least one more! gotta love that little workhorse...the "new" DAL DC9 :)

I also preferred the older DL livery. This current one has too much white, and it gets dirty looking real fast. At least the older livery that had the stripe down the side distracted from that a bit. I have seen several of the A/C in this new livery, and they look lousey after a while. Most of them have the ring on the side where the Jetway meets up against the A/C.

This current one has too much white, Most of them have the ring on the side where the Jetway meets up against the A/C.
I remember we had a white car in the past..after taking it to the car wash and drying... it stayed white ...until the drive back home...

maybe they should put a big ole giant widget on the side of the plane where the boarding door is positioned??...wouldnt have to worry about any jetway grime being that noticeable then!!

but then on the other hand its not the paint color that is the problem...its the fact cleaning needs to be done to ground equiptment especially if grime appears to be applied to an aircraft exterior from a jet bridge. the stations in Asia I have visited are spotless(the baggage trucks sparkle..) so I know at minimum a jet bridge can attempted to be cleaned routinely! or that seal or whatever it is needs to be replaced or covered with something... cleaned..whatever!... anyhoo! :)

if they took Luke's idea and lowered the font down and pushed the widget forward(and made it a little more substancial) it would appear a little more balanced on that particular aircraft because of the proximity of where the brand and logo is located... on an area of the aircraft that has an upper deck.

or!

maybe they should focus on being fair and respectful to the people who work in and around the aircraft so customers continue to come back and the brand name position....isnt a big deal at...all!

more than likely viewing the aircraft new livery in real time(instead of a photograph) it will be fine, because of how enormous the aircraft really is...everything(including the font) will be in scale!

Why do we do others heavy checks (RAM) but not our own?
The RAM checks aren't really heavy checks. They fall into the same as the 767 PSV that we do on our own fleet. The only checks that we do still do that come close to a D check is the last PSV in the cycle for the 777 and the 738. Tony tried to outsource those in 05 but I think they had a tough time finding a place for them. They then scrambled to man those lines just six months after they furloughed a bunch of AMT's.

This sort of what I was driving at. I'd also like to see some of the (now) bigger cities reopened to DL AMT's, but that isn't likely. I know we've discussed PDX as an example of this previously.

He might not be going all the way back in, but can't we at least stuff a leg or 2 back in? :)

Seriously, what about some of the hangar space NW brings to the table? I realize D checks are probably out, but outsourcing without maximizing all facilities & manpower to it's fullest is awful.

Note: I pretty sure we see eye to eye on all of this, even if I'm not making myself clear.

Interesting. Older A/C aside, isn't there enough work with the combined fleet to keep most tracks running consistently?
I don't know what the status is in MSP. How much of the hangar space that was used for NW heavy checks is still in company hands? I know they dumped the Duluth base that was doing the A320 work and the ATL hangar that was doing the DC9 work. I'm sure if there is space we will be using it to it's maximum potential. Tech Ops has a history of stacking hangars full.

The RAM checks aren't really heavy checks. They fall into the same as the 767 PSV that we do on our own fleet. The only checks that we do still do that come close to a D check is the last PSV in the cycle for the 777 and the 738. Tony tried to outsource those in 05 but I think they had a tough time finding a place for them. They then scrambled to man those lines just six months after they furloughed a bunch of AMT's.

Maybe I misunderstood my foreman (or more likely he is unsure), he told us we had 2 767 HMVs for RAM coming in. Scheduled for 35 days each.

I don't know what the status is in MSP. How much of the hangar space that was used for NW heavy checks is still in company hands? I know they dumped the Duluth base that was doing the A320 work and the ATL hangar that was doing the DC9 work. I'm sure if there is space we will be using it to it's maximum potential. Tech Ops has a history of stacking hangars full.

Most of the MSP hangars have been demolished to make way for airport expansion. The ATL and DLH hangars have long since been abandoned.

Maybe I misunderstood my foreman (or more likely he is unsure), he told us we had 2 767 HMVs for RAM coming in. Scheduled for 35 days each.
Well that sure does sound like an HMV. I was thinking about the checks we have been doing for RAM for the past 4 or 5 years. I bet RAM is paying us more than we pay HACO for our 767 checks. My thought is they couldn't get a good deal anywhere else. It is only for two aircraft. A place like HACO couldn't be bothered. We on the other hand are already in RAM's maintenance program.

Latest posts