1st of 4 NW a/c will have new livery by 12/13/08

Boy I am really looking forward to seeing the old 9's painted in DL colors again!
I wonder how many will they paint, and what type of tail would it have?

(BTW: I'm not too fond of the "wavy gravy" tail scheme, but the "widget" pointed in the "North West" position would be a fitting tribute though!)

Looking forward to seeing the ol' gals at EWR!

Do anybody know the schedule when they will paint the A330's?

Boy I am really looking forward to seeing the old 9's painted in DL colors again!
I wonder how many will they paint, and what type of tail would it have?

(BTW: I'm not too fond of the "wavy gravy" tail scheme, but the "widget" pointed in the "North West" position would be a fitting tribute though!)

Looking forward to seeing the ol' gals at EWR!

Do anybody know the schedule when they will paint the A330's?
We had the nw dc-9 in delta colors in our station the other day. I thought that the silver nwa paint job sucked at first but it grew on ya. The new paint job on our 9s is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen. With a new airline and all that has gone into this merger I can't believe that we wouldn't change the paint jobs. The white paint looks like hell already.

One other item to point out; it's VERY difficult to see ice on the white fuselage. That may not much matter in places, like ATL, but in MSP, DTW & the rest of the upper midwest, it's a big deal.

A few things may occur:

1. It takes longer to de-ice, simply because the de-icer needs to take longer to look for spots.

2. Glycol usage increases, as people decide (or are ordered) to keep things moving, and decide to just "spray the sh*t" out of the planes, even if the amount of buildup doesn't warrant that..

3. Someone does neither and misses a lot of clear ice.

We had the nw dc-9 in delta colors in our station the other day. I thought that the silver nwa paint job sucked at first but it grew on ya. The new paint job on our 9s is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen. With a new airline and all that has gone into this merger I can't believe that we wouldn't change the paint jobs. The white paint looks like hell already.

Happy N.Y. everyone!

It's certainly cost-prohibitive (a term you'll hear a lot at DL) to start yet another new livery when this current one was just introduced not even 2 years ago. It would also be confusing to the consumer as well. And it would be yet a 4th livery since 1997. Delta's already received enough criticism for the 3 they've done since then!!
I think the current livery is a clean, uncluttered look...what I believe they were going for. Plus on another forum it was noted that this design can painted much faster than the last one. (less days in the paint shop)
I always liked the last NW paintjob..especially the tail. The grey fuselage I was never crazy about but it looked good with just the one primary color (red). I don't think it would look good with two primary colors (red and blue).
Like I said in another thread, IMHO all they need to do is pump-up the lettering. That thin, clean typeface looks fine on paper/stationery and indoor signage but not on the aircraft themselves.

Happy N.Y. everyone!

It's certainly cost-prohibitive (a term you'll hear a lot at DL) to start yet another new livery when this current one was just introduced not even 2 years ago. It would also be confusing to the consumer as well. And it would be yet a 4th livery since 1997. Delta's already received enough criticism for the 3 they've done since then!!
I think the current livery is a clean, uncluttered look...what I believe they were going for. Plus on another forum it was noted that this design can painted much faster than the last one. (less days in the paint shop)
I always liked the last NW paintjob..especially the tail. The grey fuselage I was never crazy about but it looked good with just the one primary color (red). I don't think it would look good with two primary colors (red and blue).
Like I said in another thread, IMHO all they need to do is pump-up the lettering. That thin, clean typeface looks fine on paper/stationery and indoor signage but not on the aircraft themselves.
what is interesting regarding the new livery especially on the DC9 is simply the current livery with the pearl grey and sleek red design on the tail gives that aircraft a modern look...but with the new euro-white makes it appear dated again on that particular aircraft and there is way to much red on the tail (just my observation)...or maybe it was just the layers of obvious caked on dirt/snow/whatever it was... that made it appear horrendous when I drove to work and saw it at parked at the end of the terminal(and I see Bagboy's point). The logo on the DC9 tail actually appears to be too large considering the size of that aircraft on the newest livery while the lettering on the wide bodies are too small..it almost appears there is a one size fit all logo and they just make it fit...regardless of the size of the tail it is applied.

I do like the look on most of the other planes but the DC9, they need to really focus on keeping those planes cleaner, if that is what it ends up looking like after a couple of weeks..(and I did not notice that with the pearl)..taking into consideration it is winter time..but still...

what is interesting regarding the new livery especially on the DC9 is simply the current livery with the pearl grey and sleek red design on the tail gives that aircraft a modern look...but with the new euro-white makes it appear dated again on that particular aircraft and there is way to much red on the tail (just my observation)...

Well, there are only so many ways to dress up what is basically a 40 year-old a/c which, for the life of me, I can't understand why it's still in the fleet of any airline. (Poorer 3rd world countries excluded).
Not sure I understand your criticism of too much red on the tail when that's the ONLY color that's on the NW tail.

But there are many more important issues coming down the pike in 2009 including FA union representation/vote and seniority integration. Any news on the law-suit front? (Should we start a new thread?) lol

Well, there are only so many ways to dress up what is basically a 40 year-old a/c which, for the life of me, I can't understand why it's still in the fleet of any airline. (Poorer 3rd world countries excluded).
Not sure I understand your criticism of too much red on the tail when that's the ONLY color that's on the NW tail.

But there are many more important issues coming down the pike in 2009 including FA union representation/vote and seniority integration. Any news on the law-suit front? (Should we start a new thread?) lol
actually the interiors of the DC9 are quite nice, they have a modern feel about the cabin including the refurbishment of the sidewalls, overhead compartments, lavs and of course the galley areas...

that aircraft is probably still in the fleet because obviously they love it, its built like a tank, has an incredible dispatch reliability and its paid for..

Luke, I am not being critical of the design of the logo, it is an observation, and yes you are correct there appears to be more red on the tail with the new livery on the DC9 and the logo does not seem scale(actually the aircraft resembles the post merger NWO/RAL DC9 when the fuselage was all white and the tail was solid red) maybe that is what it is reminding me of...

The paint scheme(current NW) for some reason modernized the overall look of that particular aircraft...maybe it was the pearl color and the way the tail was designed that gave it a more updated/modern feel...and yes you are correct I see a NWA tail on a DAL livery because of a predominate red color...on the DC9 with such a large red widget when I should be seeing DAL..is it a big deal? not really.. just some additional comments that.. I just thought I would share.

a new thread? maybe!..(you seem to have a knack regarding creating popular topics!)

For some reason.. I recall remembering hearing that some more DC9's were being pulled from the desert and being put back in service? but not sure if that is actually fact.