5 F/A Bases closing

sfoflyguy

Aug 20, 2002
Delta announced closing of 5 flight attendant bases. All bases announced would be closed by 1st quarter 2003.
SEA
PDX
CHI
MSY
IAH

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/22/2002 11:20:13 PM sfoflyguy wrote:

Delta announced closing of 5 flight attendant bases. All bases announced would be closed by 1st quarter 2003.
SEA
PDX
CHI
MSY
IAH
----------------
[/blockquote]

Are these bases relatively small? I imagine they are quite senior. What is the number of flight attendants affected?

[P]Very senior bases average 200-300 FA's, total affected is around 1300. I'd guess seniority averages about 20 years. Expect many retirements or leaves since most openings will be in NYC, limited in ATL.[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/23/2002 10:25:58 AM FA Mikey wrote:

What other bases does Delta have in there system?
----------------
[/blockquote]
SLC,DFW,ATL,NYC,LAX,CVG,MCO,BOS. Can't remember any more.

Why should the commute be paid for, positive space, or SA? That's going to cause problems among the other commuters. I can see the company doing it for a few months, but for balance of career? Doubt that'll happen. There would have to be potential for abuse there. Anyone remember how it was handled when they closed the short-lived WAS base?

Dan Lewis Delta spoksman says.

Attendants begin their service each day at the bases. Flight attendants will still be able to live in New Orleans and the airline will pay for their commutes.

[/blockquote]
SLC,DFW,ATL,NYC,LAX,CVG,MCO,BOS. Can't remember any more.
----------------
[/blockquote]

MIA/FLL also

Let's see, put a couple air marshals on a MSY-ATL flight, then put a number of commuting FA's on the flight as well. Has the potential to impact revenue in a market that probably already takes a hit because of competition from FL. I'd be VERY surprised if it was SA travel.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/23/2002 12:32:15 PM FA Mikey wrote:

Dan Lewis Delta spoksman says.

Attendants begin their service each day at the bases. Flight attendants will still be able to live in New Orleans and the airline will pay for their commutes.

----------------
[/blockquote]
I think this spokesman's remarks were misunderstood or will need revisioning. Commutes are each FA's responsiblity, whether you use ID 90, jumpseat, passes or drive, that won't change.
Delta will pay relocation monies to those who wish to move to another base or station, from an affected closure.

Paid relocation from DL? I tried that once! If you are affected, make sure you have a tax professional look at the offer before you accept it. That paid move cost me a lot of money....

I believe Delta still has FA's based in BOM that do the CDG trip.

FA Mikey-
Delta doesn't have service charge for non-revs unless you have more than 20 international travel days.

Aren't those Foreign Nationals that maintain a separate seniority list from the rest of the Delta system?

Also, what was the short lived WAS base? Were is WAS?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/23/2002 5:55:47 PM FL370 wrote:

I believe Delta still has FA's based in BOM that do the CDG trip.

FA Mikey-
Delta doesn't have service charge for non-revs unless you have more than 20 international travel days.

----------------
[/blockquote]

The BOM base was closed while I was still w/ the company. If it has been reopened with foreign natioanl FA's I was unaware. The foreign national FA's that came from PA were on seperate seniority lists, and were based in TLV, WAW (Warsaw), and BOM.

WAS is the generic code for Washington DC. WAS will give you both IAD and DCA departures, depending on the res system. WAS based FA's flew shuttle out of DCA and IAD-FRA, if I'm not mistaken.