500 Layoffs

happy01

Advanced
Sep 21, 2007
An announcement went out yesterday that 10% of non-union administrative and management positions will be cut, equivalent to approximately 500 positions. You hear the word management position, and you think they'd be getting rid of some dead weight at the top, right? At least I did, but oh noooooo its the underpaid managers of the over worked departments and their underpaid employees. Supposedly noone's position is safe, it doesn't matter how long or how short of a time you have been with the company.

An announcement went out yesterday that 10% of non-union administrative and management positions will be cut, equivalent to approximately 500 positions. You hear the word management position, and you think they'd be getting rid of some dead weight at the top, right? At least I did, but oh noooooo its the underpaid managers of the over worked departments and their underpaid employees. Supposedly noone's position is safe, it doesn't matter how long or how short of a time you have been with the company.
Does that mean the CEO too???? :lol:

Does that mean the CEO too???? :lol:
Don't we wish. :rolleyes: I think he and Kirby should have to give up their slaries until things are fixed and the company is showing a profit. I bet that would give them quick incentive to remove their heads from their hinies, and make some real changes.

Does this include inflight management? Inflight Supervisors? Just curious

How about getting rid of that ridiculous inflight observation and coaching program. What a complete waste of money that is. What problems has it solved? What good has it done? To pay a bunch of flight attendants to fly around and coach people on a job that they have been doing for years is ridiculous. I can't imagine how much they would save right then and there alone.

Does this include inflight management? Inflight Supervisors? Just curious
No idea, they're being very secretive and vague. I'm assuming inflight management and supervisors are covered by the union? The announcement said non-union admin and management. Now that could be a play on words, and mean only non-union admin but union and non union management. Or it could be non union admin and non union management. It doesn't specifically say non union admin and non union management. The letter is on Wings and the Hub under US News Now, if you want to check it out and see what you get out of it. At this point I'm not believing a word that comes out of their collective mouths, because just a few weeks ago we were all told our jobs were safe and we had nothing to worry about. We asked if they were taking volunteers, and were told no. If we want to leave fine, but it won't save anybody elses job if they are on the chopping block.

How about getting rid of that ridiculous inflight observation and coaching program. What a complete waste of money that is. What problems has it solved? What good has it done? To pay a bunch of flight attendants to fly around and coach people on a job that they have been doing for years is ridiculous. I can't imagine how much they would save right then and there alone.
Are you kidding me? Jobs like this really exist? Who comes up with these made up jobs? Better yet, how do I get one?

I am sure each director will decide who/were to cut that is usually how they do these things. I would like to see a more agressive approach. We do not need the same back office work groups in PHX, PIT & CLT for example. Most will cute a few heads but I doubt any will be so bold to say I don't need three locations.

I received this info in an email yesterday. What gets me is the email said they are "so sad" they have to do this and the employees will be given a package of pay, health benefits and travel benefits. They also said some of the positions included in the 500 are those that are already vacant, and the remaining would happen over a period of time....not all at once. Well, gee. The pilots and f/a's didn't get any kind of "I'm sorry we have to furlough you" and we weren't offered any kind of "package", just travel bennies...which most won't be able to use because guess what....they won't have any $$$ because they won't have a job.

I agree with the above poster.....Doug and Scott need to give up their salary for the rest of the year, and all of 2009....at the very least.

If you become a supervisor or management you are not union anymore nor covered by the CBA.

I couldn't agree more. I have friends that do the coaching thing and it's a pretty good deal, pay wise that is. I respect those in the position, as most of them are excellent flight attendants, but I have done this for 10 years and if I haven't figured it out by now, then just kick me out the door. They could probably save save bucks suspending that program until the economy is back in the positive.

Back