500 Layoffs

I agree with the above poster.....Doug and Scott need to give up their salary for the rest of the year, and all of 2009....at the very least.
Doug already did give up his salary for the rest of this year, he invested it back into the company.

Here's a question for you hpflygirl, if YOU were asked to give up your salary for a year and continue working, would you do the same?

Doug already did give up his salary for the rest of this year, he invested it back into the company.

Here's a question for you hpflygirl, if YOU were asked to give up your salary for a year and continue working, would you do the same?

Ever hear of lee Iacocca accepting a dollar per year when taking the reins at Chrysler? Any true "Leader" would have no problem doing exactly that, just to hold the Banner aloft for all concerned...especially when he's already a multimillionaire. Where's the "sacrifice"?..as opposed to how much respect such a gesture properly gains?

"if YOU were asked to give up your salary for a year and continue working, would you do the same?" Here's one for you: If you had half your pay taken, plus your pension...would YOU be willing to still work to keep this ever-struggling operation going? Thousands have, and it's safe to say that the vast majority of them aren't millionaires. Is it too much to expect the least bit of "sacrifice" from the supposed "Leadership" during troubled times?

Doug did not invest any money back into the company. He purchased stock from someone who was selling it at a price he was willing to pay. US did not receive one cent more of capital from that transaction.

If Doug is correct, and the company stock goes up, and he sells for more he makes a profit. If the stock goes further down and he sells for less he looses. In both cases it does not make a bit of difference to US capitalization. Long and short, it was a publicity stunt, that only cost him cash flow at this time, and no cash. This is because he traded cash for stock certificates and both are considered assets.

If I had the same "total" compensation package as Parker, I would gladly give up my "salary" and continue working. Check out the 10k and the details of Parker's total compensation.

An announcement went out yesterday that 10% of non-union administrative and management positions will be cut, equivalent to approximately 500 positions. You hear the word management position, and you think they'd be getting rid of some dead weight at the top, right? At least I did, but oh noooooo its the underpaid managers of the over worked departments and their underpaid employees. Supposedly noone's position is safe, it doesn't matter how long or how short of a time you have been with the company.

Wrap you head around these numbers:

10% reduction equals 500 or so of non-union administrative and management.

That means US has 5000 personal in those positions.

That equals 15% of the total work force or 1 out of every 7 employees.

If those employees average $2000 a month that equals $120,000,000 a year.

Just one of those thinks that make you go Hmmmmmmmmm.

Just how many of these 'cuts' will be made up of clerical administrative types....and how many of the supervisor/forman/manager types do you think they will cut.....???

There won't be may people losing jobs here. Read what was said:

An announcement went out yesterday that 10% of non-union administrative and management positions will be cut, equivalent to approximately 500 positions.

Positions, not employees. They're eliminating unfilled positions.

I received this info in an email yesterday. What gets me is the email said they are "so sad" they have to do this and the employees will be given a package of pay, health benefits and travel benefits. They also said some of the positions included in the 500 are those that are already vacant, and the remaining would happen over a period of time....not all at once. Well, gee. The pilots and f/a's didn't get any kind of "I'm sorry we have to furlough you" and we weren't offered any kind of "package", just travel bennies...which most won't be able to use because guess what....they won't have any $$$ because they won't have a job.

I agree with the above poster.....Doug and Scott need to give up their salary for the rest of the year, and all of 2009....at the very least.
I know the letter said over a period of time, but they told us in the meeting that they hoped to have this wrapped up by next week definitely in two weeks. I know CNA and CBRO have already had to make their decisions/moves. And don't worry the "packages" don't really appear to be worth much.

Well, that's good math except most of us don't make $2000 a month. We're seriously underpaid like everybody else.

There won't be may people losing jobs here. Read what was said:

Positions, not employees. They're eliminating unfilled positions.
You're right it does say positions, but we were told in no uncertain terms that these empty positions will be taken into consideration and cuts will be made.

Well, that's good math except most of us don't make $2000 a month. We're seriously underpaid like everybody else.

You probably are, you just don't see it. There is social security(941s), state unemployment, state worker's compensation insurance, medical insurance; the list goes on and on. Usually the real cost to employ someone is a little under twice their income.

Happy
Maybe I shouldn't have put that line in there. The thing that amazed me was that there were that many positions in admin and management.

Back