6-month Personal Leaves of Absence Proffered

Better a PLOA than a furlough! You and I have been down this road more times than we care to count so we'll see what happens next.

I asked a MOD yesterday why the company was doing this. She said it was too late to stop the return of the recalls as things were already too far in motion. The reason for the PLOA is they will be pulling down the Summer schedule a bit because of high jet fuel costs. There will be cutting unprofitable flights.... She said all the managers had received this in an email from HQ. She did not understand why it was not shared with the FA's...... I asked what flights are being cut.... She said they have not told us that......

I don't think it is wrong. My union protected my seniority here at AA. If you thought you would waltz in here and steal my seniority....I guess YOU were wrong.

Yep they protected it alright, where it has stagnated for 9 years...and I didn't want YOUR senority, I wanted MINE.

I'm sorry to be such an uncaring, nitpicking SOB, but what the hell does the TWA seniority issue have to do with AA's decision to offer voluntary leaves in the midst of a massive FA recall?

It was 10 years ago. Time to move on.

As to the topic, looks like the fuel spike caught mAAnagement by surprise and the recall was too far along to cancel, so the leaves make sense.

I'm sorry to be such an uncaring, nitpicking SOB, but what the hell does the TWA seniority issue have to do with AA's decision to offer voluntary leaves in the midst of a massive FA recall?

It was 10 years ago. Time to move on.

As to the topic, looks like the fuel spike caught mAAnagement by surprise and the recall was too far along to cancel, so the leaves make sense.

Or maybe they just want to have everyone remaining on the recall list trained, just in case.

Honey, you got your seniority. It is April 10, 2001...right where your disaster of an airline ceased existence.

Feel better? You won't have to worry about the former TWA people. The hired will run so fast it will be over before anyone can wave the rally flag. Even in your 5 day wonder you had so many cross the union was freaking. I'm old and I remember..lol

Don't think there will be a strike. AA is having too much fun saving a million a day with the RPA giveback.

Reactions: 1 person
Feel better? You won't have to worry about the former TWA people. The hired will run so fast it will be over before anyone can wave the rally flag. Even in your 5 day wonder you had so many cross the union was freaking. I'm old and I remember..lol

Don't think there will be a strike. AA is having too much fun saving a million a day with the RPA giveback.

Are you sure about that?

It seems your Flight Attendant Coalition members will cross a picket line.

TWA IS DEAD and you all got your AA seniority. You have a job, a pay raise from TWA and full vacation! You could have been on the street with no job, like many other people in this country. Be thankful you have a job!

So done with the complaining we got screwed or we hate AA or we will get our seniority.

Your pal Senator Claire McCaskill is in hot water these days and will not be able to "save the day" for you again:

Hot Water

More Hot Water

Even More Hot Water

Are you sure about that?

It seems your Flight Attendant Coalition members will cross a picket line.

TWA IS DEAD and you all got your AA seniority. You have a job, a pay raise from TWA and full vacation! You could have been on the street with no job, like many other people in this country. Be thankful you have a job!

So done with the complaining we got screwed or we hate AA or we will get our seniority.

Your pal Senator Claire McCaskill is in hot water these days and will not be able to "save the day" for you again:

Hot Water

More Hot Water

Even More Hot Water

1. We'll have to see. I think hired will run much faster. And, as said before, probably a moot issue. No strike. APFA blew a really good opportunity to seal the deal.
2. Nobaody said a word about hating AA. I think we can ALL safely say we wish it hadn't happened.
3. Claire has never done anything for anyone but herself and the APFA. Will be interesting to see how new charges pan out. In the scheme of misdoings in DC, this is minor. Not anywhere near the bathroom, leaving your ill wife, et al that we've been "graced" with during the past few years.

Reactions: 1 person

It doesn't matter whether or not it "makes sense." In a situation where the company has an overage of flight attendants, they are required (by our contract) to offer LOAs before they can furlough any active f/as. When I started this thread, I had forgotten about that provision in the contract. If the proffer is not fully subscribed, I would not be surprised to see another furlough occur.

Jim, BEFORE any furloughs can happen, AA has to offer "overage Leaves". These leaves are not the same. I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun on talking about Furloughs. We are nowhere near that point yet. AA could still rescind some or all of the recalls if they wanted to. That would cause some bad publicity and some hard feelings, but IF they really were in a dire situation to get rid of people, that is still an option. In the end, I think the PLOA's will be what people want and won't cause any huge problems. I still think that all furlough's will be back by the end of the year. Why ramp up the 4 week training and only train 75% of the total possible for the class? In the whole scheme of things, it isn't a lot of people. Just my opinion.

Whether you call it a PLOA, an OLOA, or a ham and cheese sandwich, the company does not offer bid leaves AND extended LOAs at the same time unless there is a staffing problem--temporary or otherwise. I agree with MK that if they can get the PLOA fully subscribed, normal attrition should cover that amount in 6 months. But, ask yourself, when was the last time you observed AMR corporation doing the benevolent thing toward the flight attendants because it was the benevolent thing to do and not because some accountant said so?

when was the last time you observed AMR corporation doing the benevolent thing toward the flight attendants because it was the benevolent thing to do and not because some accountant said so?

When they offered unlimited recall a few weeks ago, instead of hiring FSD's?...

I've seen AA carry headcount for a quarter instead of laying off on several occasions. Sometimes the layoffs still had to happen, but at least they didn't just cut first and ask questions later...

I know, I know... things changed.

When they offered unlimited recall a few weeks ago, instead of hiring FSD's?...

I've seen AA carry headcount for a quarter instead of laying off on several occasions. Sometimes the layoffs still had to happen, but at least they didn't just cut first and ask questions later...

I know, I know... things changed.
Benevolence or good business sense? Lay people off nowadays (yep even with record high unemployment) and you are not likely to get them back, especially if they are go-getters. AA found that out with their mechanics. In my area they saw a 90% rejection rate, all guys that the company dumped hundreds of hours of training into.