E190

I wouldn't worry too much about the problems B6 is having with the 190. They just haven't learned how to operate them yet, although they do have a great benefit of having former MDA guys with them.

That would entail calling the MDA people back, which is not neccessarily seniority order.

Just a thought on the 170/190 aircraft. The operators got exactly what they asked for in terms of cost, fuel burn and capacity. That the aircraft have had many teething problems I do not dispute. That Embrier has stepped out with this product and its innovative systems should be applauded, whether it will stand the test of time, we will see. Hey the f-100 was no sweetie either when it was new. The fly by wire technology will only become more prevailent in all products, and it will improve in aviation just as it has in the car and heavy truck industry. Embrace technological changes, they are not going away. B)

Here's a article about the E190 and there problems's at JB.JetBlue wrestles with E-190 snags

I've yet to work a new type of a/c that didn't have issues in the beginng. I, for one, look forward to working the aircraft. My sister has flown on the 170 and LOVED it. She said it was one of the most comfortable ac's she has been on.

As far as the MDA f/a's are concerned, the a/c were sold to Republic. They are gone. Question? Was there protections to take on the pilots and f/a's? If so, then definitely keep the lawsuit. If not, you're waisting time and money.

Since MDA is no longer, the a/c will go to the mainline as per the interim contracts.

For the complaining pilot about a low pay scale...so? What's new here. I guess all of you should get paid A330 pay? I mean your job is no harder or easier than that of any other pilot. Geez, give me a break!!

Lets hope that this is a growth a/c and that it does stay on East certificate as we have more on furlough and would be able to have our furloughed f/a's back and NOT working as new hires like those going to West.

Finally, the interiors of the 170/190 are amazing. Talk of inconsistancy. Fly on a small aircraft and it looks luxurious. Fly on our huge A330 and fly on worn out, thread barren seats. Smart move, Tempe.

Embraer has analyzed the teething problems with Jetblue and the 170 with US and has changed certain parts in the maufacturing proccess and retrofitted them to active planes. Jetblue had Embraer assistance present at JFK to help troubleshoot problems. If anything, with Jetblue having th 190 first Embraer is aware of common problems and the right solutions.

Why is a low cost carrier putting First Class seating in new arrival aircraft?
Although I think we should be a carrier that offers First Class I am just trying to figure out what LCC’s business model is.
No UM’s connecting, No pet’s as check luggage,2/3 of the airline is RJ’s,No more Envoy,Multitle fares with restricted rules, Are we just trying to walk the line to go either way? Is there more going on? WE have 757 with 8 first class and now we are going to have E190 with 11 first class.

I totally understand what your saying! However US Airways does still carry a very, very large amount of buisness travelers that refuse to fly on SouthWest. I think its a good move to put first class seating in the EMB 190, it gives the aircraft some personality.

For those without access to the intra-company news, here's the proposed layout of the E-190's. The blue circle with the "3" is the page number in 'about US' - disregard that.

View attachment 4380

Looks like the FF's will be competing for the front 3 seats.

Jim

As far as the MDA f/a's are concerned, the a/c were sold to Republic. They are gone. Question? Was there protections to take on the pilots and f/a's? If so, then definitely keep the lawsuit. If not, you're waisting time and money.

The "MDA" FA lawsuit has nothing to do with Republic. It has to do with being recalled to the mainline certificate for two years but the company not honoring that time as longevity. They are not suing for jobs at Republic- who would want one. They want thier time served to be figured into thier longevity like everyone else, even the furloughees who choose to work at America West. I believe they may also be looking for back mainline pay as there was no contract but they operated under the mainline certificate, and therefore should be paid accordingly.

The company owes about 400 FAs at the most $7-10,000 each and add thier credit time at "MDA" when they return. No big deal, it costs more to fuel 1 A330 than it would to give these loyal FAs what they deserve. Instead the company will spend millions to drag a lawsuit on for years, rather than admit to a past management's cruel treatment of it's own employees.

The 170s were fantastic and hugely popular with the customers and the crews (not so much now that they have a contract commuter flying them "Express-style.") The 190s should be a perfect addition to the fleet... it's just too bad there are already the equivalent of a scab company on the property flying the same aircraft in US colors...

Could the reason for Jet Blue's difficulty with the EMB-190 be at least partly the newness of the company?

Inexperienced or less experienced AMT's versus US?

The E-70 had some software issues that I saw first hand as the poor woman pilot rebooted the system 3 times before it would come up and the passengers joking that Bill Gates must have wrote the software.

Heh. Heh. Bob, now that's funny. You know Bill Gates doesn't write software anymore. He's too busy counting his money and figuring out ways to monopolize the operating system market and make all of the money.

No, the EMB170 software is much more reliable than Windows, despite the bugs.

Just a few things to add to the conversation.

1. The issues that jetBlue is having with their introduction of the E-190 will not realloy be an factor here. We have already gone through the same "new fleet type" problems. We already have people that know how to fly and fix the aircraft, thus the reason the feds have allowed us to add the E-190 onto the US certificate without proving runs and new manuals and so on.

2. Midatlantic was quoted to be able to operate the E-170's cheaper than Republic. Add in reliablity and the higher quality of the operation and it is obvious that flying the E-170's ourselves would be the preferred course. It was only the deal made in BK that the company could not get out of that meant that we now have to pay someone else more to handle this flying for us, than we could have done it ourselves.

So US paying more for an outside operation that is much lower quality? The difference is night and day. It's amazing how different on-time departures, pilot interaction with customers, and especially cabin service can be depending on who's doing it.

If you were to want to give someone a positive impression of US Airways, you'd put them on a MidAtlantic flight- FAs trained for world class service, and commited enough to thier company to return for a massive paycut, pilots with decades of experience returning under the same circumstances, a brand new airplane with the most comfortable coach seat in the entire fleet, and kept spotless by the employees who loved thier new toy. There was nothing "Express" about the operation at all-- a complete class act.

Now you have Republic and you do feel like you're on a regional jet, and on Express. The planes are dirty. The pilots are kids who are thrilled to have taken a mainline pilots job and do it cheaper. The FAs are young and inexperienced, and either get no service training or just haven't picked up on it. They spend the flight harrassing passengers about special Republic rules about windowshades and magazine pockets and cellphones. All amenities like meals, pillows have been pulled. They seem to be working out teething issues with the 170 that US Airways worked out when they first got it, so it's always broken.

It's just too much airplane for a commuter airline, hopefully Tempe takes the customer complaints seriously. Whether it's flying or maintenance, you can't put a price on the quality from someone with loyalty to the brand that's on the side of the plane because they actually work there.

2. Midatlantic was quoted to be able to operate the E-170's cheaper than Republic. Add in reliablity and the higher quality of the operation and it is obvious that flying the E-170's ourselves would be the preferred course. It was only the deal made in BK that the company could not get out of that meant that we now have to pay someone else more to handle this flying for us, than we could have done it ourselves.
Why did we give them away to begin with? $$$$ sale your soul to the $$$$.