767 upgrades - is it true?!

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Someone posted in flyertalk.com that Doug announced yesterday

"20 million upgrades just announced. All new seats, lie flat in envoy w/ 8 inches more pitch and new IE systems, seats ordered will be installed at C-Checks."

I would have thought to see that posted here as well, but don't see it. Is it true? If so, what's the C-check schedule on the 767s? And, to accomplish lie flat seats with 8 more inches of pitch, will they remove a row of Envoy or move the coach bulkhead back and eliminate a row of coach?

True. Also that there is a 12 month lead time on getting some of the needed components, so the refurbishment is that far away. I'd take it to mean during the off season during the winter of 2006/2007 [senility strikes - make that 2007/2008 - Jim].

Jim

[Edit to add]

They also said that the coach seats would just be recovered. Is it possible to install the individual seatback screens without replacing the seats, since that could determine what type of IFE is installed - on demand system like the A330 or just an upgraded version of the present system.

I presume "lie flat" to be the ones that are flat, but at an angle. Not truely flat sleepers that are 180 degrees horizontal. Kind of like what Lufthansa, Qantas, Sinagpore and, most recently, American are installing.

http://lufthansa-business-class.de/uk/flash.html
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/trave...ationalBusiness
http://www.aa.com/content/utility/new_business.jhtml

The way I see it, this can happen 2 ways -

1. expand the rows by 32" (8 x 4), equalling exactly one row of coach to remove.

2. remove an Envoy row (55") and expand the other 3 by 8", totalling a net INCREASE of 31". What becomes of that 31"? how about spreading out the front coach cabin and making some premium economy seats. oh...nah. Cram another row of coach in. 31" is plenty.... :)

As for the IFE - will it be on demand? Will coach each get their own seat back screen?

....2. remove an Envoy row (55") and expand the other 3 by 8", totalling a net INCREASE of 31". What becomes of that 31"? how about spreading out the front coach cabin and making some premium economy seats. oh...nah. Cram another row of coach in. 31" is plenty.... :)

As for the IFE - will it be on demand? Will coach each get their own seat back screen?
I think coach is being upgraded to PTVs, with IFEs in Envoy.

The idea of Premium Economy for TA is intriguing and could add to a flight's bottom line - just ask BA. Someone should propose it to Parker quickly. I heard that an outside 767 refurbishment firm already contracted to do this work?

Why not try a small Prem Economy section on the 330. Since it sounds like the last two rows of Envoy are coming out for more Y seats make it J30, 4 rows of prem economy at 32 seats or at least 3 at 24 and keep the current Y cabin intact, I think a good compromise.

Cheers

LGA777

Are the seats being purchased for Envoy the Recaro brand? Can the existing coach seats be retrofitted with PTVs or would they need a whole new seat?

Back