A Personal Thank You To Laura Glading

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
Recently, Laura Glading signed a Letter of Agreement with American Airlines to protect my recall rights with an "unlimited" expiration date in order to hire outside of seniority order. Rather than using this leverage to improve the current working environment, she decided to protect the jobs of (mostly) former TWA flight attendants.

Thank you, Laura!

I hate to rain on your hate parade, but the speakers are not being hired "outside of seniority order." Do you think the company doesn't already know that we have neither enough CM speakers on the active list nor on the furlough list? If you are fluent in Mandarin Chinese, now is the time to speak up; you are guaranteed a job at LAX-I. The CM speakers being hired will have a seniority number below the most junior former TW flight attendant. If there is a personnel reduction before all furloughees have been offered recall, they are the first to go. They can not transfer out of LAX-I as long as there are people on furlough. AND, if the company decides to terminate the LAX-PKG service while there are people still on furlough, the speakers will be furloughed as well.

I know that your mind is made up and when someone tries to confuse you with facts, it irritates you, but...

I may be wrong, but Glading doesn't deserve all the credit, does she? Wasn't this approved by the board? Wouldn't a letter like this have to be approved by the board? Or does the president have the power to make agreements like this?

I hate to rain on your hate parade, but the speakers are not being hired "outside of seniority order." Do you think the company doesn't already know that we have neither enough CM speakers on the active list nor on the furlough list? If you are fluent in Mandarin Chinese, now is the time to speak up; you are guaranteed a job at LAX-I. The CM speakers being hired will have a seniority number below the most junior former TW flight attendant. If there is a personnel reduction before all furloughees have been offered recall, they are the first to go. They can not transfer out of LAX-I as long as there are people on furlough. AND, if the company decides to terminate the LAX-PKG service while there are people still on furlough, the speakers will be furloughed as well.

I know that your mind is made up and when someone tries to confuse you with facts, it irritates you, but...

Now Jim, don't you think that was a sincere note of thanks? Although I would add if an LOA was signed that easily, another could also be signed if market share required their (the CM speakers) staying in the event of another furlough. It does seem that some pretty hefty bargaining chips were used of something that had already been agreed upon by both the company and the uniion. I see you're getting "company" in DFW.

The apfa should have been fighting all these years to keep or put back every single apfa member on the recall list who were depending on them......."the company just wouldn't budge" is not good enough. We (the stripped and stapled) have never lost sight of anyone who has fallen off and will do what we can to make sure that anyone including the over 700 naative f/a's who fell off the list have the opportunity to return if they want. An injury to one is an injury to all.

Reactions: 2 people
The apfa should have been fighting all these years to keep or put back every single apfa member on the recall list who were depending on them......."the company just wouldn't budge" is not good enough. We (the stripped and stapled) have never lost sight of anyone who has fallen off and will do what we can to make sure that anyone including the over 700 naative f/a's who fell off the list have the opportunity to return if they want. An injury to one is an injury to all.

Ah grasshopper, you have learned so well!

Reactions: 1 person
I see you're getting "company" in DFW.

Go wash your fingers with soap for typing dirty! It's just that what was done was legal as far as it goes. And, if I were working those flights I would prefer that the speakers be flight attendants who could assist in an emergency. Yes, the company was going to hire speakers anyway. It was our choice whether they were just FSMs (I think that's the term) who did the pas and helped with paperwork or if they were fully-qualified f/as.

I agree that the union got next to nothing in return, but do we delay company expansion until all furloughees have been recalled? I would imagine that we would lose the rights to the LAX-PKG flight if we don't initiate service on time or near to it. If there are any Mandarin speakers among the furloughees, it would seem that this is the time to speak up loud and clear (no pun intended).

I thought we'd already determined that the FSDs were jumpseat/EPT qualified, therefore could assist in an emergency. They just couldn't help with the service, other than the language PA's...

I thought we'd already determined that the FSDs were jumpseat/EPT qualified, therefore could assist in an emergency. They just couldn't help with the service, other than the language PA's...

THey were never EPT qualified as far as I know.

How about those who do Haiti and who flew Moscow while we had it? Did they sit in jumpseats or passenger seats?

MK

As long as there is FAA min. staffing, anyone can sit on a jumpseat. It is up to company/union agreements. Look at the FARs (unless it has been changed post 9-11)

How about those who do Haiti and who flew Moscow while we had it? Did they sit in jumpseats or passenger seats?

MK

The one time I worked DME, the FSD sat in a passenger seat and she was distinguished from the rest of us by wearing a red jacket. She did other duties other than passing out forms/pas and translations. On her days off, she worked in the office, promoted the route and assisted in customs. How many of us are fluent in Russian/Hungarian/ Creole? Not enough to support these flights.

One question.... Have you ever tried to make a deal with AA management ? THERE ARE RUTHLESS !!!!! Seen it many many times .... Just me the company always has the final word.

Why don't you direct your anger to the entity that furloughed you and that is American Airlines. It is up to them to extend recall rights. The fact is they just don't want to. Frankly, I don't want to ever have to work with your bitter a** either.