AA Lost Time Responses

FURP3

May 16, 2008
Acceptable responses to
Sick call counseling

The generic
It is with the deepest regret and heartfelt humility that I speak with you today concerning the recent use of my contractually allotted sick time. Due to unforeseen circumstances involving my health and well being I was unfortunately compelled to use the generous half-day sick pay benevolently bestowed upon me by my employer. I cannot begin to express the remorse and disappointment I have in myself and my immune system for having to expend such a magnanimous gift. Rest assured, from this day forth, it is my intent to strive for and achieve my most fervent goal of perfect attendance.

The Subservient
First let me say how much I value, respect and appreciate the hard work you and the lost time administration department have done for American Airlines and our bottom line. As an employee I strive for perfect attendance because I know we are a team at American and if we pull together we win together. Like the Critical departures throughout the day, I understand the importance of perfect attendance and I agree that every employee should place perfect attendance as a priority one critical so that the mutually shared sacrifice each employee endures for the good of the company will ensure the success of American Airlines and Operation Cooperation.

The Patriot
Regrettably, I was forced to call-in sick on the date/s in question. With every fiber of my being I wanted to be here on that day and achieve my goal of achieve perfect attendance. I so want and contribute to success of American Airlines. I understand that I am a valued employee with the world’s second largest airline and that makes me an integral part of the economy that is our great nation. In the future, my goal, or personal mission statement shall be “Ask not what American can do for me but rather what can I do for American.â€￾

The Paulson
I would like to provide an update on the state of my health, my employment, and my strategy for continued implementation of what I call the sick-call rescue package. As I assess where I am today, I believe I have taken the necessary steps to prevent a broad systemic event. Both at home and at work I have already seen signs of improvement. My immune system is stronger and more stable than just a few weeks ago. Although this is a major accomplishment, I have many challenges ahead. My immune system remains fragile in the face of the bacterial onslaught that resulted in a wellbeing downturn as well as a significant loss to my economic fluidity resulting from the half day sick pay I was forced to take in my weakened condition. Sick call turmoil should abate now that the biggest part of the health correction is behind me. For now my primary focus is recovery and repair of my perfect attendance record.

IAW numerous findings of the sick-time abuse panel and Arbitration:

A Union Member need offer only the following two claims as to why they used sick time;
1) Sick, not under a Doctors Care;
2) Sick, under a Doctors Care.

Anything other than that above can be used to show either a pattern of abuse or dishonesty: both termination offenses.

Under claim #1: the claimant can be placed under a 90 day sick note requirement if Local Mangement can prove a "pattern of usage" that is outside of the norm for that station: or placed on a Step 1 if they have exceeded their bank of sick time.

Under claim #2: the claimant can snail-mail a photo-copy of their Doctors' slip to AA Medical. They are not required to furnish any medical information to any AA Local Management whom are not Medically Qualified to interpret that information, and their sick time claim exceeded three scheduled shifts or in response to a chronic condition.

If the claimant is coverable under the FMLA: it is highly advisable that such coverage be requested through the appropriate channels.

Lastly, keep your Union Informed concerning absence from duty during scheduled work hours. While the TWU does suck, they are adept at keeping the company off the backs of the regularly malingering: they should be equally adept at keeping the company off the backs of members that are just experiencing difficult moments.

I say, get rid rid of the sick time "counselors'. What good are they? The airplanes will still fly without them.

Fool proof system. It worked like a charm for me for YEARS.

NEVER go into a SK discussion w/out a union steward. If you do, and get SCREWED..."GOOD" !!!! you deserved it(Even if you were legit)

Make SURE you go to your doc, ER....EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU ARE ABSENT !!!,..even if you are NOT on a 90 day requirement to bring a note.
(example), I got put on a "step" with a steward present, and I WAS sick. From that point forward, I VOWED that I would ALWAYS have "paperwork" in my pocket, for MY use.

Got "invited in" for a discussion, and I told the steward while we were en route, that I had a note in my front pocket. Once inside, we were losing the discussion, until the steward mentioned that I had a note in my pocket. "OK says the stupervisor,.....Let me see it"...."NO was our answer, because I'm NOT on a 90 day note" (Loooong pause by the Stupervisor)..."OK, get outta here he says"

Bottom line, if the STUPERVISOR had written up a step, he would have look like an Idiot during the grievance, WHICH would NEVER left the station, because the GM would have been given a "heads up"(by us) about the note...that I was NOT required to give the STUPERVISOR !

It worked EVER TIME !!

In over 22 years, I cannot count on all 10 fingers, ANY and ALL.. AA policy's that were "Air tight" due to incompetence by whatever NIT WIT wrote it in Texas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, fer cryin' out loud, people. The OP meant it as a joke. Go buy a sense of humor. Buy two, they're small. :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim,(Very serious question),

Whats your crystal ball telling you, about being still flying as you ring in the new year, on 12/31/2009-2010 ??

(Us ol' Geezers got to stick together)(ME, 63 and HOLDING on) :unsure:

Back