New Attendance program

If the Company would embrace the USAFs definition of leadership, this policy would be completly unnecessary and US would be a far nicer place to work:

Not to mention, a four year committment to be moved at anytime, to anywhere on little notice and the threat of court martial for disobeying orders, not to mention, go to war. Where's my union shop steward in this?

Ready to sign-up, Necigrad?

So Salutes Jester.

Not to mention, a four year committment to be moved at anytime, to anywhere on little notice and the threat of court martial for disobeying orders, not to mention, go to war. Where's my union shop steward in this?

Ready to sign-up, Necigrad?

So Salutes Jester.
Not necessarily true Jester. I was an employee of a company that knew the value of its people and was an expert at the "the art of influencing and directing people in a way that will win their obedience, confidence, respect, and loyal cooperation in achieving a common objective." They didn't require any of the things you mentioned above.

So Disputes JoeDirt

Now, sadly, in theory it is a cut and dried situation where there is no room to do the right thing. Again, I will roll out the "Us" versus "them" argument and how PHX appears to be making it more difficult for airport managers to make local decisions that can affect the morale in a positive way versus a punitive way.

This is a bone of contention for me and though it may just be a matter of semantics, I think it's worth pointing out that in this context, PHX is not Tempe.

In fact, until this whole point system came along there wasn't so much of an "us" and "them" attitude between the ramp and management in PHX; at least, not in the eyes of the average ramper. I may be on a limb in saying this, and I can only base it off what I've heard, but I feel compelled to say that PHX has a warmer atmosphere in this regard than does CLT or PHL (and I'm not just talking about the weather LMAOROFL...ugh).

It's all the jive with this new point system, and the strict enforcement of the new dress code that is making people unsettled. This whole points system mess and now threats of suspending people for wearing their hats backwards (in the bin!) is creating a new kind of tension out here in PHX (though they've now stopped enforcing the uniform policy, to resume 1/1 HURRR DURR) and once people realize they're each and every one under a microscope they may just find that the only way to survive is to turn that microscope around and operate the ramp on a policy of brinkmanship: an atmosphere that, real or not, many in PHX already presume or suspect permeates the Eastern hubs.

Also to be taken into consideration is the attitudes of folks which may sour once they realize that their good performance and general reliability will no longer afford them the due and reasonable flexibility management once had in dealing with legitimate attendance issues. Why bust your bum and go the extra mile when that incentive disappears and you are treated same as some of the idiots that never show up to flights or pull their own weight.

:/

This is a bone of contention for me and though it may just be a matter of semantics, I think it's worth pointing out that in this context, PHX is not Tempe.

In fact, until this whole point system came along there wasn't so much of an "us" and "them" attitude between the ramp and management in PHX; at least, not in the eyes of the average ramper. I may be on a limb in saying this, and I can only base it off what I've heard, but I feel compelled to say that PHX has a warmer atmosphere in this regard than does CLT or PHL (and I'm not just talking about the weather LMAOROFL...ugh).

It's all the jive with this new point system, and the strict enforcement of the new dress code that is making people unsettled. This whole points system mess and now threats of suspending people for wearing their hats backwards (in the bin!) is creating a new kind of tension out here in PHX (though they've now stopped enforcing the uniform policy, to resume 1/1 HURRR DURR) and once people realize they're each and every one under a microscope they may just find that the only way to survive is to turn that microscope around and operate the ramp on a policy of brinkmanship: an atmosphere that, real or not, many in PHX already presume or suspect permeates the Eastern hubs.

Also to be taken into consideration is the attitudes of folks which may sour once they realize that their good performance and general reliability will no longer afford them the due and reasonable flexibility management once had in dealing with legitimate attendance issues. Why bust your bum and go the extra mile when that incentive disappears and you are treated same as some of the idiots that never show up to flights or pull their own weight.

:/

Great post CJ and very imformative. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts on life of working for the airline in PHX. I for one will no longer think of PHX and Tempe as being synonymous.

Yeah, they're completly different. Of course the airport abuts the City line or damn close. But yeah, they're completly different. It is a valid point. Folks do need to diferentiate between PHX and CHQ, or at least recognise that they are different animals completly.

Not necessarily true Jester. I was an employee of a company that knew the value of its people and was an expert at the "the art of influencing and directing people in a way that will win their obedience, confidence, respect, and loyal cooperation in achieving a common objective." They didn't require any of the things you mentioned above.

So Disputes JoeDirt

My point being that I could get people to show-up on time, perform their assigned tasks, and even go into battle if I had them under a binding four year obligation with the threat of court martial, just do it in a pleasant convincing manner and I'll be loved. If not, then the airman in question best have God as his JAG defense attorney. Management is tired of playing nice and trying to be everyone's best friend, or so it would appear.

So Commands Jester.

My point being that I could get people to show-up on time, perform their assigned tasks, and even go into battle if I had them under a binding four year obligation with the threat of court martial, just do it in a pleasant convincing manner and I'll be loved. If not, then the airman in question best have God as his JAG defense attorney. Management is tired of playing nice and trying to be everyone's best friend, or so it would appear.

So Commands Jester.
I must have missed something? Please tell me when Management was ever being nice? Was it when they abrogated our contract after three givebacks by the members? Maybe it was after that when they gave themselves a bonus to keep the team, you know, the one that took us all to the bankruptcy courts for the second time!!! So remembers GF

I must have missed something? Please tell me when Management was ever being nice? Was it when they abrogated our contract after three givebacks by the members? Maybe it was after that when they gave themselves a bonus to keep the team, you know, the one that took us all to the bankruptcy courts for the second time!!! So remembers GF

"Looking for Mr. Goodfellow..."

Different management for starters. That is not make light of the sacrafice and financial loss, but it is a different team entirely.

Secondly, the issue had to do with Work Brain as our own Spin Doc admits to back timing clock-outs in order to cover employees late arrival. Let us not overlook the issue of dozens of late calls during a year from some employees which were not even given so much as a warning. When an employee could rack-up 60 points during a year and still keep their job, tell me that someone wasn't being nice, because if that employee was working for me, in my company, they better be related.

So Retorts Jester.

Different management for starters. That is not make light of the sacrafice and financial loss, but it is a different team entirely.

Secondly, the issue had to do with Work Brain as our own Spin Doc admits to back timing clock-outs in order to cover employees late arrival.

Jester:

In a perfect world, everyone would come to work on time, but as you and I both know, the world is far from perfect. There are events which occur that are beyond the control of the employee and may prevent them from reaching the time clock at the designated time. From the managers perspective, there are also times when shift coverage is far from ideal due to sick calls, vacations, and refused overtime.

As the owner of a company, or a manager, would it NOT benefit you to adjust an employee shift forward by 30 minutes if it helps to cover a shortfall on the backside of the shift? As I said in a prior post, it creates a win-win situation for both the employee and the company, as long as it is applied fairly and consistently across the board.

In all of my years as a manager in every company I have worked for, I have applied this policy fairly and consistently to EVERY person who had a verifiable reason for being late. I did not discriminate based on my relationship with the employee, their attendance or disciplinary record, or for any other reason. Everyone got a break as long as their story checked out.

When I was a manager for US, there were also other ways to deal with attendance issues, such as last minute shift trades. If an agent called me and told me they were stuck in an airport somewhere because they could not get on a flight as a standby, it was my personal policy to try and find someone to cover their shift. Again, I applied this equally and consistently across the board, regardless of my relationship with the employee.
I garnered a lot of respect and had loyal employees because I was fair and consistent.

It's a two way street. Too many upper management types tend to view it as a one-way street, and that's why employees are skeptical of management intentions. Again, if upper management would step back and take the bullseye off the front line workers, they may be amazed at how much better their operation will run.

So Retorts Jester.

Secondly, the issue had to do with Work Brain as our own Spin Doc admits to back timing clock-outs in order to cover employees late arrival. Let us not overlook the issue of dozens of late calls during a year from some employees which were not even given so much as a warning. When an employee could rack-up 60 points during a year and still keep their job, tell me that someone wasn't being nice, because if that employee was working for me, in my company, they better be related.

So Retorts Jester.
Jester, please go back into management, do yourself a favor and us UNION guy's. You are obviously super human and will always be on time? Most people have faults like me, Incase you don't know. Lets see, car problems, relationship problems, non ordinary traffic problems, road closings weather related problems etc. etc. Maybe your HEART will grow (just like the GRINCH) and you will start seeing the HUMAN side to LIFE that management has a blind eye too. SOOOO SAAAAAAY's GF. P.S. You and Everyone Have A Great Holiday!!!!! :up:

Look at the bright side... it isn't as if you get only one chance. That's why there are more than one point and 4 different levels of corrective action. I don't need to be "always" on time or even have perfect attendance, but rather be on time "enough" and not be sick "a lot". Better yet, those days I was sick during the last year, yes and even late, <gasp> they go away after 12 months too! Dare I say in the Spirit of Christmas the policy has a redemptive and forgiving quality?

So Blesses Jester.

Jester, please go back into management, do yourself a favor and us UNION guy's. You are obviously super human and will always be on time? Most people have faults like me, Incase you don't know. Lets see, car problems, relationship problems, non ordinary traffic problems, road closings weather related problems etc. etc. Maybe your HEART will grow (just like the GRINCH) and you will start seeing the HUMAN side to LIFE that management has a blind eye too. SOOOO SAAAAAAY's GF. P.S. You and Everyone Have A Great Holiday!!!!! :up:

I have been late twice in the past 20 years (brought donuts both times as is required) Once because of a power outage (i now have a battery back up clock) and once for a bad wreck on the highway.
In how much trouble would I be in under this new policy?

I have been late twice in the past 20 years (brought donuts both times as is required) Once because of a power outage (i now have a battery back up clock) and once for a bad wreck on the highway.
In how much trouble would I be in under this new policy?
You obviously don't live in the North East. Good for you! As I speak 17 flites have diverted from CLE to PIT! Have a great Holiday and God Bless!! GF

Back