Aa Takes A Hit In Stl News Market

F/Oaa

Jul 12, 2003
Today being Oct 31, it is the last day of STL being a Hub
All TV news reported about AA cutting back in STL.

Wonder if the 43 new flights that DFW is getting could put some of the laid off EX-TWA people back to work.
I'm sure they would move down there and AA would not even need to pay them the $12,500 that native AA workers get when they relocate.

The $12,500 is gone with our glorious new contract. Also right now DFW ramp has called back some FSCs, but they have to recall all laid off in this station before they go to the Xfer wait list. The only way to xfer into DFW ramp is if you come on a system wide bid ( read seniority here) for a Crew Chief opening. If you are not pre-qualified ie. written and orally tested, you will have a limited time to do so.

One thing that defies logic with this pruning of STL service is the timing,coming into one of the busiest travel times of the year and the company is depriving itself of that revenue.Would it not have made more sense to wait for the holiday travel surge to ebb then reduce the service levels during the slower winter months? :blink:

LGA Fleet Service said:
One thing that defies logic with this pruning of STL service is the timing,coming into one of the busiest travel times of the year and the company is depriving itself of that revenue.Would it not have made more sense to wait for the holiday travel surge to ebb then reduce the service levels during the slower winter months? :blink:
I know it is a sad day for the employees in STL and I feel sad that they find themselves in that situation but AA's current management has come to its senses to do something to help put this carrier on solid finanial footing as soon as possiable they can not limp around like a wounded animal for a long time bleeding cash because AA does not have that luxary to do so. However I aggree with what fleet service said about the time the reductions were implemented. I believed that AA management should have made it more of a gradual process. for example take 100 flights out from November 1st and then the next 100 on January 1st 2004. This would give AA an oppurtunity to capatilize on the surge in holiday travel that will come in a few days time and it would help the balance sheet. When you look at this when AA reduces the number of seats in the STL market the prices would become firmer and yields could increase. I have not studied economics to that level like thoes managers at AMR so I will give them the benefit of the doubt because Arpey seems to know what he is doing and he would have studied the benefits and drawbacks of implementing such reductions at this time.

"I know it is a sad day for the employees in STL and I feel sad that they find themselves in that situation but AA's current management has come to its senses to do something to help put this carrier on solid finanial footing as soon as possiable they can not limp around like a wounded animal for a long time bleeding cash because AA does not have that luxary to do so."

Oh, you mean good financial stewardship like the flight attendants they forced to STL for one month then transferred back to their original bases. And, that was after giving them the month of June off with pay.

"When you look at this when AA reduces the number of seats in the STL market the prices would become firmer and yields could increase."

Well, yes IF no other airline came in to fill the void left by AA's cutbacks. However, I think STL is going to become fertile ground for growth with Southwest, Airtran and Frontier. I doubt AA is going to see the firmer prices (read higher) they are hoping for. And, with Airtran moving into DFW in a big way over the next 6 months, I don't think AA is going to see firm prices there either.

Andre1980 said:
I know it is a sad day for the employees in STL and I feel sad that they find themselves in that situation but AA's current ooting as soon as possiable they can not limp around like a wounded animal for a long e surge in holiday travel that will come in a few days time and it would help the balance sheet. When you look at this when AA reduces the number of seats in the STL market the prices would become firmer and yields could increase. I have not studied economics to that level like thoes managers at AMR so I will give them the benefit of the doubt because Apey seems to know what he is doing and he would have studied the benefits and drawbacks of implementing such reductions at this time.
What do you mean Arpy seems to know what he is doing.
Where have you been....... He's just a good old boy clone of AA management.

Do you still think aa will still file Bankruptcy?
Depends on what set of books they show the employee's and Bankruptcy Court.

It's not likely that AA has two sets of books for different situations :D

But to be certain, AMR is far from safe where bankruptcy is concerned. They could still drop into CH11 with little or no warning.

What do you mean?
Wingnaprayer, you must be managment all the way.
Where have you been. This is the 2000's.
All major companys do business this way, sometimes with 3 sets of books or more.
Depends on who they are showing them to.

I believe AA is making hand over fist $$$$$$$$$$
They just don't want you (the employee's) to know it.
WAKE UP :shock:

Well, I'm still going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. I believe they are reporting the numbers accurately. It may come back to bite me in the ass, but for now, it looks to be as it should.

F/Oaa said:
What do you mean?
All major companys do business this way, sometimes with 3 sets of books or more.

Uh-Huh. Just like Al Capone's vault - that's what AA's been hiding. Carty made off with half a billion dollars.

Keep denying reality. B)

LGA Fleet Service said:
Would it not have made more sense to wait for the holiday travel surge to ebb then reduce the service levels during the slower winter months?

Ahhhhhhhhh but that would be showing initative wouldn't it, and thats not the AAmerican Way is it.
From where I stand the company is still doing business as usual, nothing has changed, we put out 110% and management wants 115%, the workers /union and non-union/ took major layoffs while management layoffs were put on hold, then the AA sends flights around the system to pick up management for meetings, why couldn't we do like the rest of the world is doing/ which is one reason we don't have the last minute business travellers anymore/ teleconfrencing, the list goes on and on, thats why its still business as usual.

F/Oaa said:
What do you mean Arpy seems to know what he is doing.
Where have you been....... He's just a good old boy clone of AA management.

Do you still think aa will still file Bankruptcy?
Depends on what set of books they show the employee's and Bankruptcy Court.
I have faith in Arpey at the helm he is trying to undue the mess that Carty had started to do before he was cast out. I think Arpey would be more serious than Carty in trying to put things right because I doubt if Carty was still there he would not have pulled MRTC out of the 757's and A300's and he would not be cutting the STL hub in half, but that is just my opinion I could be wrong.

If the economy continues to improve and more individuals continue to feel comfortable and secure about flying I think AA's chances of staying out of Chp 11 will be good but if there is another 9/11 attack not only will AA file but the other majors as well.

FWAAA said:
F/Oaa said:
What do you mean?

Uh-Huh. Just like Al Capone's vault - that's what AA's been hiding. Carty made off with half a billion dollars.

Keep denying reality. B)
This stuff is repeated at EVERY failing airline. "Three sets of books". "They're Hiding money"! "They're making money Hand over Fist"!! When people commit fraud in their accounting its to show a PROFIT!!! What's the point of making up a Loss?

AAmech said:
This stuff is repeated at EVERY failing airline. "Three sets of books". "They're Hiding money"! "They're making money Hand over Fist"!! When people commit fraud in their accounting its to show a PROFIT!!! What's the point of making up a Loss?
To screw the workers, of course. AA has always been, and will always be (according to the constant whiners) about screwing labor.

These whiners come across as very self-centered - the world revolves around them and their organized labor brothers and sisters.

Yep, AA management goes to work each and every day to dream up new ways to screw the employees. They don't spend any time running an airline - they are too busy trying to shaft the labor force. B)