AA to Barcelona; JFK-FCO

At one point AA expressed a desire to fly ORD-HKG in 2003. In light of the lastest open skies agreement, has there been any new talk of this?

UA and NW are seeing yields hold up better in Asia than anywhere else. I understand that there are provisions in the APA contract that limit this flying, but surely that is an easy enough item to negotiate. I would think AA could make more money in HKG (with codesharing on CX), than flying to the economic basketcase countries of South America.

JFK-FCO and JFK-BCN were loaded into the schedule over the weekend (in Worldspan). FCO is bookable...BCN doesn't appear as available for sale as yet.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/16/2002 8:00:29 AM AAquila wrote:
[P]American reaches into TWA's treasure chest, and pulls out two, many more to come.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]I would hardly call either of these routes a real treasure. AA is desperate for cash and desperate to find any route that can at least breakeven. These two routes are very low-yield, but produce good volume in the summer. AA will likely make a small profit, but nothing to get too excited about.

Even a small profit looks good these days. BTW, I checked last night and both JFK-BCN and JFK-FCO are in Sabre for June.

To me, this is a very good sign. It shows a commitment to expanding Atlantic service out of JFK, which means more openings for pilots and FA's there. I logged over 200 layovers in BCN from 1975, when TWA began service there, until we dropped it in Jan 2000. Nothing would make me happier than to return there.

MK

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/16/2002 8:09:59 AM DLFlyer31 wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 12/16/2002 8:00:29 AM AAquila wrote:

American reaches into TWA's treasure chest, and pulls out two, many more to come.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]

[/P] AA will likely make a small profit, but nothing to get too excited about.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Right now,the phrase 'profitable major airline' is an oxymoron. The fact is that AMR has a solid business plan for the future, they've just been thrown a few curves lately. UAL is the gym, cutting the fat. AMR has to respond likewise, while also expanding, not an easy task.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/17/2002 10:05:20 PM MiAAmi wrote:

now all we need is an additional MIA-BCN flight
----------------
[/blockquote]

If JFK-BCN works out this summer, I think they might give MIA-BCN a try during the winter to cater to Southern Spainards coming to Miami, the Caribbean, and Central America on holiday. Barcelona is a heavy US-originating market, which is one reason why there is no non-stop service between the US and Barcelona November through May. Though MIA-BCN could work well because of the connection oppurtunites. Plus it connects to Iberia hubs. It's wishful thinking, because I don't think it will happen. I just think if it did, it would work.

Latest posts