AA to launch Miami-Las Vegas, finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Finally, American Airlines will launch non-stop Miami-Las Vegas service. This has been a hot market lately. This winter, both America West and National are adding an extra daily each for a total of five non-stops a day. Flight will be a daily 757-200 starting 2 March 2003.

When I got to Miami in '91, AA was saying they wanted to start LAS and MSP flights. It only took 11 years for it to happen. Lets see if with the added DTW and CLT. Maybe just maybe MSP will be soon in the works.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/21/2002 6:43:54 PM FA Mikey wrote:

When I got to Miami in '91, AA was saying they wanted to start LAS and MSP flights. It only took 11 years for it to happen. Lets see if with the added DTW and CLT. Maybe just maybe MSP will be soon in the works.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I have heard MSP, MCI, and PIT are all being looked at for 2003. MIA is in a good position because leisure spots are the hot-spots for 2003. Miami is a huge leisure market, with huge leisure connections, but also has a strong business-traffic base, and also has business traffic on what would otherwise be lesiure-only destinations (like Port of Spain, Providenciales, and Bridgetown). I would not be surprised to see at least PIT. Also would not be surprised to see Liberia and/or St. Kitts & Nevis launch in 2003, those are two leisure markets that are getting pretty popular and Delta is entering/looking at. In fact, it's no coincidence that AA just added another four weekly MIA-SXM flights just as DL announces winter-only ATL-SXM service (3x weekly through April). The MIA-LAS flight comes just as both N7 and HP each add another flight (right now MIA-LAS has 3 daily services; it will have six by the time AA comes). So far, the future at MIA looks very bright. In fact, there are more flights in the scheds for MIA now than there were before the cuts were announced, even though we did loose a daily to SFO and 4 weeklies to LAX.

I remember back in the early 90's AA had a non-stop DC-10 to Las Vegas from Miami. The one thing I did not understand was that there was no return non-stop back to Miami. This flight was short lived. In do not know if AA ever restablished a flight to Las Vegas again since.

Status
Not open for further replies.