AA to park 10 AB6 and 20 MD-80 aircraft

When jet fuel is $4/gal like today, I seriously doubt that announcements of aircraft retirements and job furloughs are intended to somehow hoodwink the worthless union into accepting smaller raises.

As if AA's unions need that kind of assist in screwing their members.

So, you really don't believe that getting rid of widebodies without any replacements, and grounding more MD80's than there are replacements won't have a real impact?

AMR is shrinking, and jobs are disappearing. Anyone who thinks it is just negotiations spin is in some pretty serious denial...

I understand that being a management-type, you're going to twist everything I say so it's hardly worth the effort to defend what I didn't say or explain what I did say.

Regardless of the net result, the company will feed us doom and gloom while working behind the scenes to reposition the company.

Workers will go away and management ranks will become more bloated. As I said, I really don't care what happened at HDQ - I'm at TULE. Somehow, management personnel are believed to make the company money here as their numbers generally increase during bad times.

Perhaps I'm mistaken here, but AMR tends to publicize a bunch of negative stuff like this when economic conditions play into their hands. Those 80s and Scarebuses were going anyway - the question was when.

The negative spin assists (they believe) in dealings with the three unions.

I believe what we'll see and hear is doom and gloom coming from the company while they are negotiating with Boeing to take the build slots of those airlines wishing to defer delivery of new 737s and whatever else AA has on its shopping list.

I'm kind of following your line of thinking here and you might not be far off. I find it kind of suspicious that AA was the first to announce their intent to park a bunch of planes. They were very vague in their announcement because it contained no real numbers. Other airlines then announced their exact numbers and began the process of the job eliminations, and AA is still crunching numbers.

Could it be that they are waiting to see how it goes with others? Could it be good strategy or will it kill AA because management waited too long to cut?

Seems awfully strange that their layoff announcements and decision making is taking so long.

Maybe AA learned their lesson the last time they gave pink slips out during a busy season (remember Christmas a few years ago and the baggage fiasco and maintenance problems?) and they are waiting until it is actually time, and the summer peak season is over, before making their moves.

I'm kind of following your line of thinking here and you might not be far off. I find it kind of suspicious that AA was the first to announce their intent to park a bunch of planes. They were very vague in their announcement because it contained no real numbers. Other airlines then announced their exact numbers and began the process of the job eliminations, and AA is still crunching numbers.

Could it be that they are waiting to see how it goes with others? Could it be good strategy or will it kill AA because management waited too long to cut?

Seems awfully strange that their layoff announcements and decision making is taking so long.

Maybe AA learned their lesson the last time they gave pink slips out during a busy season (remember Christmas a few years ago and the baggage fiasco and maintenance problems?) and they are waiting until it is actually time, and the summer peak season is over, before making their moves.

You make some good points... But I think either way, you wouldn't see layoffs til september, october because it is the busy summer season..

You make some good points... But I think either way, you wouldn't see layoffs til september, october because it is the busy summer season..

I may be wrong as I sometimes am, but if oil keeps on as it has been ($143/bbl. today), this entire argument may be moot in short order.

Skymess - this scenario was a week ago. Theway the oil prices are going, the scenario may need to be changed.

I had wondered myself about AMR being too busy playing games with the unions to take care of business but like I answered Hopeful, it may not really matter who was doing what and to whom.

There is a breaking point where many airlines will simply suspend ops and have massive layoffs (not just the piddly stuff announced). I've no idea of where that point may be or how close we are. I'd like to think AMR won't play the game of "Last Man Standing" as that's not always a win.

Opinion - when offshore and ANWR became a topic, I told the wife that il will begin rising until drilling is allowed in those areas. I believe this is no more than pressure to write letters to Congress to lift the bans. While not orchestrated by the White House's inhabitant, someone is certainly turning a blind eye to what's happening.

I may be wrong as I sometimes am, but if oil keeps on as it has been ($143/bbl. today), this entire argument may be moot in short order.

Skymess - this scenario was a week ago. Theway the oil prices are going, the scenario may need to be changed.

I had wondered myself about AMR being too busy playing games with the unions to take care of business but like I answered Hopeful, it may not really matter who was doing what and to whom.

There is a breaking point where many airlines will simply suspend ops and have massive layoffs (not just the piddly stuff announced). I've no idea of where that point may be or how close we are. I'd like to think AMR won't play the game of "Last Man Standing" as that's not always a win.

Opinion - when offshore and ANWR became a topic, I told the wife that il will begin rising until drilling is allowed in those areas. I believe this is no more than pressure to write letters to Congress to lift the bans. While not orchestrated by the White House's inhabitant, someone is certainly turning a blind eye to what's happening.

I agree. fuel prices are heading to a level that is going to decimate the airline industry and even the trucking industry.. It is possible you might seen an airline actually cease operations and liquidate....

I agree. fuel prices are heading to a level that is going to decimate the airline industry and even the trucking industry.. It is possible you might seen an airline actually cease operations and liquidate....
I believe it is "Airlines", not "Airline" but, it's all the fault of the unions. Right?

If it weren't for those nasty old unions, the companys' respective managements wouldn't have tried to rape their shareholders, oil wouldn't have gotten so expensive, dogs and cats wouldn't be doing it in the streets with each other (borrowed line), and oranges would have to be renamed because they'd be a different color.

Back