AAA ALPA Topic 8/31/07 - 9/06/07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting the same thing over and over, he said, you said, I said and here's the way it's going to be, but never changing the story line one bit will never solve anything. The lines are drawn, the structures now built in concrete so hard it will take another 20 years to bring it down. Well...... maybe less, since the West inherits this place in less than 10.

The divide between this group is deep and growing deeper daily. I bet Jerry Glass and company are laughing their A$$e$ off over a cold one. Some say give us a TA by the JNC to vote on. When? next year? Year after? Your assumption is Jerry will ever put anything on the table worth voting on. How many sections has he reneged on?

But thats right, it's the new TA that Doug wants for $122m. Lets see parity plus 3%, with phased in benefits? Great CBA isn't it, since it's still substandard to the rest of the industry. Sign me up......NOT!!! I bet Jerry is thinking up ways to get that down now. Maybe a phased in 3% raise now. How about a concession down to $90m? You think we have the unity to get more?

I would rather live under LOA93 til the amendable date than sign a substandard contract that would last for the rest of my tenure here. So Junebug, you mentioned Doug was going to offer some more "coin" to bring the east around. From his "show" in CLT to now, whats changed? What's the offer? NADA, ZERO, ZILCH and none forthcoming. Let him put the new "coin" out there, maybe the rank and file will force the MEC and JNC back to negotiating. Highly unlikely until something new and better comes out.

In the meantime USAPA is still collecting cards. BTW. I saw a posted figure of cards in hand. Isn't propaganda a great thing? Exaggerated? or Understated? You decide. But then I already know what the west thinks.

I don't buy the west MEC claim there is only a vocal minority in the east opposing the Nic award. I fully expect USAPA to collect enough cards for a vote. Come election time, whether or not all those cards will turn into votes for USAPA is the big question.

All of the east pilots may not like the Nic award, but they will eventually have to accept it one way or another. My sense is that the east pilots are going to suffer needlessly in a futile quest, and in the end, will still be left with the Nic list and not much in their wallet.

In the meantime USAPA is still collecting cards. BTW. I saw a posted figure of cards in hand. Isn't propaganda a great thing? Exaggerated? or Understated? You decide. But then I already know what the west thinks.

US Airways ALPA MEC Summer WAR Report Compiliation

W.A.R. Item 701

FAR 91.3

The Pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

W.A.R. Item 706

US Airways F.O.M.

US AIRWAYS OPERATIONAL PRIORITIES:

1. SAFETY
2. Passenger Comfort
3. Schedule
4. Efficiency

W.A.R. Item 711

Standard Duty Periods, domestic, two pilots

A pilot shall not be scheduled for a standard duty period of more than fourteen (14)
hours.

A pilot on a standard duty period may be required by the Company to remain on duty for
up to fifteen (15) hours.

15 hours is the contractual limit.

W.A.R. Item 716

AB 320 PHB 2b.3.3

The Pack flow selector for the A319/A320, should be selected to HI for abnormally hot and humid conditions.

W.A.R. Item 720

AIM 7-3-9

Because of the possible effects of wake turbulence, the controllers are required to apply no less than specified minimum separation for aircraft operating behind heavy and large non-heavy aircraft.

A. Heavy jet behind a heavy jet: 4 miles
B. Large/heavy aircraft behind a B-757: 4 miles
C. Small aircraft behind a B-757: 5 miles
D. Small/large aircraft behind a heavy jet: 5 miles

W.A.R. Item 724

New FOM 7.6.4 Thunderstorms

ANVIL CIRCUMNAVIGATION

A good rule of thumb is to avoid the downwind side of the main body of the cells by at least one mile for every knot of wind at that altitude. For example, if the winds aloft at the altitude of the anvil are 270 degrees at 60 kts, avoid the main body by 60nm.

W.A.R. Item 801

FOM 2.9.5

Flight crews will make a log book entry for any failure, malfunction, or defect that may affect the safe operation of the aircraft. The Captain should make every effort to discuss the entries directly with maintenance.

W.A.R. Item 806

FOM 2.8.2 Crews may use certain self-parking systems. A marshaller is not required when using these systems; however, two wingwalkers must be in position.

W.A.R. Item 810

QRH A320, Severe Weather/Windshear

“Use TOGA Thrustâ€￾ is the first item when applying wind shear precautions.

W.A.R. Item 819

AIM 8-1-2

A sinus block is prevented by not flying with an upper respiratory infection or nasal allergic condition. Adequate protection is not usually provided by decongestant spray or drops to reduce congestion around the sinus openings. Oral decongestants have side effects that can impair pilot performance.

W.A.R. Item 824

B-737, AB 320, MEL Preamble, check the appropriate MEL book.

It is important to remember that all equipment related to the airworthiness and the operating regulations of the aircraft NOT listed on the MMEL must be operative.

US Airways ALPA MEC Send Button Event

Your MEC is introducing a new tool in our fight for equal pay for equal work. It is called a “SEND BUTTON†event. We are asking every pilot to send an email to designated people at a specified time with a clear and concise message. We have made this process as simple as possible. We will send you a sample email that you can forward to the designated individual, or if you prefer, you can send your own message and we’ll provide bullet points for you. The email addresses of the targeted individuals will also be provided.

Our first “Send Button†message is scheduled for the Labor Day weekend and supports our effort to achieve “Equal Pay for Equal Work.†Between now and Monday of Labor Day weekend, as often as you wish, just take a moment to forward the message to the targeted individuals.

Here are the directions:

1. In your email program, paste the addresses (addresses are below) in the “To†window of your email and enter “Equal Pay†in the subject line.
2. Paste the sample message we've provided in the content area of the email.
3. Type your name under "Sincerely."
4. Press the "Send" button in your email.

Email addresses:

Doug Parker
Scott Kirby
Ed Bular
Elise Eberwein
Derek Kerr
Anthony Mule
C.A. Hwlett

Below is our prepared statement for your convenience. Creating your own message is even better, so have at it! We ask that you please include the following points while keeping your message professional and concise:

• Equal pay for equal work
• It has been two years since the merger date
• It is Labor Day weekend

Message to US Airways management:

As we celebrate the Labor Day weekend, we think it is important that you note that there is nothing short of outright war going on between US Airways management and the US Airways East pilots. Joe Brancatelli was "dead on" when he wrote that US Airways management proves in a thousand ways, that they don’t give a damn about their customers, their product, their EMPLOYEES, or their reputation.

Without the huge sacrifices of the East pilots, the success of this company—and the personal and financial rewards you and others have reaped—would never have occurred, and yet two years later you deny the US Airways pilots equal pay with their counterparts from the former America West. It doesn't take negotiations, simply equal pay as you offered the Delta pilots right out of the shoot. What a slap in the face to the East pilots the Delta pilot offer was!

We aren’t asking to be treated better than the America West pilots; we are demanding to be treated as equals simply by being provided equal pay for equal work. Don’t insult us by stating you already offered parity plus. You know all too well that it comes with strings attached that the East pilots could never sign onto, not to mention the value of the offer was well below the contract that both pilot groups deserve. It is time to stop kowtowing to the politically motivated desires of the AWA pilots and do the right thing. Provide equal pay for equal work to all the pilots who work for this airline.

As you and your family enjoy this Labor Day weekend, take just a moment to think about the sacrifices made by the US Airways pilots and their families that allowed the profits gained over the last two years and the obvious potential for more. In human terms, for some, those sacrifices equated to economic ruin, personal bankruptcies, home foreclosures, divorce, and yes, even suicide. After doing so, consider whether your continued discrimination against the US Airways pilots is good business or morally justifiable.

Sincerely,

Cactus CallSign,

Cactus said: “All of the east pilots may not like the Nic award, but they will eventually have to accept it one way or another. My sense is that the east pilots are going to suffer needlessly in a futile quest, and in the end, will still be left with the Nic list and not much in their wallet.â€

USA320Pilot comments: Cactus, the East pilots will never have to accept the Nicolau Award for two reasons. John Prater said he is not going to forward the Award and the US Airways pilots never have to agree to a new contract. And, the US Airways pilots can do exactly what the Northwest pilots did to get equal pay for equal work.

What you fail to understand is that the East pilots believe they will get paid more money by keeping LOA 93 in place and keeping the two pilot groups separate.

For example, when a Group II F/O upgrades to Captain they receive $39 per hour pay raise. However, with the Nicolau Award that F/O will remain in the right seat and per the company’s current offer receive a $15 per hour pay raise.

By keeping the pilot groups separate the US Airways pilots will have an improved quality of life, receive a $22,000 bonus in 2010/2011, and see significant improvements in pay when reserves become blockholders, F/O’s become Captain’s and narrowbody pilots become widebody pilots.

Furthermore, Doug Parker has already discussed the need to whipsaw the two pilot groups if there is no “realistic solution†to the Nicolau Award and a joint contract because new aircraft such as the A340 are on the way. There will be new routes from PHL to Tel Aviv, Moscow, Tokyo, Bejing, etc. and the lowest cost pilot group will get this high paying flying.

“My sense is that the West pilots are going to suffer needlessly in a futile quest, and in the end, will still be left without the Nic list and not much in their wallet.â€

In addition, the West pilots action to defy the two EC resolutions, the Rice Committee (so far), and Doug Parker’s desire to seek a compromise is going to keep all airline pilots at their current rates.

Finally, John Prater indicated at the CLT meeting that that while the US Airways pilots are the lowest paid pilots in the industry, all other pilot groups would have a tough time negotiating pay raises when their contracts became amendable (due to US Airways/AWA pilot issues). Prater indicated that getting the US Airways pilots a better contract is very important in the big picture. And, the only way for us to get a better contract is for the Executive Council/Rice Committee to help the US Airways pilots find a solution to this mess. Oh and by the way, guess whose contract is up next? Continental. So there is incentive for ALPA National to help US Airways if for no other reason but to help them selves.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

A Letter From USAPA

Chip,

Let me fill you in on some recent news with USAPA.

Some of our volunteers were asked to leave the crew room in Charlotte on Wednesday by Chief pilot Skip Pate. We had set up a small table with bag tags and printed material and were getting a good response from pilots who had questions. We got a few more cards signed and we were able to address our pilot on a face to face basis. We were asked to leave the crew room shortly after nine am and we complied. We can’t help but notice however that after we took down or little road show, MEC Chairman Jack Stephan was able to conduct the same type of gathering. I guess it’s just contract maintenance, which is what a bargaining agent is allowed to do. Silly me I head all kinds of talk about Law suits and the Nicolau award and other stuff that is not in our contract.

Our lawyer Lee Seham says we are well within our rights to be there and distribute material and there are protections under the railway labor act for this kind of activity but the company says we must have permission. They will not give permission and this comes straight from Tempe, so that's the end of crew room visits. The NMB does not have procedure as does the NLRB to protest this kind of action by the company. The only way to prevail and maintain our rights is to take the company to Federal Court and that would cost $20,000.

We won't pursue that option but we will be having free pizza and soda in the mid terminal Bank of America Conference room in Charlotte on Thursday Sept. 6, and Friday Sept. 7th. Our officers and volunteers will be present with free bag tags, pizza and soda and printed material about what we feel USAPA can do for our line pilots. I would invite you to stop by to talk to us if you pass through Charlotte on those days and tell all those on your mailing lists. We are planning the same in Philadelphia in the near future.

Our lawyer has also mentioned that we ought to let our card numbers out so that people can see how we are doing. The response has been very good and even Lee Seham is surprised. He now understands what a galvanizing issue this is to our pilots. Without a real face to face push, and relying mostly on mailings and web-based communications, we are now at “2209 in the card count.â€￾ We estimate a number very near 2500 to call an election.

The few remaining cards are all we need to petition the NMB for a Representational Dispute and Election. We will now be concentrating on Charlotte and Philadelphia in the next few weeks and I hope you would remind all your readers that it could be considered a vote for support of our MEC to sign a card. This may seem strange, even bizarre, but we are in a situation where the West MEC believes they have won the lottery. They have a winning card but they can't cash it. We could hold off negotiations forever and keep East and West separate but all pilots will pay a price in forgoing pay and benefit increases while the company makes out like a bandit. Forcing an election will put an end to this stalemate and the pilots of US Airways will be able to decide for themselves if ALPA or USAPA better suits their needs. I believe that the west will be much more prone to negotiate if they know they could loose an election that would render the Nicolau award moot and that a settlement agreeable to the East pilots could be imposed.

If in these next weeks we can bring this dispute to the NMB then we could see elections toward the end of the year. 2008 could start of at US Airways with a new bargaining agent and new union leadership and a new direction for all pilots at US Airways. As a USAPA member I naturally want us to win an election and I will campaign to the best of my ability to place USAPA in the winning position. I can't help but, notice however that the calling of an election will no doubt accelerate the negotiations of the Rice committee and others trying to reach a negotiated settlement to our current dilemma. The better the solution attained by the Rice committee, the less chance USAPA has of winning an election. However I would bet that most East pilots would agree that in total it would be a win.

So Chip I would ask you to ask your readers to sign a card to have a choice; sign a card to end this stalemate; sign a card to allow USAPA to campaign for your vote and explain why we are a better choice for our pilots; sign a card and let ALPA know just how serious this seniority issue is to our pilots; sign a card to control your future.

Fraternally,

USAPA

So when are the USAPA reps coming to PHX? They want to be our collective bargaining agent too, so it only makes sense that we shoulc get the chance to meet and ask questions about how USAPA is going to represent our interests.

Ex717,

There are AWA pilots submitting cards to USAPA officials. Interestingly, there is a organzing activity about to be announced for PHX/LAS-based pilots. I happened to see an email about that today.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Why should anyone believe that 2209 is a legitimate number? How about a 3rd party count?

Or is legitimacy not on the To-Do list?

So when are the USAPA reps coming to PHX? They want to be our collective bargaining agent too, so it only makes sense that we shoulc get the chance to meet and ask questions about how USAPA is going to represent our interests.

They'll probably just toss a brick through the crewroom window with all they have to offer written on the back.

In my opinion, the Nicolau Award is "the straw that broke the camels back", but USAPA received an enormous boost from the AWA MEC.

Because the AWA MEC and the West pilots have stuck their noses in the air and not abided by both EC Resolutions, they have not worked with the Rice Committee, and they have not responded to Doug Parker's call for a compromise, many US Airways pilots feel they have no other option but to support USAPA.

Thus, I believe the AWA MEC has provided as much support as anybody to USAPA, who is on the verge of filing the NMB Form 1, and beginning the removal of ALPA from both the East and West properties.

If the AWA pilots do not like this they have nobody to blame but their MEC.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Thought you might be interested in the press release. Very Interesting.

US Airways management expresses preference for ALPA

USAPA denied opportunity to speak with pilots

ESSINGTON, PA, Aug 29, 2007 – The US Airline Pilots Association (USAPA) announced today that US Airways Regional Director E. G. Pate evicted USAPA representatives, including a US Airways Check Pilot and also First Officer Stephen Bradford, USAPA President and a US Airways pilot, from the pilot crew room at the Charlotte airport this morning. The eviction of the USAPA contingent, all active US Airways pilots, cleared the crew room so that ALPA International could put on their presentation to the US Airways pilots in the Charlotte pilot crew room this afternoon.

USAPA’s counsel had previously notified US Airways management that a pilot representational challenge was underway. USAPA believes that this refusal to permit USAPA’s active US Airways pilots to speak to other active US Airways pilots about their representational options, in the privacy of the pilot’s crew room, shows blatant favoritism towards ALPA. USAPA believes that during a representational challenge, an employers’ display of preference for one labor union versus another may violate Federal Labor Law. (ref)

USAPA is the new labor union designed “from the pilot up,†by US Airways pilots for US Airways pilots. USAPA has been carefully designed to provide a superior level of representation for all US Airways pilots. USAPA has been built as an independent pilot labor union, and USAPA’s organizing representatives have been collecting representation election requests from US Airways pilots for about three months.

“It’s no coincidence that passenger air carrier pilots represented by independent unions have the best pay and benefits in the business,†said Stephen Bradford, USAPA’s President. “A large national pilot union, representing many pilot groups, is unable to efficiently and effectively represent their individual members’ interests due to competing interests at the national level.â€

USAPA has done “very well†in its drive and has collected well over two thousand ballots requesting a representation change. Cards continue to come into USAPA at a good clip and USAPA expects to present their filing to the National Mediation Board soon. USAPA has collected ballots and significant donations from every US Airways pilot crew base, including the former America West crew bases. These US Airways pilots have expressed a strong desire to replace their current union.

USAPA Facts:

· USAPA seeks to represent the interests of active and furloughed US Airways pilots.

· USAPA will represent only US Airways mainline pilots.

· USAPA’s constitution and bylaws will require membership ratification of all contractual issues (pay, benefits, work rules, etc.)

· Based upon the number of ballots received thus far, USAPA believes this may be the fastest start for a decertification effort in the history of organized labor.

· USAPA is designed to provide a higher quality and more responsive membership service product -- at a lower cost -- to its members.

For additional information about USAPA, please visit the USAPA web site at www.USAirlinePilots.org or email [email protected].

For Additional Information, Please Contact:

US Airline Pilots Association

P.O. Box 57

Essington, PA 19029

[email protected]

The USAPA press release said, "Based upon the number of ballots received thus far, USAPA believes this may be the fastest start for a decertification effort in the history of organized labor."

I thought Junebug, AWA320, 767jetz, ClueByFour, and others said USAPA would never get enough support to force an election....

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back