AWA MEC Chairman Special Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
AWA MEC Chairman Special Update - June 3, 2007

Fellow Pilots,

On Friday afternoon, the AWA MEC received a letter from Captain Prater requesting that the two MECs, specifically the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary-Treasure, meet in Washington, DC, this coming Wednesday afternoon.

On Saturday morning, I spoke with Captain Randy Helling, Executive Administrator and confirmed the meeting and who would be in attendance.

Captain John Prater and outside ALPA counsel Mike Abram will meet with the MEC officers of both AWA and AAA this coming Wednesday, June 6 at 2 PM EDT.

Your MEC has consulted closely with ALPA counsel and our outside Merger Counsel Jeff Freund this week and we have decided (with Mr. Freund's advice) that we should attend this meeting to ensure that we continue to professionally and diplomatically maintain the high road and insist that ALPA present the final and binding Nicolau Award to US Airways management in accordance with ALPA Merger Policy. We also intend to insist that the AAA MEC clearly outline their intentions for joint negotiations going forward.

Please remember that the AWA MEC Officers DO NOT have the authority to alter the seniority award or negotiate fences. Once the meeting is finished, we plan to convene a conference call with the Merger Committee, Merger Attorney, JNC and our LC 082 and 062 elected status representatives to update them.

Please continue to fly safely and securely.

Fraternally,

Captain John McIlvenna
Chairman, AWA MEC

According to an ALPA EVP I have talked to the EC believes it has the right to throw out the Nicolau Award if a consensual agreement between the parties is not obtained.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

According to an ALPA EVP I have talked to the EC believes it has the right to throw out the Nicolau Award if a consensual agreement between the parties is not obtained.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

While I think you are just posting to get the mess started again and what you have stated has no real value anyway. Why not post this evp's name so we all can speak with him and get his view and not just your wish!!

Now that we are back in reality you and I both know that the EC has no authority here and is in no position to make demands. Show us all via section 45 of the merger policy where it states that the EC has this authority please.

Thank you

That he waited an hour for a response before talking to himself is a good indication of how badly any one wants to talk to him.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
This is written by the same mental midget who wrote that US Airways was going to buy United, that LGA was going to 250 flights a day in Feb 2005, was summoned to lunch by Dave Siegel, and was on Bruce Ashby's distribution list. Does the term "useful idiot" ring a bell?

You, sir, are the embodiment of all that is wrong with our profession.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

What part of BINDING ARBITRATION do you not understand?

This is written by the same mental midget who wrote that US Airways was going to buy United, that LGA was going to 250 flights a day in Feb 2005, was summoned to lunch by Dave Siegel, and was on Bruce Ashby's distribution list. Does the term "useful idiot" ring a bell?

You, sir, are the embodiment of all that is wrong with our profession.

Ditto. But Ardenian I've got to ask; is that your dog? He/she is gorgeous. What breed?

Ardenian,

You are flat out misrepresenting information. Let me help you correct some information:

After I reported on this website that US Airways was holding discussions to acquire all or part of United the following articles surfaced:

Click here for the story.

The article hyperlinked above said, “David Siegel took US Airways through its first bankruptcy. After reemerging in 2003, he soon realized that costs had not been cut enough and the carrier faced heightened competition from Southwest and other low-cost carriers on the East Coast. He began an aggressive search for new partners. He approached United again -- part of an initiative code-named "Project Minnow," with US Airways as the small fish swallowing the bigger one.â€

Can you tell me what “Project Minnow†was?

Click here for the story.

The article hyperlinked above said, “the search for a deal began in the fall of 2003, when David Siegel was still US Airways' chief executive officer. He explored several options. Acquire United Airlines, the nation's No. 2 carrier. That option was code-named "Project Minnow," with US Airways as the small fish gobbling the bigger one."

Ardenian, can you tell me again what “Project Minnow†was? I bet you can’t!

By the way I never was summoned to lunch with Dave Siegel, I never met Bruce Ashby, and I never was on Ashby’s distribution list.

BoeingBoy (or should I say Mr. Twister or Chameleon),

AWA320 said: “Why not post this evp's name so we all can speak with him and get his view and not just your wish!!â€

BoeingBoy said: “Probably the same "informed" source that gave him this tidbit:â€

USA320Pilot said (about 6.5 months ago): Will a Delta fragmentation happen? I do not know. What I do know is that it's being actively discussed as possible M&A option by "informed" ALPA people.

USA320Pilot comments: Two points. I never reveal a source and did you miss the part on the Delta fragmentation when I said, “Will a Delta fragmentation happen? I do not know.â€

USA320Pilot comments: At the EC meeting the week of May 21 a number of EVP’s suggested that they believe the Constitution and By-laws permit the ALPA throw out the Nicolau Award if it violates the merger policy.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

John Prater
Air Lines Pilots Association, International
1625 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036

June 1, 2007

Captain John McIlvenna, Chairman
America West MEC
Two Gateway
432 North 44th Street, Suite 340
Phoenix, AZ 85008

Captain Jack Stephan, Chairman
US Airways MEC
One Thorn Run Center, Suite 400
1187 Thorn Run Road
Coraopolis, PA 15108

Re: Recent correspondence

Dear John and Jack:

I am writing to both of you in response to your respective letters dated May 25, May 30, and May 31, 2007.

As you know, the Executive Council determined that the issues raised by the recent presentations of both the AWA and AAA MEC’s deserved fuller attention than was possible during the recent meetings and therefore decided to continue its consideration of these issues at a special meeting in June.

ALPA Merger and Fragmentation Policy, Part 1, Section N.1, requires the ALPA President to “closely monitor…all attendant problem areas†regarding noegiation of a merged pilot working agreement. In its recent resolution, the Executive Council also required me to continue to employ all the resources of the Association to assist the MEC’s to “explore consensual approaches that promote career protection and mutual success,†as well as working to achieve the closely-related goal of an “acceptable single collective bargaining agreement that improves the pay, benefits, work rules and job security of both pilot groups.†It is quite clear that there are several “problem areas†in the negotiation of a single agreement.

The Executive Council (whose members are responsible to the Association at large†under CBL Article XIV, Section 4) expects us all to play an active role in working to explore “consensual approaches that promote career protection and mutual success,†and not wait until the time when the Executive Council has completed its consideration of the issues relating to the Award. To begin that process, I will be contacting you shortly to arrange a meeting in Washington for Wednesday afternoon next week that includes the three MEC Officers of both groups, a small group of ALPA staff and advisors, and myself.

In solidarity,

John H. Prater

Cc: Executive Board
Executive Council

By the way I never was summoned to lunch with Dave Siegel, I never met Bruce Ashby, and I never was on Ashby’s distribution list.

Finally, something I think is actually true...

“David Siegel took US Airways through its first bankruptcy. After reemerging in 2003, he soon realized that costs had not been cut enough and the carrier faced heightened competition from Southwest and other low-cost carriers on the East Coast. He began an aggressive search for new partners. He approached United again -- part of an initiative code-named "Project Minnow," with US Airways as the small fish swallowing the bigger one.â€￾

Of course you continue to destroy what little credibility you have by leaving out the rest of the story

Dave: "Hey Glenn, I'd really like to merge with you!! Although I have virtually no financial backing and even less credibility on wall street, can I buy you guys?"

Glen: "Go away little man, you're bothering me..."

I'd really like to buy SWA, Jblu, UAL and DAL and merge them all. Now all I need to do is name it something stupid and I can end every post with "will it happen, I don't know..." :rolleyes:

USA320Pilot comments: At the EC meeting the week of May 21 a number of EVP’s suggested that they believe the Constitution and By-laws permit the ALAP throw out the Nicolau Award if it violates the merger policy.

Wait, a minute ago it was "one", now it's a "number of?"

GMAFB :lol: :rolleyes:

Busdrvr,

In previous posts I noted that a number EVP's (not a majority...yet) indicated to members of the US Airways MEC at the EC meeting the week of May 21 they desired and believed the EC could throw out the Nicolau Award. That information was obtained from a US Airways MEC member.

Then I personally had a recent conversation with an EVP who indicated the same thing.

If you read the information a little closer and review the previous posts then you would have a clearer understanding of the matter.

These are two different issues because the information regarding the EC meeting the week of May 21 came from a MEC member and the recent discussion happened between an EVP and myself.

Does that make sense?

Nonetheless, I believe it will be interesting to see how this issue is resolved. Will the EC throw out the Nicolau Award? I do not know, maybe, maybe not. Will they pressure the parties into obtaining a consensual seniority integration deal? I do not know, maybe, maybe not. However, what I do know is that this whole issue will be interesting to watch unfold.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot (or should I say Liar of LaGuardia since it's been demonstrated that you invent facts as necessary),

BoeingBoy (or should I say Mr. Twister or Chameleon),

USA320Pilot said (about 6.5 months ago): Will a Delta fragmentation happen? I do not know. What I do know is that it's being actively discussed as possible M&A option by "informed" ALPA people.

USA320Pilot comments: Two points. I never reveal a source and did you miss the part on the Delta fragmentation when I said, “Will a Delta fragmentation happen? I do not know.â€￾

Thanks for confirming your lack of reading comprehension skills. You quote my quote of your post as containing "Will a Delta fragmentation happen? I do not know." then ask if I missed it. Since I obviously didn't "miss it", your lack of discernable reading skill apparently caused you to miss it twice - both in my quote of your post and again in your own quote from my post. No wonder you're wrong about who can fly which European flights per the transition agreement - it's got words of more than one syllable. Maybe someone can give you the 1st grade version.....

If you do have a "source" - something in doubt since you've been caught inventing "facts" before - they undoubtedly hope you keep their identity secret considering their past track record.

Jim

ps - Dec 15 was about 5-1/2 months ago, not 6-1/2. Having trouble with counting too?

Busdrvr,

In previous posts I noted that a number EVP's (not a majority...yet) indicated to members of the US Airways MEC at the EC meeting the week of May 21 they desired and believed the EC could throw out the Nicolau Award. That information was obtained from a US Airways MEC member.

Obtained from a USAirways EAST MEC member, well Chip at least you got your information from people who don't lie to those they represent huh??

Then I personally had a recent conversation with an EVP who indicated the same thing.

Give us a name so we can confirm this and maybe he can explain the mechanism by which they intend to interfere. Maybe he can show us in section 45 that which everyone including all the atty's seem to keep missing.

USA320Pilot

Nonetheless, I believe it will be interesting to see how this issue is resolved. Will the EC throw out the Nicolau Award? I do not know, maybe, maybe not. Will they pressure the parties into obtaining a consensual seniority integration deal? I do not know, maybe, maybe not. However, what I do know is that this whole issue will be interesting to watch unfold.

My emphasis was added to the above paragraph.
Finally, some truth, albeit repetitive. :up: