AA's upgauging of the 320 family

DL and UA also operate "the most expensive small narrowbody in the US".  So, what's your point?  We've already read that AA-US is likely to continue to opt for the larger A321, of which, incidentally, AA-US will have a far large number of than either DL or UA.

And DL and UA are acquiring 739s which are similar to the 321

The point is that the 319 is capable but you dont want anymore of them if larger lower CASM aircraft can do the job

I expect a minimum of 319s and more 321s

WorldTraveler said:
And DL and UA are acquiring 739s which are similar to the 321

The point is that the 319 is capable but you dont want anymore of them if larger lower CASM aircraft can do the job

I expect a minimum of 319s and more 321s
You and the original author of the quoted article are failing to consider 2 major points:

1.  Flying empty seats in markets that don't have the demand for a larger airplane, or discounting your seats to fill up your airplane drive up your costs.

2.  AA put the initial order in for the A319/A321 over two years prior to the merger with US, and at a time when all AA had was a 66 seat CR7, and then a jump to the 140 seat S80.  There may be some more adjustments in the order, but because of the fences that will come up with integrating the unions, expect a significant number of A319's to still enter AA's fleet.  An A320 is too much airplane for many markets that AA is and will send the A319 to.

WorldTraveler said:
no, Ms. Tree, you have cut down the forest and then replanted it with only what you want in order to make your point.

Ms Tree is a different poster.

Ms Tree Member Since 13 Jul 2010

OnlineLast Active Today, 11:08 AM

2.  AA put the initial order in for the A319/A321 over two years prior to the merger with US, and at a time when all AA had was a 66 seat CR7, and then a jump to the 140 seat S80.  There may be some more adjustments in the order, but because of the fences that will come up with integrating the unions, expect a significant number of A319's to still enter AA's fleet.  An A320 is too much airplane for many markets that AA is and will send the A319 to.
winner winner chicken dinner.

the order was not based on the US merger. now that it exists, is AA going to have a suboptimized fleet because of labor deals that it cut when US has enough 319s to operate what AA could need on its own network.

WorldTraveler said:
winner winner chicken dinner.

the order was not based on the US merger. now that it exists, is AA going to have a suboptimized fleet because of labor deals that it cut when US has enough 319s to operate what AA could need on its own network.
Don't be too quick to label new AA's fleet suboptimized.  I'm fairly confident once AA-US are fully integrated in a couple years the fleet will be sufficiently utilized and future orders (& options) adjusted.  Heck, DL and NW fleets sure didn't match up when the airlines merged, but it seemed to have worked out.  Former DL B777s fly rooutes out of DTW as do NWs A330 out of JFK, etc.  Or are you going to insist that only DL was capable of integrating two very different and surely sub-optimal fleets?

Reactions: 2 people
of course I expect AA to integrate the AA and US fleets. That is the point that if they do it they won't need 200 319s split between AA and US

But then they will be flown by 3 pilot unions

They won't need all 200, but there are some differences in engine performance between the legacy HP, and the legacy US + new AA deliveries. The early legacy US 319's had CFM56's, while the legacy HP and post-merger US 319's had the V2500's. The new AA deliveries have the CFM56's.

The 70 oldest A319's were delivered between 1998 and 2000, making them 14-16 years old.

The 35 HP A319's were delivered in 2005-2006, and all have the V2500 engines.

There could be an argument to let the smaller subfleet of V2500 powered aircraft go away, even though they're not even 10 years old yet, and keep the CFM's for commonality.

It's also possible that some of those older CFM powered aircraft could go away.

Either way, at some point AA may be in a situation where they will have new A320s replacing old A320's, or new A319's arriving as old A319's exit the fleet. It's certainly unusual to see a type-for-type delivery being offset by a retirement, but Airbii certainly don't age quite as gracefully as a Douglas or Boeing product.

Well that was the first substantive post regarding aircraft age and engines on the US 319s. too bad it took this long

it is still likely that some of the US 319s won't stay which makes AA's deliveries a bit more relevant

Thanks E

actually the new 321s the us side has been getting come with the v2500 I believe   but I do wonder if they may change out the engines on the older models?  or would it be too costly

It's probably cheaper to replace the airframe than it is to replace the engines...

WorldTraveler said:
of course I expect AA to integrate the AA and US fleets. That is the point that if they do it they won't need 200 319s split between AA and US

But then they will be flown by 3 pilot unions
That's incorrect. At this point there are 2 Unions , which are APA at AA, & USAPA at US. While there will be some integration issues for certain, it has already been agreed that APA will represent all at the combined airline.

that's valid... but recount for me how things fell apart between the pilots after HP/US and what was said differently then.

Perhaps you are right but it would be an understatement to say everyone is just casually watching.