Afa Criticizes Those Who Called In Sick

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
http://www.afausairways.org/Eline/dec28_04.htm

By now, we have all seen the reports on the news about the operation of our airline over this past holiday weekend, and how that operation failed miserably. This was caused, unfortunately, by a minority of employees who appear to have decided to take some type of action against the Company.

AFA in no way supports any member who calls in sick unless that person is actually sick. There are serious consequences to any such action and those consequences are outlined in our Agreement. Sadly, the employees who took this action may ultimately cause the failure of the airline. Passengers who are angry over having their entire holiday weekend ruined will avoid flying on our airline. At a time like this, where we need to retain the customer base we have and build upon it, the bad publicity the airline received will not benefit any of us.

Many of you volunteered to fly trips. Many of you doubled up to help out in this situation. AFA and the Company appreciate those of you who did that. Your efforts helped the Company get through this holiday weekend. Sadly, those of you who worked additional trips did so because many of your fellow co-workers thought it was within their rights to call in sick.

AFA would like to recognize all the employees who acted responsibly this weekend - those of you who reported for work as scheduled and those of you who volunteered. Thanks.

Perry L. Hayes
MEC President
Assn. of Flight Attendants, CWA

I'm really not surprised the reserve flight attendants called in sick. The system is horrible and needs to be fixed. From what I've read in the new t/a , the company and the afa did not return the system back to getting called in seniority order. I'd even accept this new system with rotating reserve. At least you would be given a chance to hold a line part of the year. Nobody on reserve is a new hire and I'd be surprised if any ot them vote for this t/a. Not that it would matter at this point.