Sick call Discipline

The LARGE part of why we as employees are where we are is due to management. Inflight creates the open time, blocks, reserve lines... They NEVER and I do repeat NEVER have been able to staff a holiday correctly let alone any given day. They are in control of creating lines for reserves to fly. But NOOOOO they have to leave things as they are or they'll go into "panic mode". Well reserves were not made to work every holiday for the rest of their careers. As I stated before the company can screw an employee as Usairways has done MANY times over and get away with it. Now an employee does it and YOU are the bad guy? I don't go for the "your doing it to your coworkers" bs either. It is not just Usairways that this happens at. Yes nurses and doctors do it too. ;) Listen, I'm not saying it's right to call off when your not indeed sick but considering what most have been through here I don't think many really give a $h!t. Should they quit if not happy about being scheduled on a holiday, EVERY holiday forever? NO! ! What the company SHOULD as a service to their employees AND for their passengers is make an employee feel it's "worth their time" and "appreciated" for comming in and taking time away from YOUR family during a holiday. I don't wanna hear that "you knew you'd have to work holidays" either. Yeah, when I took the job I was told that I'd have MANY things yet I don't have them now either. It is what it is until management decides to make the changes. Ruling with an iron fist is NOT going to make a holiday sickout NOT occur.

It's not like you did not realize airlines fly 365 days a year when you got the job or decided to apply for the job.
When I was hired, I was told that I would be a B/H in 3-5 years due to attrition. That would mean weekends and most holidays off....so I waited and waited and still, I am waiting. I thought they were being truthful but it was all one big lie.
The worst part about it is that if they offered more than 30 cents per hour holiday pay ---something like time and a half for the whole trip---F/As would be falling all over themselves to go to work for the extra $$$.
Someone on here wrote something about a hypothetical situation like having a family member who is dying and this might be their last holiday, etc. Melodramatic yes but from the way this company treats its employees...I say family first.

The Airline business has always been about working around the year. If you are fortunate and have the years you can decide your off time. Personally at my old PSA everyone one had to share the weight you either had Christmas or Thanksgiving but never both. I understand the Wast Coast is very strict about holiday sick calls I am not on their side but at least they are consistant. I know of flight attendants who have been fired while the Teachers pets were allowed to abuse sick, FMLA and collect 170 plus hours while utilizing the ETB. It is time that we all level the playing field I do not know if I will ever see another contract but this one stinks! I would like the West Coast flight attendants to feel empowered by the East and not feel that we are the 3 legged Monsters. These are my hopes and after 40 years they are what drive me to care not only for our flight attendants but for our grossly mismanaged passengers.

They NEVER and I do repeat NEVER have been able to staff a holiday correctly let alone any given day. They are in control of creating lines for reserves to fly. But NOOOOO they have to leave things as they are or they'll go into "panic mode".

sky high states: Say good-bye to the bidsheet. :down:

only stating opinions

The West F/A contract is sometimes very vague in it's language. That's why they have been able to get away with this type of action. But this 4 days prior and 4 days after is going too far. That's why they filed a grievance.

The West F/A contract is sometimes very vague in it's language. That's why they have been able to get away with this type of action. But this 4 days prior and 4 days after is going too far. That's why they filed a grievance.
The JNC really needs to work on language that's black and white for our joint contract. I get so sick of hearing "well, it's a gray area."...that is just license for the company to interpret things the way they see fit...
then if it slips by they claim past practice and things seem to get set in stone.
Good luck to the West that you all win this grievance !

US Airways Inflight Services Supervisors are issuing discipline to flight attendants who utilize sick leave and call in sick within 4 days prior, the day of, and 4 days following a company recognized holiday including Martin Luther King Day, July 4, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Alleging a demonstrated pattern of calling in sick during a holiday period, Inflight Supervisors have reached back more than the customary and standard twelve month window to capture more than 2 instances of a sick call during these 9 day stretches and have included these holiday sick calls on discipline documentation.

AFA-CWA has filed a MEC Grievance over this matter, and will pursue this issue vigorously. Flight Attendant's should submit information to AFA via email at [email protected] if involved in any discipline meetings with the company involving this issue.
only stating opinions

Company can not augment the contractual sick provisions with regard to when and if a f/a can be sick without neogtiations. They can THINK they can write new discipline policies but it can not contradict or add to contractual provisions directly or indirectly that were neogtiated at the bargaining table in 2004.

Any disciplines, suspensions should be well documented by the f/a and union and grieve any discipline, suspension, or any increase in the level of discipline that leads to any subsequent terminations INCLUDING AND NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF PAY, VACATOPM AND SICK ACCRUAL. In addition, any infringement on contractual FMLA leave.

Our west sick policy is a big joke!!

We only get to use our sick bank which consists of 45 hours a year if you only work 75 hours or less a month.

That means if you work over that amount you are not allowed to use your sick bank. I for one cannot afford ot work just 75 hours a month. Therfore the company is at a big advantage that most flight attendant will not use there sick bank, and saves them millions of dollars. Plus we are not allowed to carry over the hours the next year.

The big kicker is our Inflight mgmt will call us in the office if we hit the magic number 10 sicks in one year. And one sick is one day, not a whole trip. The only way you can get around this is if you call in for the first day of the trip and forfit your remainder pay for the rest of trip, which is another option to us. That way you only get docked for one sick the whole trip, but still lose all your trip credit.

Talk about complete BS!!! :down: :down: :down: :down:

Like getting a "sick" note is really that hard. Inflight can kiss my lily white a**. What a bunch of morons.

Hey inflight/scheduling, if you're reading this: THE REASON WHY THE SICK CALLS ARE GOING UP IS BECAUSE YOU IDIOTS DON'T KNOW HOW TO STAFF AN AIRLINE OR BUILD A DECENT BID. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. YOU FORCE PEOPLE TO MANAGE THEIR SCHEDULES BY CALLING IN SICK. DIDN'T SEE YOU GUYS JUMPING THIS QUICK TO FIX ALL THE CRAP THAT'S KEEPING US FROM DOING OUR JOBS WHEN WE DO COME TO WORK. LIKE THE CATERING ISSUES. HEY SHERRI, WHEN YOU'RE NOT DOING A GOOD JOB OF LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR FA'S. THIS IS HOW YOU GET REPAID. NOW, OFF YOU GO ON YOUR LITTLE HORSEY, I'M SURE YOU'VE GOT SOME HOLIDAY TRAIL RIDE SOMEWHERE.

I feel better now, doesn't everyone else? :D

Like getting a "sick" note is really that hard. Inflight can kiss my lily white a**. What a bunch of morons.

Hey inflight/scheduling, if you're reading this: THE REASON WHY THE SICK CALLS ARE GOING UP IS BECAUSE YOU IDIOTS DON'T KNOW HOW TO STAFF AN AIRLINE OR BUILD A DECENT BID. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. YOU FORCE PEOPLE TO MANAGE THEIR SCHEDULES BY CALLING IN SICK. DIDN'T SEE YOU GUYS JUMPING THIS QUICK TO FIX ALL THE CRAP THAT'S KEEPING US FROM DOING OUR JOBS WHEN WE DO COME TO WORK. LIKE THE CATERING ISSUES. HEY SHERRI, WHEN YOU'RE NOT DOING A GOOD JOB OF LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR FA'S. THIS IS HOW YOU GET REPAID. NOW, OFF YOU GO ON YOUR LITTLE HORSEY, I'M SURE YOU'VE GOT SOME HOLIDAY TRAIL RIDE SOMEWHERE.
I feel better now, doesn't everyone else? :D
I thought that rant was lovely---especially your Sherri comments ! Nice job, I'm with ya' all the way !!!!

Sherri can't even figure out that her Philly base is falling apart at the seams. Too busy riding those horses to know how corrupt and inept her managers are. One can only imagine maybe she likes it that way.

US Airways Inflight Services Supervisors are issuing discipline to flight attendants who utilize sick leave and call in sick within 4 days prior, the day of, and 4 days following a company recognized holiday including Martin Luther King Day, July 4, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Alleging a demonstrated pattern of calling in sick during a holiday period, Inflight Supervisors have reached back more than the customary and standard twelve month window to capture more than 2 instances of a sick call during these 9 day stretches and have included these holiday sick calls on discipline documentation.

AFA-CWA has filed a MEC Grievance over this matter, and will pursue this issue vigorously. Flight Attendant's should submit information to AFA via email at [email protected] if involved in any discipline meetings with the company involving this issue.
only stating opinions

F M L A
If you have it great!! If not than get to it!!!!
RF

Latest posts