Afa News

What is needed, I've recommended for a long time - we need an industry-wide all work groups included strike. The boneheads in the government will let this holocaust continue agaist the workers of the airlines, unless drastic action is taken. The employees keep on being taken out back and raped over and over and over again. The government continues to sit around and LET the airlines lay thousands upons thousands off and destroy the benefits and salaries of those who remain.

Folks, the executives at the airlines have been waiting for this opportunity for years. They have wanted to force employees to work for McDonald's wages and have taken full advantage of the current post-9/11 situation to ruin us. This whole scenario is Frank Lorenzo's fantasy played out en-masse.

However, the flight attendants are not enough. What we need is unity, brothers and sisters. We need EVERY airline employee from 747 pilot to part-time ramp agent to make it clear that we've had enough of the games. If just one airline strikes, passengers go to another carrier, your airline will probably fold and if somehow survives our sleezy leadership will just hire some SH!TTY LITTLE SCABS. (If you're reading this and you think about scabbing - just a word of advice from a veteran, DON'T. Just ask the scum who crossed Eastern's lines. We will find out.)

However, if the whole business says "screw you" and walks, air commerce grinds to a halt. They have no airlines to turn to. It takes days to get home. Congress' phones start ringing off the hook. Angry passengers riot in terminals. The airline employees finally have the upper hand again. See, folks, this is what unionism is all about - unity between the work groups across airlines. Back in the day, unions would have had a set and would have done what was needed to keep the companies in line. Today, the unions have no ba11s, they folk quickly and adopt the company opinion. They are more interested in raising your dues and spending it on themselves and politicians (scum like Kerry, who wants to see US Airways fail!!!!!) than they are in any type of serious activism.

There is enough blood in streets and it is time we take them back.

We demand:
1. Immediate rehire of ALL laid off airline personell from 09/11 until present with no loss in seniority or pay.
2. Immediate restoration of all pensions and other benefits taken away since 09/11
3. Return of all contract items, with back pay, taken away since 09/11.
4. Government intervention to all bankrupt airlines.
5. Restoration of government regulation, so that costs of travel actually reflect costs incurred.

If we all work together, than we can make a difference.

513 :angry:
umech said:
Well, if the afa can talk ual,usairways,ata and hawaian (ALL IN B/K) it would not help much ,what afa needS is support from AA,DEL,SWA,NW, BUT DO YOU THINK THEY WIIL GET IT, DONT THINK SO..
[post="201729"][/post]​

N513AU said:
There is enough blood in streets and it is time we take them back.

We demand:
1. Immediate rehire of ALL laid off airline personell from 09/11 until present with no loss in seniority or pay.
2. Immediate restoration of all pensions and other benefits taken away since 09/11
3. Return of all contract items, with back pay, taken away since 09/11.
4. Government intervention to all bankrupt airlines.
5. Restoration of government regulation, so that costs of travel actually reflect costs incurred.

If we all work together, than we can make a difference.

513 :angry:
[post="201741"][/post]​

So I presume you've never purchased any non-union item or service?

Your demands are amusing and fantasy.

Those are all nice, but the only person who will give you that is Mr Rourke.

AFA Strike Threat

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - Leaders of the national Association of Flight Attendants voted to authorize a national strike against airlines that have labor contracts rejected in bankruptcy court. The carriers named are United, US Airways, ATA and Hawaiian.

The move to strike will now go before AFA’s members for vote, but the Financial Times noted that “a strike is not imminent.†Said Sheldon Kline, a labor expert with Thelen, Reid and Priest, “This is saber-rattling. They know they do not have a right to strike. The National Mediation Board controls the possibility and timing of a strike. Unions would need to be released from mediation, have a 30 day cooling off period, and can only go ahead if the president does not convene a Presidential Emergency Board.â€

Other observers quoted by the media took a dim view of the development. Jack Gallagher, a Washington attorney who specializes in labor law, told the Wall Street Journal that talk of strikes is counterproductive. “They’re going to drive revenue away from the carriers. To actually go ahead and strike is virtually to ensure liquidation,†he said.

Industry analyst Mike Boyd told the Washington Post that calling for a strike would only “make the airlines weaker. It’s illegal and irresponsible.â€

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The S.1113© statute has never been tested in court, the bankruptcy judge has great latitude, and if he allows "self help", US Airways said it would liquidate the company.

During a formal reorganization the judge's primary responsibility is to the creditors and to return the company to solvency. It will be difficult for the union's to argue why they need pay and benefits higher than JetBlue and AirTran, when those companies are making money and US Airways and every other legacy carrier continue to lose millions of dollars.

During the S.1113© hearing the judge has two options: he can rule in favor of the company or the union. The company's motion prevents a strike and after the S.1113© process is complete then the RLA would apply. Thus, if the judge rules in favor of the company's motion, there will be no strike and further negotiation would occur, under the guidance of the Department of Labor and the NMB (according to US Airways' motion).

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The company's motion prevents a strike and after the S.1113© process is complete then the RLA would apply. Thus, if the judge rules in favor of the company's motion, there will be no strike and further negotiation would occur, under the guidance of the Department of Labor and the NMB (according to US Airways' motion).
[post="201766"][/post]​

Well, not quite right. In the proposed order accompanying the company's motion (which would grant the motion to abrogate contracts, change retiree medical benefits, and terminate DB pensions) there is no mention of enjoining a strike. It the judge gives the company everything it wants, this is the order he would sign.

In the memorandum supporting the company's motion to abrogate contracts, etc, the company presents the argument that a strike is illegal. But they also say a strike is preferable to not getting the contracts abrogated, so apparently they think a strike is a possibility.

You must have missed that....

Jim

There is a lot of discussion going around if the proposed AFA “National Strike†is legal or not. I’m not a lawyer or labor law expert so I have no comment in that matter. But I think all of these experts are missing the point. Labor is frustrated and fed up! :angry: Their pay is eroding, their contractual benefits disappearing, and their hard earned retirement decimated. All of this being accomplished legally. Yep it’s all-legal according to our wonderful bankruptcy laws. So now the experts are all arguing the legality of AFA’s proposed strike. Well I don’t think the AFA or labor right now really cares if it’s legal or not. You see the AFA is seeing what is legally happening to their livelihood and have their backs up against the wall. Legal or not, you cannot make people work if they do not want to. As far as the argument that there are market forces at work, I agree to a point (I guess that would be another thread). Even Southwest without its’ excellent fuel hedges is having a rough time (argument being without the hedges LUV would have lost money this quarter). One thing I’m sure of, you cannot sell a product for less than what it takes to produce it and survive very long. What a crazy industry. :shock:

Now that the "for sale" sign is on the house, I have nothing else to lose...hand me my picket sign...and 3 more signs for my children. We can walk the line today! But we'll NEVER cross it. If the yahoos at top think that they are saving thousands of jobs, they are not. After 20 years with this company, I finally saved up enough money to actually buy a home. I sure hope yahoo 1 and yahoo 2 don't have to give up their 2nd-3rd homes etc, that would be a shame. "Saving the company saves my job"???....for this kind of money, I'll go to Mickey D's and take a whole lot less abuse from customers and management. Best wishes to all.