Hundreds Of Flight Attendants Stage Protest!

WCG,

What I find interesting about comments like this is the fact that these folks (management) are already millionaires by design, no-matter the outcome here.

You (us) on-the-other-hand, are going to be screwed. Have you applied at someone like jetBlue yet? You (us) would be lucky to get an interview, and oh-by-the-way, most US Airways FA's that even get an interview do not get hired (and most never get the chance to go to the interview).

Anger about the industry pressures will not change what is happening here...US Airways is just a small player in the transformation of the industry...your role is do you want to stay in the industry with your seniority at a transformed legacy airline, or do you want to read about it in the newspaper and remember what is was like to work at an airline.

Its your (our) choice....

WestCoastGuy said:
The company has no interest in playing fair. It is a free for all, grab all, under the direction of Jerry Glass et. al. Lakefield doesnt have a clue about the business and probably doesnt know a beltloader from an engine cowling. He is just a mouth piece. CCY has it's own adjenda, make no mistake. Their forward vision only see's the golden parachutes and current salaries becoming even bigger. It has turned into pure corporate greed at it's worse, at the expense of labor. If their business plan, IMO, based on the backs of labor, is successful, they will all walk away with millions. If labor takes a stand and says we've given our all, NO MORE, they will still walk, but not with the millions they so feverishly seek.
[post="202003"][/post]​

Justaramper said:
Flight attendants may stage a mass walkout, as in a traditional strike, for a day or a week, or strike individual flights—with no warning to management or passengers as to time or location.
Ask the AA pilots how that can be used against you in court to the tune of millions of $$ in damages. The AFA is testing uncharted waters and this may not be a wise decision at this time.

I realize the emotional situation we are all going through, but cooler heads must prevail on this one. I'd think the Railway Labor Act would apply and may prevent such action from taking place. It would destroy U & UAL , so is this the way we want them to end...?

Or would GWB let it happen to the interstate commerce..?
[post="201900"][/post]​

The AA pilots had a contract with the company and the pilots did a sick-out and not a strike.
The $45 million fine was negoiated away during the last concessions.The APA used it as a bargaining chip to give AA concessions.

If the Company no longer recognizes a union contract then you are free to self help at any time.

The Railway Labor Act applies to Unions which have a contract with the employer.

It will be just a matter of time before the company expects you to work for free.

UYH,

Why don't you just lead the charge to make slavery legal.

If everyone thought like you there would still be company towns, child labor and no safety in the workplace.

Yes it is illegal,

and it will be a court battle to get your job back...good luck. This administration, the state-of-the-airline-industry, you are kidding right?

Ya and the public and you next prospective employer will really feel for you I'm sure.

What is coming our way down the fast track is REALITY, it is what J.Q.Public deals with for pay, working conditions, job security, etc.

Good luck, you will need it.

Fly said:
Chaos is not illegal! The reason Chaos was formed was because they don't let the company know exactly what flights will be the ones targeted. Impossible to plan for. When a union goes on a normal strike, the company seems to hire replacements.....this makes that pretty difficult to do.
[post="202048"][/post]​

This is a purr-fect example of the insanity here...lets answer a few simple questions here:

1) Are you "enslaved"? If you can demand more pay and better working conditions are you free to leave? Is your pay & working conditions an entitlement?
Answer: NOoooooo, John. Q. Public looks at our past feather-bedding with disdain...YOU CAN LEAVE WHENEVER YOU ARE TO GOOD FOR THE JOB! Is there anything you do not understand about that?

How does this equate to slavery?

2) Child labor, company towns, no-safety in the workplace?
Answer: Look around the industry, problem is; THERE IS AN ARMY< A LINE AROUND THE BLOCK FOR YOUR JOB...wait and see. See comments above.

The world has changed, you are attempting to live in the past. It will not serve you well in the future, here or at you next job!

700UW said:
UYH,

Why don't you just lead the charge to make slavery legal.

If everyone thought like you there would still be company towns, child labor and no safety in the workplace.
[post="203085"][/post]​

It can be ruled illegal, my guess is that it will....oh, and if not and you win?

DUH, just like EAL, you showed them....not my choice, It is a VERY COLD WORLD out there, have you been attempting your plan B strategy as of late?

By your history here, I think I know the answer to that question....

700UW said:
Striking after abrogation is not Illegal.
[post="203090"][/post]​

No there is not the company cannot hire enough workers and then keep the ones they hire.

Look at PHL for the prime example and the article in the Charlotte Observer how people don't want to work for US Airways.

UseYourHead said:
WCG,

You (us) on-the-other-hand, are going to be screwed. Have you applied at someone like jetBlue yet? You (us) would be lucky to get an interview, and oh-by-the-way, most US Airways FA's that even get an interview do not get hired (and most never get the chance to go to the interview).

[post="203083"][/post]​

UYH,

Your anecdotal information about jetBlue is incorrect. There are a number of flight attendants actively interviewing with jetBlue and Southwest and progressing in the interview process. Given the few openings that are available, there will be a significant number that will be rejected. Statistics. And yes, I was one that declined a jetBlue telephone interview after realizing that there was little future left in the airline industry. And elected to change professions.

The fact remains that many of the flights attendants at UAIR come with formidable backgrounds in other industries prior to their airline career. Many with advanced degrees and a commendable work history. And with the prospective insufficient salary that UAIR will be able to provide, the poor benefits, and the lack of pension, (not to mention some horrid work rules), many will vote with their feet. This is no longer an attractive job to some of us, particularly with the lack of job security. And for those that love this industry, and are willing to make such sacrifices, I sincerely respect and admire.

But the systematic degradation of the flight attendant profession across all airlines is abhorrent. For those ready to fight for the preservation of the profession... all the best in the endeavor. It is time for the flight attendants across the industry to make a collective roar. Loudly. Clearly. Unambiguously.

JMHO.

If voting to strike were illegal, where is the injunction?

And, why is IAM (no point in asking after ALPA)hiding behind AFA skirts on this deal? Not just at U; at EVERY IAM shop in the industry?

If they don't stand now, when?

Go, AFA!

insp89 said:
Threat of liquidating the airline by Mr. Bronner will only reduce revenue and cause further labor unrest and further passenger uncertainity......Brillant Choice of Action !!!!!!
[post="202072"][/post]​
.......Guess it's all right to run off revenue and passengers if you are a member of management......"Brillant Choice of Action" :blink: !!!!!!!!!

I believe there are more AFA ralleys planned... including representatives of CWA joining in too....More to come...

Latest posts