AFA upset that + sizes can't wear red dress..

BABABOOY

Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
Let the infighting in inflight begin.
I can't imagine the majority of the Pre-merger NW F/A's support this.
I wonder if they prohibit seat belt extensions on the jumpseat of NW a/c as like they
do on Delta a/c? I understand they allow it on NW a/c.

From the AJC:
"A Northwest Airlines union is protesting merger partner Delta Air Lines’ uniform policy that keeps flight attendants over size 18 from wearing Delta’s eye-catching signature red dress.

The red dress with a cinched waist is one of the work-wear options for Delta flight attendants, and it’s the type of uniform that makes flight attendants striding through airport concourses stand out."

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...ed_dresses.html

Let the infighting in inflight begin.
I can't imagine the majority of the Pre-merger NW F/A's support this.
I wonder if they prohibit seat belt extensions on the jumpseat of NW a/c as like they

From the AJC:
"A Northwest Airlines union is protesting merger partner Delta Air Lines’ uniform policy that keeps flight attendants over size 18 from wearing Delta’s eye-catching signature red dress.

The red dress with a cinched waist is one of the work-wear options for Delta flight attendants, and it’s the type of uniform that makes flight attendants striding through airport concourses stand out."

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...ed_dresses.html

From what I seen is that the ladies that look nice oin them are not the larger sizes.
You have to have certain figure type, if not, yikes!

From what I seen is that the ladies that look nice oin them are not the larger sizes.
You have to have certain figure type, if not, yikes!
It is called the attack of the killer tomatoes at Delta....Red Dress in Larger size....I personally would never say that but I have heard it said.

:shock: :lol: Ok well that dress is nice on woman who are tall and thin - its just the way it is..so realistically the dress should NEVER have been even made. maybe 5% looks good in it- the rest DO like like they are stuffed in it. I was on a DL flight a few months back and all the women had the dress on (go figure) and NONE of them looked good and they were busting out of it, bellies and all. My two cents- dump the dress in red and keep it in black.

:shock: :lol: Ok well that dress is nice on woman who are tall and thin - its just the way it is..so realistically the dress should NEVER have been even made. maybe 5% looks good in it- the rest DO like like they are stuffed in it. I was on a DL flight a few months back and all the women had the dress on (go figure) and NONE of them looked good and they were busting out of it, bellies and all. My two cents- dump the dress in red and keep it in black.
Dumb comment deleted by me.

With all due respect to all Inflight, that dress looks good on *maybe* 10% of the F/A's I've seen, regardless of size/height...

The vest/shirt combo looks either great or sloppy depending on who's wearing it. It also exacerbates large hips.

The blue pant suit makes some F/A's look absolutely stunning, but I don't think I've seen any larger women wearing it.

Male F/A's look pretty good all around, though I think I've only seen 1 guy wearing the turtle neck.

ok these are a few observations of the Flight Attendants in the new uniform.

everyone seems to have taken an extra effort looking even more professional..including new hair styles..some very great shoes, and paying a little more attention to overall grooming and style.

everyone looks great!

...just the way the Flight Attendants carry themselves overall..(in a very good way)

There are so many different combinations that can be worn and several different styled dresses (I have seen 4 different style dresses, including the red and coat dress in the past week worn by Flight Attendants just passing through the concourse). I believe one style was to be discontinued but still.... or wearing just the blouse and vest/slacks, skirts, turtleneck and slacks..(you can actually tailor a specific look to an individual personal preference) there are a lot of pieces!

I have seen most men in the entire uniform including the blazer..(especially the international crews looking quite dapper) .. very rarely have I seen anyone looking incomplete in their uniform, especially today.

are the pieces true or very close to size (that is the question that should be asked)

we all should know that different manufactors sometimes may have their own definition of what a particular size may be...(that is why you have to try on clothes)

that red dress..

it is the style and then mostly the color.. if she wants attention put that on, everyone stops, looks and notices.

the man who designed the uniform was a marketing genius.. regardless if some like the way it looks or not, people want to see that dress..(it does not look uniform, because that was the point).

It is a wonderful uniform...(one of the nicest today IMO)

My personal opinion? The Union needed something to #### about, just to let Delta know they were there !

If a heavy-set FA thinks she looks good in it, by all means wear it but, don't complain when the looks you get have laughter behind them.
I'm sure Delta provides outfits that play up or down whatever assets you may think are your best, it's then your decision as to which ones they are !

by all means wear it
if she wants to wear a plus sized red dress, absolutely let her.. and special order it.

if there is any issue here,

the sizes are actually what they claim to be, this may only be a manufacturer quality control issue..(for example), I think most people have an understanding a size 8 may actually be a 6 or 10 (depending on whom made the garment) but no way should any garment be labeled one size but actually be 4 sizes smaller or larger. when a garment is not labeled closely to size and when that happens.. some inconvenient visits to alterations and issues of returns will arise. (they should want to avoid that happening)

is it the color red or that dress?

maybe they can take one of the navy dresses, that is currently available in the plus sizes and offer that style in the color red.. the reason I say that is simply.. the navy dress appears to fall and fits the body better.. rather than the red one that is basically a wrap..

that one particular red dress as it is currently designed would not seem to be, the most flattering and comfortable for plus sized figures IMO.

(probably why there was 4 dresses to choose from, including several different combinations of other pieces)

There's a simple solution: bring back weight standards. Too many fat people not even caring how they look--Captains included. The companies have an interest: how the employees look affects the product. Those who argue mainly want to protect their gluttony. Medical costs for obesity are also a cost for the company.

This had better be an urban legend or someone is going to be in serious trouble at some point. As I understand it, there is an FAR that prohibits crew members from using seatbelt extensions on the jumpseat.\

Here at AA, it has now become a part of recurrent training each year. You have to be able to fasten the seatbelt/harness on the jumpseat (without an extension) in order to pass recurrent. I think one or more AA f/as got caught by an FAA inspector using an extension. The company is making a very big deal about it. And, since the union is not squawking, I'm guessing the Feds are involved in this in a big way.

, I think most people have an understanding a size 8 may actually be a 6 or 10 (depending on whom made the garment) but no way should any garment be labeled one size but actually be 4 sizes smaller or larger. when a garment is not labeled closely to size and when that happens.. some inconvenient visits to alterations and issues of returns will arise. (they should want to avoid that happening)

Are you serious? I had the tv on while working on the computer one afternoon (actually reading USAviation.com forums :rolleyes: ). The Oprah show was on (the font of all wisdom). Isaac Mizrahi (can you say well-known designer?) was the guest. He quite openly stated that the clothing industry has deliberately "upsized" women's clothes over the past 10 years. He said that with some lines what used to be a 14 is now labelled a 10. They found that women (and I'm not being sexist, it's just that they were talking about women's clothes) have a "size point" as well as a price point. Just as a woman will buy a dress priced at $149, but not one priced at $151, they will buy a dress labelled a 10, but not a 14. (As a guy, let me say that I quit buying jeans at the 36 waist point).

You know, the "I'm not going to (fill in the blank: buy clothes, go skiing (my sister), wear shorts) until I lose some weight" statement. Clothing manufacturers found that they could not sell a 14, but if they took that same dress and labelled it a 10, it flew off the store shelves. It allowed the customer who had put on weight over the years to say "I wear a 10. The same size I wore when I was 20."

As a friend of mine always say, "the human capacity for self-delusion is boundless." :lol:

The companies have an interest: how the employees look affects the product.
Professional appearance is very important, however I think ultimately it is the way someone treats a customer including crew.. that will have the most positive or negative effect on the product.

There's a simple solution: bring back weight standards. Too many fat people not even caring how they look--Captains included. The companies have an interest: how the employees look affects the product. Those who argue mainly want to protect their gluttony. Medical costs for obesity are also a cost for the company.

Oooo! the persons of size (formerly known as , the fat) are going to be on your case big-time. You are obviously a bigot to make such a discriminatory statement as to suggest bringing back weight standards. "I am happy and comfortable with my size. Besides, it not my fault I have a gland problem." (As my doctor always says, "Yeah, a gland problem--an overactive elbow." :eek: )

Latest posts