Aircraft maint issues

I don't think it is safe for any mechanic, line or base..Wait until you see the walking dead zombies working along side you..Then let us know what you think.

Speaking from a passenger perspective I agree limits need to be set. 12 hours is plenty. After that mental capability diminishes rapidly from fatigue.

Though you can work with "zombies" who don't even work 40.

Some people just make a habit of walking around in a daze regardless of the amount of hours they work.

You know the type, people who work well but have to be led around because they are not independently able to manage themselves.

An
MM, C'mon man. He wasn't indicating it was a luxury. Pretty sure he was pointing out the fact that most were forced to go get 2nd jobs to maintain their living after the drastic cuts forced upon them by the co. and agreed by the TWU over the past several years. And maybe, as stated, some of them are still working the 2nd job because it is more enjoyable, something they really like and just waiting to get that JCBA.

My point is also that if guys are willing to work other jobs, the company could look at it as they are willing to do so, hence no need to increase pay and benefits. Same goes for those who give days away like water (CSO). And please, enough of "oh they had to work 2nd jobs to maintain their lifestyle and the drastic cuts forced a 2nd job upon them." We got a $9 an hour raise and I get it, it's still not enough.
I know some of these guys, and they should try living within their means.

I agree, you can see how tired guys are after two doubles, me included. One thing we use to hear from the guys that did 5 doubles in a roll, come on man don't give me that job, I'm on my 3rd double. They stop complaining when the CC hammered him even harder.
My point exactly....When do these guys rest? A few hours when they get home? Because, after all, there is NO SLEEPING ON THE JOB, RIGHT????????
If you can't survive on $47 an hour living in Texas or OK, no amount amount of money is going to satisfy you.
Good point.

Speaking from a passenger perspective I agree limits need to be set. 12 hours is plenty. After that mental capability diminishes rapidly from fatigue.

Though you can work with "zombies" who don't even work 40.

Some people just make a habit of walking around in a daze regardless of the amount of hours they work.

You know the type, people who work well but have to be led around because they are not independently able to manage themselves.
Also a good poiint.

Let's try this approach.....

Drowsy or Drunk, the Effects Are Similar
Studies have shown that staying awake for just 17 to 19 hours straight impacts performance more than a blood-alcohol level of .05 percent (the level considered legally drunk in most western European countries). This level of impairment slows an individual's reaction time by about 50 percent compared to someone who is well rested. Twenty-four hours of continuous wakefulness induces impairments in performance equivalent to those induced by a blood-alcohol level of 0.10 percent, beyond the legal limit for alcohol intoxication in the United States.

or this....
http://www.ausenco.com/news-items/d...uivalent-to-a-blood-alcohol-content-of-0-05_2

Hey why not work triple shifts to get those extra days off? Who needs sleep? Certainly not aircraft mechanics who want to be treated as professionals..

Depends on the person and the situation.
more importantly why are we trying to crap on each other when the MROs in China, Mexico, South America etc are doing stuff that should be a much bigger issue than someone working doubles for an entire week?

Also, I don't see how its safe for line maintenance but for the people in base maintenance its unsafe......?
Do you seriously not understand the difference between line and overhaul work? I think you are either naive or you are not being sincere. Not going to go into details but anyone who has worked both would have to agree they are quite different.
As far as MROs in South America, AA is building hangars in Brazil and they are going to consider that line work. Yes I do have a huge issue with any work that is outsourced. But I have a bigger issue with the TWU allowing this to be considered line work when it is not. When the layoff hit the overhaul guys they'll have to go to the line stations and that in turn will put some line guys and some overhaul guys who either can't bump or can't afford to go to places like JFK or LAX on the street. Nobody should happy about that.
We better start watching each other's backs or we'll all suffer. I have a problem with ANYONE getting laid off or bumped from their station. Every one of us has a family and families are affected by each layoff.

As far as MROs in South America, AA is building hangars in Brazil and they are going to consider that line work

I've read this on here several times. Where is this info coming from? Can you provide a reference or is this just more rumor?

I've read this on here several times. Where is this info coming from? Can you provide a reference or is this just more rumor?

There is mechanic new hire indoctrination classes for South America going in Miami right now. Talked to a few, very good guys, lot of experience.

I agree, you can see how tired guys are after two doubles, me included. One thing we use to hear from the guys that did 5 doubles in a roll, come on man don't give me that job, I'm on my 3rd double. They stop complaining when the CC hammered him even harder.
im throwing the bull **** flag you cant do 5 consecutive doubles only two consecutive are allowed.period. think your just baiting.

im throwing the bull **** flag you cant do 5 consecutive doubles only two consecutive are allowed.period. think your just baiting.

I have seen way more than 5 consecutive doubles.....WAY more....apparently they are being "allowed" to do so.

Has anyone heard the rumor that Legacy US airways at DFW is getting ready to hire 150 Amt new hires ?

Yes of course, I should have clarified. Back before the rules were made and ENFORCED, some guys would do 5-7 doubles in a roll. One guy even did a triple. He only did it once though.

Looking forward to CS policy being in contract so it can't be changed or threatened by a manager with an axe to grind.

Robert Isom mentioned the facility in Brazil recently. When I asked a local executive board member about it he said the TWU was aware of it and that it would be considered line work. I was also told they can outsource 15% of line work. I can reference the Robert Isom remarks to his video on Jetnet from the last conference. It's at about the 11 to 12 minute mark of the video.

Back