Republic EMB170 Jumpseat. Captains need to chill!

AAA#6

May 12, 2007
I have jumpseated twice on Republic Airlines EMB 170's with ex-USAirways/MDA captains at the helm. Both captains were completely unprofessional to me (an AWA guy) because they are pissed at the outcome of their career and the merger. In fact with all that is going on, I have never been treated as bad by an EAST crew as these Republic guys treated me. In fact 99% of the EAST guys have been extremely professional to me on the jumpseat. Even though we don't agree, and there is a lot of emotion, I will say that EAST jumpseating has been a very positive experience.

BTW on Republic, I got on the jumpseat and bit my lip. I now expect bitter treatment from the furloughed AAA/MDA captain, but the 23 year old FO with all 1000 hours TT and 6 months with Mesa before coming to Republic didn't have to be an ameoba and act like his dickhead captain. I have been with AWA long before this kid qualified for a PP license. These guys need to learn not to blame the jumpseater for mergers and the acts of others, and treat jumpseater and his company with respect. This FO had no right to attack AWA or the merger or the seniority issues just because his captain did. This KID has no dog in the fight and should have acted like an ambassador extending friendship between AWA and the Republic group of pilots. If the USAirways captains and fo's at Republic Airlines want to play this game, we can easily make life tough to get on AWA aircraft jumpseat. AWA aircaft are now integrating EAST. We don't just fly PHX and LAS hubs. We are in BOS, DCA, CLT, PHL, PIT, TPA etc. Trust me this will get through the AWA ranks, because we don't need any more BS. We get enough from SOME (not all) of the EAST guys as it is, and a contract express company that represents a whole bunch of airlines doesnt' need to get involved.

So if a Republic guy shows up on your jumpseat and is wearing a USAirways uniform (which they do) or admits he is an ex MDA EMB employee, let them know. There are 1900 AWA guys that won't tolerate behavior like that.

I have jumpseated twice on Republic Airlines EMB 170's with ex-USAirways/MDA captains at the helm. Both captains were completely unprofessional to me (an AWA guy) because they are pissed at the outcome of their career and the merger. In fact with all that is going on, I have never been treated as bad by an EAST crew as these Republic guys treated me. In fact 99% of the EAST guys have been extremely professional to me on the jumpseat. Even though we don't agree, and there is a lot of emotion, I will say that EAST jumpseating has been a very positive experience.

BTW on Republic, I got on the jumpseat and bit my lip. I now expect bitter treatment from the furloughed AAA/MDA captain, but the 23 year old FO with all 1000 hours TT and 6 months with Mesa before coming to Republic didn't have to be an ameoba and act like his dickhead captain. I have been with AWA long before this kid qualified for a PP license. These guys need to learn not to blame the jumpseater for mergers and the acts of others, and treat jumpseater and his company with respect. This FO had no right to attack AWA or the merger or the seniority issues just because his captain did. This KID has no dog in the fight and should have acted like an ambassador extending friendship between AWA and the Republic group of pilots. If the USAirways captains and fo's at Republic Airlines want to play this game, we can easily make life tough to get on AWA aircraft jumpseat. AWA aircaft are now integrating EAST. We don't just fly PHX and LAS hubs. We are in BOS, DCA, CLT, PHL, PIT, TPA etc. Trust me this will get through the AWA ranks, because we don't need any more BS. We get enough from SOME (not all) of the EAST guys as it is, and a contract express company that represents a whole bunch of airlines doesnt' need to get involved.

So if a Republic guy shows up on your jumpseat and is wearing a USAirways uniform (which they do) or admits he is an ex MDA EMB employee, let them know. There are 1900 AWA guys that won't tolerate behavior like that.

ALPA has a professional standards phone number. Call it. And in the future you may have the privilege of calling USAPA's. But by all means entreat the pilot to behave and if he doesn't then call professional standards.

I'm not going to try to speak for the Republic pilots, or anyones attitude for that matter, we all have to realize that with full airplanes the jumpseat can be our only means of getting to and from work or wherever. All authorized pilots are welcome on board my flights anytime. Yes, I believe I am mature enough to separate my feelings long enough to get anyone from point A to point B without starting a battle. But one AWA pilot was doing his best to enlighten us. There are tactful ways to diffuse any animosity. How about "Let's agree to disagree?" and go on talking about a myriad of other topics if you want to talk. Starting a jumpseat war will just hurt everybody.

And yes I see a lot of AW planes on the east. But the east planes didn't just disappear. A lot of them are now flying out west.

I'm not going to try to speak for the Republic pilots, or anyones attitude for that matter, we all have to realize that with full airplanes the jumpseat can be our only means of getting to and from work or wherever. All authorized pilots are welcome on board my flights anytime. Yes, I believe I am mature enough to separate my feelings long enough to get anyone from point A to point B without starting a battle. But one AWA pilot was doing his best to enlighten us. There are tactful ways to diffuse any animosity. How about "Let's agree to disagree?" and go on talking about a myriad of other topics if you want to talk. Starting a jumpseat war will just hurt everybody.

And yes I see a lot of AW planes on the east. But the east planes didn't just disappear. A lot of them are now flying out west.

Exactly. There are a lot of other topics in the world to talk about while on the jumpseat, and I am sure we can all use a change of venue to remind us there is more to life. Thanks, and thanks for the jumpseat home. :rolleyes:

unprofessional to me (an AWA guy) because they are pissed at the outcome of their career and the merger.

"but the 23 year old FO with all 1000 hours TT and 6 months with Mesa before coming to Republic "

" I have been with AWA long before this kid qualified for a PP license. This KID has no dog in the fight and should have acted like an ambassador extending friendship between AWA and the Republic group of pilots. "

So you ran into a young pilot who was wet behind the ears, had a lot less experience than you who had no respect for your experience. This is totally new to this message board. I can not believe someone who did not have a (private pilot license) before you were hired by your airline had the audacity to even speak in your direction.

Now let me get this straight, this peon had a lot less flying time than you did. You were hired by a real airline long before ( two to three years by your standards) than this pathetic punk. Your were harassed, denied the due respect you so deserved because you are at the pinnacle of your carreer as an airline pilot.

tsk, tsk, what is this world coming to.

P.S. Do you in any way see the irony in your statements?

So you ran into a young pilot who was wet behind the ears, had a lot less experience than you who had no respect for your experience. This is totally new to this message board. I can not believe someone who did not have a (private pilot license) before you were hired by your airline had the audacity to even speak in your direction.

Now let me get this straight, this peon had a lot less flying time than you did. You were hired by a real airline long before ( two to three years by your standards) than this pathetic punk. Your were harassed, denied the due respect you so deserved because you are at the pinnacle of your carreer as an airline pilot.

tsk, tsk, what is this world coming to.
Hey Nos, shuush!!

You don't even have your PPL so you shouldn't talk!

Shuush!

Very true, yet it is not exactly the same thing. You conveniently ignore one important fact in the original post....the one giving him lip was a young Republic pilot who according to the poster was not a furloughed US pilot with no bone to pick in the East/West seniority dispute.

And yes I see a lot of AW planes on the east. But the east planes didn't just disappear.a few months ago A lot of them are now flying out west.

Thus far I have had only positive experiences as a guest on America West jumpseats and as a non rev in the cabin.

I think I stated months ago and will reiterate: The America West pilots I've met so far have been terrific. Good people. Good pilots.
It's always fun and interesting to meet new friends.

It is unfortunate that there are pilots from both groups (and obviously other groups like Republic) that seek confrontation,

Most of us are simply grateful for the professional courtesy and just want to get to and from our domiciles with minimum fuss.

Because the Joint Negotiations are stalled, contractual language that provides no-bump on East Metal for weight restricted flights and pilots permitted to occupy Flight Attendant jumpseats (currently approved on West Metal) will not be forthcoming. As many former East transcons are being flown by America West, this has now become a factor in commuting. In other words, just because you are the Primary/Alternate jumpseat listing, you may still be denied on a West Metal for Weight and Balance issues.

Similarly, many former West routes DFW-PHX, SLC-PHX, and others are now on East Metal. Since an America West pilot is considered an A1 Priority (same as an East Pilot), you will not be bumped for weight. However, if the cockpit jumpseats are full, you are not permitted to ride in the Flight Attendant jumseat on East Metal, as you would on a Cactus jet.

As a joint airline, these are privileges that both pilot groups should be afforded.

Thanks in advance from a long time migrant worker.

I was pointing out the irony of the posters thoughts earlier.

I firmly believe that anyone invited and allowed on the jump seat should be treated as a guest and in no way be used as a captive audience for anyones political agenda.

Any pilot occupying a jump seat on an aircraft I am on will be treated with respect and professionalism. In the many years I have been aloft I have yet to experience otherwise.

Occasionally there will be a bee or a fly that ends up in the cockpit and I will swat them for my protection. I had a junebug that I let go once out the cockpit window. It flew to the window pane in front of me before take off. It held on to 113 knots before it finally let go. I think next time I will just hit the windshield wiper switch once and do society a favor.

Flew an AAA Captain from PHL to SAN last week in the Jumpseat. Nice enough guy. I don't have any doubt he had some strong feelings about our current tedious relationship, but we kept it civil. He was curious about my age and seniority, told us when deplaning not to take the situation personally because it wasn't personal, and he reassured me that I was, "young enough that no matter what happened" I would have a long career. I understand he's trying to look out for his best interests. Hey, no offense taken. Regardless, as a fellow airline pilot he is always welcome to the jumpseat.

Three hours later, I met the CA at the podium in LAS to ask for a ride to PHL to visit family. Obviously recognizing that I was one of the other half of the company, he extended a hand to shake and told me I was always welcome to ride aboard. His FO was equally as professional in the cockpit although the yellow DOH sticker was plainly visible on his flightbag. Thankfully, I got a seat in the back and then upgraded further to a first class seat for the red-eye. I don't expect we're gonna act like BFFs, but I would expect guys to keep it professional and treat each other with respect.

If I flew with a Captain who tried to deny an East pilot and any other pilot for that matter without a damn good reason, I would tell him what I thought about him, tell him it was our last trip together, and I would no-fly him. Period.

Flew an AAA Captain from PHL to SAN last week in the Jumpseat. Nice enough guy. I don't have any doubt he had some strong feelings about our current tedious relationship, but we kept it civil. He was curious about my age and seniority, told us when deplaning not to take the situation personally because it wasn't personal, and he reassured me that I was, "young enough that no matter what happened" I would have a long career. I understand he's trying to look out for his best interests. Hey, no offense taken. Regardless, as a fellow airline pilot he is always welcome to the jumpseat.

Three hours later, I met the CA at the podium in LAS to ask for a ride to PHL to visit family. Obviously recognizing that I was one of the other half of the company, he extended a hand to shake and told me I was always welcome to ride aboard. His FO was equally as professional in the cockpit although the yellow DOH sticker was plainly visible on his flightbag. Thankfully, I got a seat in the back and then upgraded further to a first class seat for the red-eye. I don't expect we're gonna act like BFFs, but I would expect guys to keep it professional and treat each other with respect.

If I flew with a Captain who tried to deny an East pilot and any other pilot for that matter without a damn good reason, I would tell him what I thought about him, tell him it was our last trip together, and I would no-fly him. Period.

I think/hope that the vast majority of us are all on the same page here.

Regardless of the quagmire we're still stuck in, and the emotional coloring that occurs; any AWA pilot's welcome on "my" jumpseat, and will not be disrespected. Anything less from either side's unprofessional and unacceptable. The cockpit's the last place that needs any distractions added in.

The jumpseat is not the place to discuss the East - West pilot dispute. Any pilot, East or West, or from any other carrier is always welcome on my jumpseat.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The jumpseat is not the place to discuss the East - West pilot dispute.
I was thinking the same thing, but maybe or maybe not for the same reasons you think so. My thoughts are that we don't really need any heated or stressful discussions in the cockpit that are not directly related to flying the airplane. I realize that once above 10K, conversations can range across many topics. But to add a level of stress doesn't seem to be in the best interests of operating a safe flight.

I agree with all the posts here as I JS on East metal once to twice a month and that's normally in the pit.

EVERYONE has been cordial, professional and the least, friendly. We have had conversations from the Nic award, DOH to Dougweiser, you name it. Not once I have been treated with disrespect, even after they have asked how long I have been at AWA, etc.

Have had a few East JS's (2 or 3), and the same great experience. Even when there are 4 of US up there for a transcon.

East/West? Who cares because they are all welcome in my CP. Except if your name appears on my scab list, which hapened once and he did not go.

GL