Airtran to start BMI-MCO flights

coolflyingfool

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I like how AAI is avoiding strong WN routes until this move. WN has 5 BWI-MCO r/t and judging by WN's response to JB in the So. Cal. markets, look out AAI. I will say $59 fares from WN on Saturdays are right around the corner on this market. Just my thoughts.[;)]

BonanzaAir

Aug 20, 2002
----------------
On 8/25/2002 10:55:25 PM

I like how AAI is avoiding strong WN routes until this move. WN has 5 BWI-MCO r/t ... Just my thoughts.[;)]
----------------

Airtran just added a Saturday nonstop Orlando to Bloomington/Normal(BMI) not BWI. Airtran already flies 3 nonstops MCO-BWI, no need to announce that.

Bonanza

lownslow

Advanced
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
This BMI-MCO flight comes at the cost of one of the 3 daily BMI-ATL flights (so on Sat only, AAI flys 2x BMI-ATL and 1x BMI-MCO, vs 3x BMI-ATL every other day). So its not really any expansion of service, but rather just a reallocation. This may be a wise move if there is enough leisure travel to MCO from the area, but a 1x weekly flight can be extremely difficult to fill with anything but bargain basement travelers.

lowfareair

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
----------------
On 8/26/2002 3:21:09 AM

This BMI-MCO flight comes at the cost of one of the 3 daily BMI-ATL flights (so on Sat only, AAI flys 2x BMI-ATL and 1x BMI-MCO, vs 3x BMI-ATL every other day). So its not really any expansion of service, but rather just a reallocation. This may be a wise move if there is enough leisure travel to MCO from the area, but a 1x weekly flight can be extremely difficult to fill with anything but bargain basement travelers.
----------------

Actually, this is a good way to not only test the market, but grab marketshare. It will get them more travelers who make one portion of their trip on a Sat, and being the only nonstop flight to MCO from BMI, SPI, or PIA, it can get them more travelers. They can also raise yield slightly, and profit.

lownslow

Advanced
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
----------------
On 8/26/2002 4:17:03 PM

Actually, this is a good way to not only test the market, but grab marketshare. It will get them more travelers who make one portion of their trip on a Sat, and being the only nonstop flight to MCO from BMI, SPI, or PIA, it can get them more travelers. They can also raise yield slightly, and profit.
----------------

True - if this doesn't end up costing in traffic because of the loss in connection opportunities on Saturdays....

Don't forget CMI or DEC in your service area - DEC has only American connection service to STL, and BMI is becoming a popular alternative to CMI for travelers in the Champaign/Urbana area - the old folks, for example, live about 2 miles from the airport in Champaign, but have driven to BMI for flights (35-40 minute drive, but free parking when you get there, as opposed to the $1.50-3/hr parking at CMI

Cart Pusher

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Saturdays are typically slower traffic days and almost all of it is leisure traffic. Adding a Sat. only nonstop to MCO is an excellent idea. Southwest has been doing this for years. They, for instance, reduce the nonstops from CLE-BWI/MDW and add a Sat. only nonstop to LAS from CLE. It's a great idea.