Airtran to start BMI-MCO flights

I like how AAI is avoiding strong WN routes until this move. WN has 5 BWI-MCO r/t and judging by WN's response to JB in the So. Cal. markets, look out AAI. I will say $59 fares from WN on Saturdays are right around the corner on this market. Just my thoughts.[;)]

----------------
On 8/25/2002 10:55:25 PM

I like how AAI is avoiding strong WN routes until this move. WN has 5 BWI-MCO r/t ... Just my thoughts.[;)]
----------------

Airtran just added a Saturday nonstop Orlando to Bloomington/Normal(BMI) not BWI. Airtran already flies 3 nonstops MCO-BWI, no need to announce that.

Bonanza

This BMI-MCO flight comes at the cost of one of the 3 daily BMI-ATL flights (so on Sat only, AAI flys 2x BMI-ATL and 1x BMI-MCO, vs 3x BMI-ATL every other day). So its not really any expansion of service, but rather just a reallocation. This may be a wise move if there is enough leisure travel to MCO from the area, but a 1x weekly flight can be extremely difficult to fill with anything but bargain basement travelers.

----------------
On 8/26/2002 3:21:09 AM

This BMI-MCO flight comes at the cost of one of the 3 daily BMI-ATL flights (so on Sat only, AAI flys 2x BMI-ATL and 1x BMI-MCO, vs 3x BMI-ATL every other day). So its not really any expansion of service, but rather just a reallocation. This may be a wise move if there is enough leisure travel to MCO from the area, but a 1x weekly flight can be extremely difficult to fill with anything but bargain basement travelers.
----------------

Actually, this is a good way to not only test the market, but grab marketshare. It will get them more travelers who make one portion of their trip on a Sat, and being the only nonstop flight to MCO from BMI, SPI, or PIA, it can get them more travelers. They can also raise yield slightly, and profit.

----------------
On 8/26/2002 4:17:03 PM

Actually, this is a good way to not only test the market, but grab marketshare. It will get them more travelers who make one portion of their trip on a Sat, and being the only nonstop flight to MCO from BMI, SPI, or PIA, it can get them more travelers. They can also raise yield slightly, and profit.
----------------

True - if this doesn't end up costing in traffic because of the loss in connection opportunities on Saturdays....

Don't forget CMI or DEC in your service area - DEC has only American connection service to STL, and BMI is becoming a popular alternative to CMI for travelers in the Champaign/Urbana area - the old folks, for example, live about 2 miles from the airport in Champaign, but have driven to BMI for flights (35-40 minute drive, but free parking when you get there, as opposed to the $1.50-3/hr parking at CMI

Saturdays are typically slower traffic days and almost all of it is leisure traffic. Adding a Sat. only nonstop to MCO is an excellent idea. Southwest has been doing this for years. They, for instance, reduce the nonstops from CLE-BWI/MDW and add a Sat. only nonstop to LAS from CLE. It's a great idea.

Latest posts