All Hot Meals Gone Domestically

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
Just read a post on flyertalk... apparantly US has switched transcon F/C meals to snackbox as well.

This is the nail in the coffen for me. I've been US CP for many years, and I cannot stomach this move.

Sure, many people have argued that "the snackboxes are better than the F/C meal anyway," but the fact that one of the major airlines won't even use their ovens anymore is disgusting. Especially when UA, who is arguably in worse shape than US, can offer wonderful F service on transcon. Or even when you consider that HP will now offer a better F/C product than US.

I've watched US go from serving Fillet Mignon to a cold pasta, and I stood by as long as I could. The fact that F/C will now get the same treatment as coach is unacceptable - especially when I can fly any of the other big 5 and get a hot meal in F.

Goodbye US. Your employees are the best, as I've voiced many times before, but I cannot watch this anymore.

Just booked F LAS-LAX-JFK in April on AA... $1,300 that would have gone to US, but not anymore.

If anyone can get a big campaign going like what happened with the preferred miles in 2002, I will be back. Until then, all the best to you.

ISP,

Your loyalty to this point was beyond comprehension. It is too bad that mgt has finally chased you off. I don't blame you one bit and am surprised you didn't vote with your money far sooner.

Best wishes,
Phoenix

ISP, Im not sure this is actually true. Might want to call US before making a move. US did do away with most of hot meal service, check with US on this. If true, usually they have matched what other airlines have done... ie the low fares and no frills service of SW

USFliboi,

Unfortunately, ISP is 100% correct. I flew transcon before and after the change. There was a memo issued which stated that Happy Meals would be loaded for First class on transcons and offered at no charge to First passengers.

On my outbound PHL-SEA Monday night there was an actually good meal--a chicken dish which was new. On my return to PHL on the way to BOS Wed, all they had was Happy Meals in the box-not even repackaged--a breakfast flight offering a coffee cake with yogurt or a ham and cheese croissant.

This is yet another example of identity confusion--a company that doesn't know what it wants to be when they grow up. Either they want to remove ALL frills and be another Greyhound Air or they want to get the business traveler back and actually improve inflight service, as other carriers have done.

I know costs are an issue but this is a ridiculous move--which will drive away business travelers. And for those of you who start whining about how we wanted lower fares, move on---business travelers want FAIR fares, not bargain basement Greyhound Air fares. But that's a discussion for another thread.

ISP I for one am sorry to see you go--you have been an ally and I was hoping you would join FFOCUS.

My best to you all.....

Yes, this is 100% correct and I was wondering when the crap would hit the fan. We got the memo on Jan 31st about this hair brained move and we all were talking about it on my last trip just DREADING the wrath of First class customers. This is the most cheap thing they have done so far and makes the removal of glassware pale in comparison. I was ashamed at the product we offered before and now, I am just out of words. I really am sorry and believe me, it's not the choice of the flight attendants or the front line employees. Our sincerest apologies.

Now that we get happy meals in the front, I want to know what the "prize" is in them, as my 4 year old son, GoFares Boy, would ask. If you buy a Happy Meal from McD's (or similar product elsewhere), the kids get a toy. What's the "toy" for a FC passenger?

You all need to e-mail the new Vice President of Marketing and complain, that is outrageous that you do not get a hot meal in F/C on a transcon.

Time to turn off the lights and let the roaches come out.

Extremely disappointing news. I'm not sure if I'm ready to swear off US yet since most of my flights are relatively short hops up and down the east coast, but when I do fly transcon, I expect a better level of service in F than a cold box. Maybe it's time for me to give CO or DL another look.

700UW said:
You all need to e-mail the new Vice President of Marketing and complain, that is outrageous that you do not get a hot meal in F/C on a transcon.

Time to turn off the lights and let the roaches come out.
[post="245375"][/post]​
just did

I switched to NW last August and have never looked back. That's on average $45-50K/year of revenue US lost. And, ironically, I never got Bruce's Clear Skies e-mail, Marketing has never sent me any "please come back" e-mails, etc. You would think if someone who flew US every week for 5 years suddenly stopped, Marketing would be trying to figure out why. I guess no one cares.

ISP said:
...I cannot stomach this move.
[post="245350"][/post]​
Hee...am I the only one that caught this pun (unintentional though it may be)?

Anyway, I have to agree that there is no excuse for US to have a worse FC product than HP, considering that the plan appears to be to model US after HP.

Bad move.

mweiss said:
Hee...am I the only one that caught this pun (unintentional though it may be)?
Anyway, I have to agree that there is no excuse for US to have a worse product.

Sky high states: I took a look at the responses over at Flyertalk.com. The majority of frequent flyers HATE this move to B.O.B meals.
Is it the quality of food?
Because the same thing is served in coach?
Because it's not hot?
It's in a box?
Certain expectations in First?

ISP said:
Just read a post on flyertalk... apparantly US has switched transcon F/C meals to
Goodbye US. Your employees are the best, as I've voiced many times before, but I cannot watch this anymore.

Just booked F LAS-LAX-JFK in April on AA... $1,300 that would have gone to US, but not anymore.

[post="245350"][/post]​

Should have posted this at AA where they might care.

Yet another example where Lakefield and his high priced wiz-kids can't decide what kind of airline they wants to run.

If you're going to have first class, have first class. If not rip it out and stuff it with small seats.

Pathetic.

USAirBoyA330 said:
I am just out of words.  I really am sorry and believe me, it's not the choice of the flight attendants or the front line employees.  Our sincerest apologies.
[post="245369"][/post]​
No need to apologize. Quiet frankly the front line employees have continued to amaze me by turning a pig's ear into a silk purse. You are not to blame, although I'm sure you will take the brunt of the wrath. Just give them Mr. Ashby phone number and suggest they call.

And as 700UW has noted, it is time for the cockroaches to come out. No need to write though. I understand the new VP of Marketing lurks here daily. I'm sure he has noted our displeasure and is working to change it as we speak. :rolleyes:

Latest posts