Alpa Orders Nc To Obtain New Agreement

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
The impetus behind out of seniority furloughs, no severance pay, and no MDA displacements to permit new furloughs to fly at MDA is based on two issues: the 150 mainline aircraft point-to-point flying and to conserve cash during the judicial reorganization.

Every union was briefed on this plan months ago, but in the case of ALPA the RC4 dictators have ignored the company’s alternative plan and the advice of the advisor’s who said this plan could be implemented.

As I have previously discussed, the 282 mainline fleet, that would have incrementally increase to 320 aircraft, was based on labor participation and the implementation of the Transformation Plan (TP). The TP is forecast to provide a 4% profit margin and the 150 aircraft mainline fleet would provide a 8% profit margin. There are many creditor’s that are pushing the unsecured creditor’s committee and the company to implement the 150 aircraft plan as part of the new business plan, plan of reorganization, and disclosure statement.

It’s unclear at this time if the plan for out of seniority furloughs is a “club†to get TP labor participation or is the beginning of the 150 aircraft plan.

As I understand it, the 150 aircraft plan provides enormous cost savings by using the court to reduce fixed costs that could not be done outside of the bankruptcy court. It’s a myth that you cannot shrink to profitability in bankruptcy because the company has tools at its disposal that are not available outside of bankruptcy.

Potential cost savings could include hub elimination, better flight crew cross utilization, increased aircraft productivity/utilization, reducing the size and scope of Philadelphia and Charlotte flying, closure of the Pittsburgh maintenance facility, elimination of the A330, B767, and B737s, to create fleet rationalization. This would permit the company to pull down the Charlotte A330 and B767 heavy maintenance tracks, the entire Pittsburgh maintenance facility, eliminate about two thirds of reservation sales functions and possibly close both the Pittsburgh and Winston-Salem reservation sales offices, close at CTO’s, and if the company wins the A320 grievance award, the company would only have to conduct B757 overhaul for a short period, until these aircraft could be replaced with A322 and A321 aircraft.

A key component of this plan to reduce a huge training expense would be to furlough out of seniority.

The operational business plan would be to emulate JetBlue with probably B757, A320, EMB-170/195, and CRJ-200/700/900 aircraft to offer point-to-point flying from 7 East Coast cities: BOS, LGA, PHL, DCA, FLL, PIT, & PHL. Today’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote two articles that indicate the company may now have decided to implement this plan:

US Airways may cut jet fleet - Pilots would face furloughs, changes in work rules

See Story

US Airways' (Pittsburgh) November flight cuts may hold for a year

See Story

I believe there are two key points here. This plan is being pushed by the creditors and the company does not want to implement the 150 aircraft plan, however, maybe forced to by the creditor’s since management no longer controls the airline. In addition, each union’s leadership has known about this plan and ignored the risks, especially ALPA’s RC4 who have known about this plan for months. I believe it’s important to “shoot the messengerâ€, but if you do not like this plan then pilot’s should contact the PHL and PIT Reps and other union members should contact their Reps for an explanation on why there are no new labor accords, which could eliminate about 10,000 jobs.

In summary, if labor wants to participate in about a 282 aircraft TP, with increases in flying a mainline aircraft over time, then each union better obtain a tentative agreement this week. If not, then employees should get ready to implement the 150 aircraft point-to-point fleet plan to fully emulate JetBlue, versus the LCC/network carrier hybrid business model. If this plan occurs, expect the company to petition the court to furlough all groups out of seniority by position/base, not provide severance pay, or J4J opportunities.

Late today the ALPA MEC unanimously passed a resolution directing the NC to obtain a TA and there are no restrictions on the potentail agreement contents. The company is expected to file its S.1113(e) motion as early as tomorrow and the proposed contract terms will be made public. There is one narrow opportunity still available for every union to obtain a TA, but the window is almost closed.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Potential cost savings could include hub elimination, better flight crew cross utilization, increased aircraft productivity/utilization, reducing the size and scope of Philadelphia and Charlotte flying, closure of the Pittsburgh maintenance facility, elimination of the A330, B767, and B737s, to create fleet rationalization. This would permit the company to pull down the Charlotte A330 and B767 heavy maintenance tracks, the entire Pittsburgh maintenance facility, eliminate about two thirds of reservation sales functions and possibly close both the Pittsburgh and Winston-Salem reservation sales offices, close at CTO’s, and if the company wins the A320 grievance award, the company would only have to conduct B757 overhaul for a short period, until these aircraft could be replaced with A322 and A321 aircraft.

[post="183171"][/post]​

US only has 2 reservations offices, so I doubt that they would close both. If I were to guess, I would say PIT would be on the chopping block.

USA320PILOT,

Who was the first to report that 150 mainline aircraft were consistently profitable ? Sorry, not usa320pilot. Wolf, circa 1996-1997 in carrier of choice plan to become a global carrier.

Who was the the second to report 150 mainline aircraft were consistently profitable ? Sorry, not usa320pilot. Siegel and company circa 2002 in plan to reduce costs outside of bankruptcy and secure ATSB loan by having to file application by July 1, 2002 deadline or won't be able to apply after this date. If my memory serves me correctly didn't United just get their final rejection for government assistance roughly 1 1/2 years past that July 1st 2002 deadline.

Alot has changed in this industry since those dates above. Yet the company target of 150 mainline profitable aircraft remains unchanged. While just about every other target that was filed to receive the atsb loan was so far off base (miscalculated or just pure ignorance, from a team that just knew it would work because the same plan had succeeded at Northwest and Continental under the same team. Siegels words not mine, give credit where credit is due).

If I were a creditor, a BAGFULL of new batteries I would definitely want for my calculator and the best Bullsh** detector money could buy !!!

I'm sure that I'm the only one that's curious, but I'll ask anyway. How was a call for a roll-call vote avoided?

jm

If they get rid of A330 and B767 then this will mean they eliminate all Euro flights!! They wouldn't do that would they??

Justme said:
I'm sure that I'm the only one that's curious, but I'll ask anyway. How was a call for a roll-call vote avoided?

jm
[post="183185"][/post]​

Simply put rhetoric has run squarely into reality.The R/C 4 voted with the other
8 members because not to do so would only lead to higher demands from the creditors.

US10

SirA320,
Yes, bankruptcy affords a company tremendous opportunities to reduce costs - opportunities which US failed to take advantage of 2 years ago. It doesn't mean that companies can successfully transform the business with the cuts available to them, esp. in a service business. Tell me one large business that has successfully restructured its costs under bankruptcy cutting costs as US is proposing from its labor groups and is a successful, profitable, stable company today. Answer: NONE. Because service businesses require happy people that are committed to the company and its welfare. US has and continues to remove any chance of employees ever being in that position. US' only chance at this point is to liquidate the company and start over again with new investors, a new corporate structure, and likely, a lot few of the current employees.

And yes, the company does want to push the 150 aircraft plan. Who do you think put together the profit projections for the two plans? It sure wasn't the creditors (note the absence of the apostrophe when using the plural). US wants a 150 aircraft airline and is willing to throw just about everyone overboard in order to get it.

The NC is charged to re-engage with the company in negotiations and that is it. The RC4 will determine whether the agreed upon offer is in the best interest of the majority of the pilot force. That simply is the way it is.

-fatburger-

WorldTraveler said:
SirA320,
Yes, bankruptcy affords a company tremendous opportunities to reduce costs - opportunities which US failed to take advantage of 2 years ago. It doesn't mean that companies can successfully transform the business with the cuts available to them, esp. in a service business. Tell me one large business that has successfully restructured its costs under bankruptcy cutting costs as US is proposing from its labor groups and is a successful, profitable, stable company today. Answer: NONE. Because service businesses require happy people that are committed to the company and its welfare. US has and continues to remove any chance of employees ever being in that position. US' only chance at this point is to liquidate the company and start over again with new investors, a new corporate structure, and likely, a lot few of the current employees.

And yes, the company does want to push the 150 aircraft plan. Who do you think put together the profit projections for the two plans? It sure wasn't the creditors (note the absence of the apostrophe when using the plural). US wants a 150 aircraft airline and is willing to throw just about everyone overboard in order to get it.
[post="183221"][/post]​

Continental Airlines.

US10

Fatburger:

Fatburger said: "The NC is charged to re-engage with the company in negotiations and that is it. The RC4 will determine whether the agreed upon offer is in the best interest of the majority of the pilot force. That simply is the way it is."

USA320Pilot: The RC4 have been neutered and are in trouble. They will not block a deal and there has been a significant change of events. Furthermore, Senator's Rick Santorum and Arlen Specter will meet today with the RC4 today.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Close both res offices?! Surely you don't think everyone can book on the website? The fare sale for the last two days should answer that statement. It's a piece of crap!

From http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review...s/s_254131.html

Fred Freshwater, president of ALPA Council 94 in Pittsburgh, said that yesterday's vote did not reflect a softening in the Pennsylvania representatives' position.

"The landscape has changed with the company's (bankruptcy) filing, and we have to continually reassess what's best for this group,'' Freshwater said. "We felt this was the proper thing to do, but any proposal still has to wend its way past this group.''

Fred Freshwater and the other member's of the RC4 will continue to pound their chest both in private and public communications to try and save face. I guarantee you these men are in trouble and are simply now trying to stay alive.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Fatburger:

Fatburger said: "The NC is charged to re-engage with the company in negotiations and that is it. The RC4 will determine whether the agreed upon offer is in the best interest of the majority of the pilot force. That simply is the way it is."

USA320Pilot: The RC4 have been neutered and are in trouble. They will not block a deal and there has been a significant change of events. Furthermore, Senator's Rick Santorum and Arlen Specter will meet today with the RC4 today.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="183303"][/post]​

They will also meet with the f/a rank and file next week.

"RC4 neutered and are in trouble"?...you make me laugh. :lol: