ALPA Post Seniority Integration Award Information

Is it possible that Mr. Nicolau's advanced age has clouded his judgement in arbitration matters?

I understand he is well into his 80's. Could it be that this outrageous list was created by an unsound mind?

I mean it as a serious question. If an Arbitrator is of unsound mind, how can the settlement be binding? Particularly when the arbitrated settlement is so egregious.

Traditionally, a merged list is spot on when everyone is equally upset at the result. Clearly in this case the upset is heavily one-sided, with enormous gains for AWA pilots. Has senility crept in to the process?
\

I cannot remember how long the list of dementia experts is.

Dear Fellow Pilot,

In my opinion, here are the actions the MEC should take to protect every pre-merger US Airways pilot, not just those at the top, but the entire list:

- Listen to the company’s May 8 and 9 comprehensive proposal.

- Negotiate an A340 LOA, which would provide more high paying PHL-based positions.

- Stop the 3-engine taxi, TOGA takeoffs, and other actions that increase costs, damage the business enterprise, and lower profit sharing payments.

- Do not agree to a new combined contract, unless Doug Parker does not accept the Arbitrators award.

- Stop spending money on ALPA billboards, ads, and other issues and use this money to pay down our merger assessment.

The benefits:

- Maintain a DOH seniority list and capture all of the attrition based career expectation. George Nicolau commented on the US Airways pilot’s significant attrition and by not agreeing to a contract the East pilots would obtain every widebody position, every EMB-190 position, and continue having recalls/improved seniority only in East Coast crew bases.

- Continue with significant East Coast pilot recalls, which improves everybody’s seniority and limits POTA’s, the inability to drop trips, and better schedules.

- Obtain pay raises as reserves become blockholders, first officers become captains again instead of pulling the gear for a pilot about 10 years junior to them in regard to tenure, and narrowbody pilots become widebody pilots.

- Delay or prevent Pref Bid from being implemented, which will only benefit the very senior pilot and create quality of life problems for the junior pilot. Keep the current line construction, primary line, secondary line, SAP, VLA, and AIL bidding system in place.

By the way - not obtaining a new contract will hurt me because I want to be an A320 Captain in PIT and I will not bid a widebody at this time because quality of life is more important to me than money. Would a pay and benefit increase be nice? Absolutely, but to me it is not worth selling out the junior/majority of pilots seniority.

Regards,

Gee I wonder who wrote that?

Don't worry he will flip flop like he always does.

And Parker has nothing to do with union matters in regards to seniority.

Maybe he should have thought of that before he became the #1 cheerleader for concessions.

Karma is a biatch. If you and the GAG had a spine you would not be in the situation are you in.

LEC Update - May 5, 2007

Fellow Pilots,

To say we are outraged over the Nicolau Award is a gross understatement. In our opinion, the Award does not comport with ALPA Merger Policy. Not only is it baseless but it lacks the fundamentals of fair and equitable treatment as specified by ALPA Merger Policy. This Award is as unacceptable to us – as your Reps - as we are certain it is to you.

The first thing we ask of you is to remain focused on your health and wellbeing - and that of your Family. Please attempt to control your reaction to current events. If you are unable to act and think in a rational way, please avoid activities that require those abilities. Understand that EAP/Behavioral Health Program is available at 1-800-363-7190. Please COORDINATE your use of the EAP with that of our AeroMedical Coordinators, Steve Javaras at 317-844-2742 or Henry (Buzz) Griffin 704-896-0868.

The MEC will be meeting tomorrow Sunday at 16:00. We will gather all the pertinent information and advice that we can. At that time, we will consider all options and inform you of our direction. This award is, at best, untenable.

Fraternally,

Eric Rowe
Dave Ciabattoni
Don Iorio
Sergio Fernandez
John Brookman
Rocco Spartano
Mike Swiatkowski

LEC Update - May 5, 2007

Fellow Pilots,

To say we are outraged over the Nicolau Award is a gross understatement. In our opinion, the Award does not comport with ALPA Merger Policy. Not only is it baseless but it lacks the fundamentals of fair and equitable treatment as specified by ALPA Merger Policy.

You can be as outraged as you want but it seems you forget the one key element. The final process of the Merger Policy is "binding award" It seems to me the guidelines given in the Merger Policy are just that guidelines in the mediation process to come to an agreement. IF an agreement isn't reached then "The Arbitration Board conducts hearings and then issues a final and binding award."

If there is any recourse in the Merger Policy or ALPA policies against a "binding award" decision can someone please post it?

I know the RLA has some recourse against binding aribitration decisions but I wouldn't think that would apply to ALPA Merger Policy awards. Isn't APLA's Merger Policy used outside of RLA juristriction?

ALPA merger policy is outside the RLA, the RLA does not cover union seniority issues.

The arbitation process mentioned is for contractual disputes under the RLA, not interunion politics.

According to AWA ALPA MEC Chairman John McIlvenna in his May 4 Hotline message, “Management is planning to give us a comprehensive economic proposal on May 8. We had expected to meet with both MECs and come up with a counterproposal by the end of May, but the east MEC cancelled the internal meetings we had scheduled to discuss our counters.â€￾

“The May 8 “Kirby Proposalâ€￾ will be an effort by management to try and get us closer to a deal, but I believe that it is really designed to go directly to the pilots (mostly the east pilots) to put pressure on us to close the deal. But with the list out, I think all bets are off,â€￾ McIlvenna said.

“Please remember that this merged list cannot be utilized by management until a joint contract is in place,â€￾ McIlvenna noted.

Regards,

USA320Pilot