New Routes In 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbia blue

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
from the yahoo board..new point to point etc.

America West sees growth in new routes
Mike Sunnucks
The Business Journal

America West Airlines plans on growing 10 percent next year, with the majority of that coming from new point-to-point flights and not via its main hubs in Phoenix and Las Vegas.

AmWest executives Thursday said they expect 60 percent of next year's growth will come from new low- fare point-to-point service while 40 percent will stem from hub operations at Phoenix Sky Harbor International and Las Vegas McCarran airports.

The Tempe-based airline has already begun new nonstop transcontinental service between Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Boston's Logan and New York's JFK airports. In December, JFK to San Francisco service begins. New Boston to San Francisco nonstop service begins in March.

America West Chairman and Chief Executive Doug Parker and vice president Scott Kirby want more point-to-points in and out of California in place next year. America West applied with government agencies to fly nonstop between San Francisco and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Approval for that new service could come as soon as next month, said Kirby.

Kirby said the airline would also like to begin transcontinental service out of Washington's Reagan National or Dulles airport and is also taking a look at such service to other major U.S. markets, as well as Mexican business hubs such as Monterrey and Mexico City.

"We think we have lots of opportunities," said Kirby at America West's annual media day with reporters.

Airline officials stress the focus on point-to-point (which has cost advantages) will not take away from AmWest's significant operations at Sky Harbor and Vegas.

America West continues to lobby for more flight slot availability at National and New York's Laguardia airports. Congress has approved more west coast flights at National and AmWest has applied for those spaces.

Buoyed by a profitable second and third quarters, increased numbers of business travelers and a successful transformation into a low-fare airline, America West will take delivery of several Airbus planes next year, will try to maximize usage of its existing fleet and plans on acquiring more jets in 2005.

Parker said he will look at both Airbus and Boeing planes for that acquisition.

Still, America West faces plenty of industry and company-specific challenges. The Air Line Pilots Association narrowly defeated a second tentative contract with the carrier earlier this week.

Parker said AmWest is open to the pilots' union holding another vote on the matter and said an $18

million pool of cash set aside for bonuses related to the contract would not available after the end of the year because it's part of this year's financials. Parker said he was frustrated by the failed pilot contract votes but would keep working on the matter.

America West vice president and top lobbyist C.A. Howlett said the carrier will continue to lobby for the reduction of security fees and taxes, which he argues are an overburden on the industry. Howlett said the addition of new security related fees, increased airport landing fees and taxes coupled with existing levies make airlines more heavily taxed than the tobacco industry.

Howlett said that at some airports back east AmWest has to sublease gates from traditional carriers. He and Parker want to see more access to those airports.

Next year, America West will also begin paying back the $429 million loan guarantee it received from the federal government to help it stay afloat after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Those payments will be made in 10 installments over the next five years beginning in March

In case you missed it..AWA is adding a few more flts at LAS.. El Paso and Cleveland will be mainline. SAT,YVR,AUS, and YEG will be CRJ's. Also, apparently America West is looking to add a few routes to Mexico from LAX and SFO.

New LAS

Columbia blue said:
In case you missed it..AWA is adding a few more flts at LAS.. El Paso and Cleveland will be mainline. SAT,YVR,AUS, and YEG will be CRJ's.
Except for LAS-CLE, all of the other 'new' LAS spokes are all resumptions of former mainline routes that were operated at one time or another. LAS-(Calgary)-YEG was actually HP's first international route, way back in the mid-80s.

I believe that when AWA started CLE they did have a nonstop "nitflite" to CLE. It was not started when CLE opened but was added a couple of months later. I want to say it lasted about a year and was dropped. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that I took it once. Not looking to pick a fight, just believe it was there once already. Just thinking out loud..........

Coolflyingfool --

When America West started out, every city served had a nite flight. Basically, the aircraft would not overnight at a spoke city. The general idea was to increase revenue and utilization by having the aircraft go to LAS late at night and return from LAS as a red-eye flight. Then, the aircraft would be in place for the early morning flight back to PHX.

As America West expanded and some smaller spoke cities had very low loads to LAS, they abandoned the "every city has a nite flite" strategy. Yes, I do remember that CLE had a nite flite at one time.

I was one of the orginal staff for HP in CLE when it opened in 1996, back than we had one daily CLE-PHX and one daily CLE-LAS. The LAS route never did well, even when they brought it back a second time. I dont think it will work this time either espcially with the bad times it operates.

AWA has entered the fray for DCA slots. HP has filed an application for more PHX and LAS routes. AWA has also added in their application that it goes against what the legislation intended, but if the DOT decides to hand out LAX and SFO routes, AWA wants those instead. Probably be a while before we find out who gets what though.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I hate it when AWA says they are starting new service between 2 cities when it is actually a re re-instatement. LAS-BUR has been halted 2 times and will be now started for a 3rd time. In the press release if it just said that AWA was pleased to re-introduce service I think that would satisfy me. There, now I feel better. Have a good day.

America West is up to their old tricks of sending customers in to the "C" gates and then having them walk over to the "A" and "B" gates for their connecting flight. This entitles us to a second screening by the TSA. Thanks AWA! I thought this had stopped, but I guess it started againg. Next to my departure gate in the "A" concourse was a 50 seat RJ. It had the gate to itself. How about bringing the 50 seater in to the "C" gates instead of a 150 seater. How about inconvenienceing a third of the passengers. That also make the TSA line smaller as well. I had 1 hour and 10 inutes to make my connection. By the time I got off the plane in the "C" gates and got through the TSA checkpoint for the "A" gates I only had 20 minutes to make my plane. I still had another 5 minute walk to the gate. Thanks for the workout. When I got tho the gate the gate agent informed me that I almost missed my plane. How nice of her. There is a letter going to AWA as well as this rant. To cap it off, when I got on the plane, they duped my seat assignment.

coolflyingfool said:
America West is up to their old tricks of sending customers in to the "C" gates and then having them walk over to the "A" and "B" gates for their connecting flight. This entitles us to a second screening by the TSA.
What airport are you referring to? It can't be PHX because all gates on either side of Terminal 4 (both HP and Herb) are accessible after going through security on either side.
Possibly LAS? Although I can't see how HP could have that many aircraft on the ground there at any one time to require using three concourses.
Anyway, you left out that one pertinent bit of info...

Yes, I am sorry I left the airport out. OOPS! My bad! It is in fact LAS. And from what I could tell, the whole "B" concourse is AWA and the "A" gates had 2 CO and maybe an ALASKA in the corner, but I can't say for sure. This was during their Night Flights at 10:00 pm.

Well AWA has announced a 10% percent growth for 2004..As far as new service, the only routes that I think are definates are IAD transcons. I expect an announcement in the next month or two. AWA may be waiting for the DCA application shakeout before they jump. Otherwise not sure where they could add. PHX seems to be tapped out for domestic service as far as big money making routes, unless you want to go after a fortress hub, i.e. Cincinnati, Charlotte. What's left? JAX, Las Cruces, Rockford Ill.? Maybe one new int'l route this year. San Salvador? Belize? Winnepeg? It will be interesting to see if there are any new markets announced in the nezt few months.

IAD is not a given. Doug Parker announced in a quarterly conference call that a new transcon was coming, but there has been no announcement as of yet.

ANC is being added as a year round flight from PHX starting 6/1. I saw something earlier today about RFD, and would expect that it is a RJ route.

hp_fa said:
IAD is not a given. Doug Parker announced in a quarterly conference call that a new transcon was coming, but there has been no announcement as of yet.

ANC is being added as a year round flight from PHX starting 6/1. I saw something earlier today about RFD, and would expect that it is a RJ route.
Does HP really want to take on Jetblue and United???

Status
Not open for further replies.