New Routes In 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess GEG is doing okay and BOI is not going as well. I think BOI started out with 3 737s to PHX and 1 A319 to LAS a day, so it has been cut by 50%. GEG started with the same service I think, but has only cut capacity by downgrading to those damn rjs on 2 of the flights. Just my thoughts.......

2005 Brings the return of 2 LAS routes! LGB and BFL see their return to Vegas. Also OKC comes back from the depths of what, 1987. It has been almost 20 years since AWA served OKC! Wow, that almost ranks up there with UA returning to Vietnam after 30 years or longer.

What I hate, is that fact that AWA will tout these as NEW flights and cities as there are just flights there were eliminated and are now returning. I am getting off my soap box.

coolflyingfool said:
2005 Brings the return of 2 LAS routes! LGB and BFL see their return to Vegas. Also OKC comes back from the depths of what, 1987. It has been almost 20 years since AWA served OKC! Wow, that almost ranks up there with UA returning to Vietnam after 30 years or longer.

Well over 20 years, actually. OKC (and TUL) were HP cities only from 12/1/83 to 10/28/84. They have the distinction of being the first two destinations dropped by the then-fledgling airline.

Well... Those flights are "new" in the sense that you could not buy a ticket to OKC last week on HP and now you can. It something that wasn't there yesterday (or last week or "recently").

It is also "new" in that HP will offer a lot more connecting cities than they did in 1984! Back then their "network" was what 15 cities maybe... How many do they fly to now?

The bigger picture is that this kind of shows that HP is somewhat limited from PHX/LAS... Relegated to try some of the same things over and over... Although they have added some truly new stuff like Kalispell and Sioux Falls. Perhaps why they were at least kicking the tires at ATA.

They also said they're not going back into SFO-JFK or BOS, and will drop IAD-LAX. Only keeping LAX-JFK and BOS.

How about El Salvador?

By SUSAN CAREY in Chicago and ALEX FRANGOS in Comalapa, El Salvador
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
January 21, 2005; Page A1

JetBlue Airways doesn't offer passenger service to El Salvador. But this year, the discount airline will fly at least 17 of its 68 Airbus A320 jets to that country.

There, over six days, local mechanics working for an aircraft-overhaul shop under contract to JetBlue will inspect each plane nose to tail. They'll examine hydraulic and pneumatic systems, lubricate joints, service brakes and paint tray tables and toilet seats. Then the jets will fly back to the U.S.

America West Airlines also is sending some of its planes to El Salvador for checkups required by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration. Northwest Airlines flies wide-body jets to Singapore and Hong Kong for service by outside contractors.

As beleaguered U.S. airlines seek to cut costs, they are outsourcing a job that is crucial to passenger safety: long-term maintenance. While airlines continue to use their own mechanics for lighter maintenance between flights to ensure punctuality, half of U.S. carriers' heavy-overhaul work is now performed by outside vendors in the U.S. and overseas. That's up from less than a third in 1990, says consulting firm BACK Aviation Solutions in New Haven, Conn. The world-wide aircraft maintenance market is worth an estimated $37 billion annually.

Although U.S. airlines have had a good safety record recently, with 34 deaths from crashes on scheduled commercial flights between 2002 and 2004, some experts worry that the shift of work to third parties could result in weaker regulatory scrutiny. Only supervisors at the outside repair stations -- not individual mechanics -- must be licensed by the FAA. At some shops, workers tend to be more transient and less well-trained than those employed by the airlines. Meanwhile the major U.S. airlines have been furloughing veteran mechanics.

Looks like the cancelled transcons freed up 1 bird to go LAS-ANC/PIT. We will find out soon if LAS-PIT goes from 1 to 3 cariers offering nonstops after SWA announces their PIT schedule. I can't believe that LAS-ANC had zero nonstops last year and now has 2 with 2 carriers, AS and HP. This LAS market is BOOMING!!

Did you really need to find a nearly 6 year old post in order to give one of your trademark responses?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.