American Airlines, CLT detail growth plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said AA doesn't fly it's own metal to LHR from BOS. Nor others European cities.

700UW said:
Like I said AA doesn't fly it's own metal to LHR from BOS. Nor others European cities.
Guess you don't understand how a JV works. British Airways operates the flight but AA jointly shares in the revenues and is involved in the capacity planning. The four daily LHR flights are currently operated by British Airways but that could change in the future. CDG is operated by AA metal seasonally.

DL metals operates BOS-AMS/CDD/LHR, formerly NW, UA, US, and TW flew transatlantic from BOS.

Josh

If it doesn't cost anything to have a crew base at a station why don't airlines have crew bases every where they fly

There is overhead associated with crew bases however once again no idea how it works

It's like having multiple fraud departments in many cities you have overhead on running each location - sorry that might have been to hard to follow for some

robbedagain said:
E  I did know AA had a large ops at BOS and JFK   Where did they stand at LGA before the merger....   EWR they were not that big were they?
Snapshotting from 2005:

Code:
AA	BOS	148
US	BOS	136

AA	LGA	142
US	LGA	243
AA	JFK	110
US	JFK	4
AA	EWR	47
US	EWR	20

AA	NYC	299
US	NYC	267

AA	PHL	37
US	PHL	531

AA	IAD	25
US	IAD	14
AA	DCA	65
US	DCA	209
That's just raw departures. If I were to apply seats available, AA's share would go up since they didn't operate nearly as many RJ's in those airports as US did.

As I said, historically, a huge presence and larger than US in NYC.

I won't disagree that there was some significant shrinking over the past few years, particularly while the JetBlue agreement was in place.

By May 2013, the numbers had shifted quite a bit:

NYC shrank down to 130 flights (39 @ JFK, 82 @ LGA, 9 @ EWR)
BOS came down to 23 flights
DCA was half its size, at 30 departures

robbedagain said:
E  I did know AA had a large ops at BOS and JFK   Where did they stand at LGA before the merger....   EWR they were not that big were they?  
Robbed, as pointed out, EWR had a very nice size operation there for AA just as ATL was a crew base for PI.  Neither of that matters now as BK's and Inter Office SweetHeart Deals between the Airlines has changed everything over the last 20 years.  EWR  at one point had over 150 flights daily for PI/AL at merger.  

Let me see if I have this straight....

Delta is the second largest airline in the world and has 75% of its fleet in ATL, so Delta fans think that the new largest airline in the world must also cram 75% of their fleet into one single hub in order to be successful, like Delta?  

Whoever said an airline needs to cram 75% of its fleet into one hub in order to ensure success?
ATL now constitutes about 40% of DL's revenues now. It is not a majority of DL's system any more than DFW is for AA.

Commavia's post is pretty accurate.

CLT is a powerful hub but it has a higher percentage of connecting passengers than nearly every hub and uses smaller aircraft on average which makes it hard to grow the hub.

CLT is viable but will be evaluated against other AA hubs for int'l flights and many of those hubs are in cities that have much larger local demand.

It just simply needs to be reiterated that CLT is half the size of ATL and considerably smaller than DFW. While CLT is one of the largest hubs in the US, it is not in the class of ATL or DFW and half the size of DL at ATL in terms of the number of passengers that are handled.

I would expect to see most Daily Carib flying from CLT transfer to MIA.  CLT will have it's place in the new American but I doubt it will remain the size it is today.  As far as ATL, CVG and DFW didnt survive as hubs for Delta as they saw the Value of ATL.  Curious, what is the Costs of Passengers enplaned at ATL?  

Hope777 said:
I would expect to see most Daily Carib flying from CLT transfer to MIA.  CLT will have it's place in the new American but I doubt it will remain the size it is today.  As far as ATL, CVG and DFW didnt survive as hubs for Delta as they saw the Value of ATL.  Curious, what is the Costs of Passengers enplaned at ATL?  
According to Fitch, in 2012, ATL had the second-lowest (second only to CLT)  cost per enplaned passenger total at $4.51 per:

http://wfae.org/post/philosophy-behind-charlotte-airports-success

robbedagain said:
hope I know bwi AA does not have their own FSAs either   I did not know it was like that up there in EWR
Robbed AA mainline FSC is the following 17 stations:

ATL
AUS
BOS
DCA
DFW
JFK
LAS
LAX
LGA
MCO
MIA
ORD
SAT
SFO
SJU
STL
TPA

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
ATL now constitutes about 40% of DL's revenues now. It is not a majority of DL's system any more than DFW is for AA.

Commavia's post is pretty accurate.

CLT is a powerful hub but it has a higher percentage of connecting passengers than nearly every hub and uses smaller aircraft on average which makes it hard to grow the hub.

CLT is viable but will be evaluated against other AA hubs for int'l flights and many of those hubs are in cities that have much larger local demand.

It just simply needs to be reiterated that CLT is half the size of ATL and considerably smaller than DFW. While CLT is one of the largest hubs in the US, it is not in the class of ATL or DFW and half the size of DL at ATL in terms of the number of passengers that are handled.
Lots of land available to expand in CLT. Delta is fortunate that they never built a second airport in ATL. 

Land is NOT the issue. The sìze of the market will determine success of any hub.
DEN has lots of land, three airlines still fighting it out, and likely an unprofitable hub for any.

DL doesn't hub at DFW because DL had less than 15% of the local market despite 250 flights. DL's local share now is not muchblower even though DL has 1/5 the flights

DTW killed CVG. DTW still has one of the highest ratios of 50 seaters of any DL hub but DTW also supports many more int'l and large markets.

there have been proposals to build a new separate south terminal at ATL but the costs are too high and DL doesn't want gates at that cost. Same will apply to CLT. At some point the benefit of more gates is not worth the cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back