American Airlines sees a few rays of hope on the labor front

CIO

Advanced
Aug 1, 2010
Sep 11, 2010 (Fort Worth Star-Telegram - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
This is the year analysts predicted that American Airlines would resolve its labor contract negotiations.

But with less than four months left, it doesn't look like the Fort Worth-based airline and its unions have made much progress. Its mechanics and store clerks rejected tentative agreements. Two other groups -- ground workers represented by the Transport Workers Union, as well as the Association of Professional Flight Attendants -- asked federal mediators to release them from negotiations last spring.

Go Here to read the complete article:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/amr_american-airlines-sees-a-few-rays-of-hope-on-the-labor-front-1162654.html#

<_< ------ Must be a slow news day in Texas! That article says absolutely nothing new that I can see!------- Now if you want to enlighten us on some news, why don't you just answer informer's question about the status of the 150+ grievances on outsourcing of those engines? Or doesn't the international want to talk about that?

Maybe we should have some t-shirts printed that say

"Where is my CFM56 Grievance?"

Then we can do a walk through, crowd around the grievance office.

The idea would be to not leave until they give an honest answer.

That seems to be the only way to communicate with these stooges.
Could be worth a try.

Then I bet I could get appointed to a International Staff position too. B)

Could be worth a try.

If John Orlando could strong arm his way into the International, I'm sure you could too.
He's now drawing dual pensions from AA and the TWU.

Sep 11, 2010 (Fort Worth Star-Telegram - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
This is the year analysts predicted that American Airlines would resolve its labor contract negotiations.

But with less than four months left, it doesn't look like the Fort Worth-based airline and its unions have made much progress. Its mechanics and store clerks rejected tentative agreements. Two other groups -- ground workers represented by the Transport Workers Union, as well as the Association of Professional Flight Attendants -- asked federal mediators to release them from negotiations last spring.

I find it interesting that the TWU is saying they are canvassing the members to find out why it was turned down. First of all, Are they that disconnected that they have not heard from the members what they need over the last 2 1/2 years? Who were the negotitaing committee representatives listening to? Obviously not their members judging by the vote! Speaking of canvassing, what stations were canvassed? I know of only Tulsa. My Local 562 voted the TA down by 95% and no one has asked my members. Tulsa had their survey within 24 hours of the vote. So are they really canvassing or just saying that to the press.

Could be worth a try.

Gee informer;

Why don’t you do that? Confront officers and stewards, go to meetings, and ask anything you like, and make them answer questions and deal with facts rather than just hand out propaganda. That was the sum total of the nefarious plan suggested to Sam (and never acted on) in the memo you’ve been wailing about. To have officers and stewards keep AMP organizers busy by challenging them with “facts you know” without being “confrontational or argumentative”. If AMP supporters disrupted a TWU meeting or confronted stewards handing out TWU literature by forcing them to deal with “facts they knew” you would be standing on your chair cheering, calling it a great day for democracy. AMP literature has been spread all over and two weeks ago it was handed out at the plant gates without any one getting in the way other than by asking questions. An organization that thinks this is a terrible threat has no right to claim that it will stand up to the Company.

As for the grievances over the CF56 engines you’ve been moaning about, it turns out they will be presented in arbitration sometime before the end of the year, possibly in October. How do I know? I went to a union meeting and asked.

You don’t get “facts” by reading propaganda sheets. You get them by going to meetings and getting answers to questions. You get them by reading contracts and articles by writers who have done actual research. Today I posted an article from the Fort Worth paper because I thought it showed all three unions had the same perspective on the Company, but I was also interested in seeing that the APA President was trying to restore
Cooperation with the Company. I just read an article called “Flying Blind” by James Lardner and Robert Kuttner ( Copy of Report ) which busts many of the myths of deregulation including that it helped consumers. They point out that ticket prices declined in real terms as much in the thirty years prior to deregulation as they did in the thirty years since. They also point out that airline employees have paid a terrible price for deregulation, a price which includes loss of 71% of heavy maintenance in the industry. Their view is that none of this will be changed until the industry is reregulated, something that will take a true coordinated effort.

In Solidarity
CIO

They also point out that airline employees have paid a terrible price for deregulation, a price which includes loss of 71% of heavy maintenance in the industry. Their view is that none of this will be changed until the industry is reregulated, something that will take a true coordinated effort.

In Solidarity
CIO

RE: Grievances CFM56

I think you are telling lies about the CFM56 Grievance or you have been lied to. I know more about the status than you think. I am just waiting for you to eat the Crow you deserve on this one.

RE: Deregulation

Really? Darn I was always hoping that your theory of millions in the bank, AFL-CIO Affiliation, Labor Councils across the Country, and so-called Labor Friendly Democratic controlling Congress and White Houes more than once since deregulation, that re-regulation was in the bank.

Fact is the AFL-CIO belief and yours also, that monetary involvement in Politcs is going to save us. Not True, the Rich out spend labor 11 to 1 in political contributions including to the democrats. Unlike labor the rich are friends of both parties and contribute nicely to the campaigns. Meanwhile, just as you do to AMP, organized labor demonizes the Republican's making them the enemy.

Maybe someday a real union leader will emerge that understands the AFL-CIO and current direction of Organized Labor needs to change. I would suggest forming a working man's party, take the paltry campaign contributions given to Democrats and start funding Bus Triips to the Capital. Think about France for a minute, what if Labor formed a third party and come one election year near November we all miss work for a few days and walk, bicycle, bus, horse ride, our asses to the Capital and show force in manpower instead pretending we can win a game of who has the most money against the rich. You want some press and changes? Try that instead status quo BS.

But what do I know? I am not on any committees!

Gee informer;

Why don’t you do that? Confront officers and stewards, go to meetings, and ask anything you like, and make them answer questions and deal with facts rather than just hand out propaganda. That was the sum total of the nefarious plan suggested to Sam (and never acted on) in the memo you’ve been wailing about. To have officers and stewards keep AMP BLAH BLAH BLAH with “facts you know” without being “confrontational or argumentative”. If AMP supporters disrupted BLAH BLAH BLAH out TWU literature by forcing them to deal with “facts they knew” you would be BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH a great day for democracy. AMP literature has been spread all over and two weeks ago it was handed out at the plant gates without any one getting in the way other than by asking BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH is a terrible threat has no right to claim that it will stand up to the Company.

As for the grievances over the CF56 engines you’ve been moaning about, it turns out BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH sometime before the end of the year, possibly in October. How do I know? I went to a union meeting and asked.

You don’t get “facts” by reading propaganda sheets. You get them by going to BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH = questions. You get them by reading contracts and articles by writers who have done actual research. Today I posted an article from the Fort Worth paper because I thought it showed all three unions had the same perspective on the Company, but I was also interested in seeing that the APA President was trying to restore
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH I just read an article called “Flying Blind” by James Lardner and Robert Kuttner ( Copy of Report ) which busts many of the myths of deregulation including that it helped consumers. They point out that ticket BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHprices declined in real terms as much in the thirty years prior to deregulation as they did in the thirty years since. They also point out that airline employees have paid a terrible price for deregulation, a price which includes loss of 71% of heavy maintenance in the industry. Their view is that none of this will be changed until the industry is reregulated, something that will take a true coordinated effort. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In Solidarity
CIO

I just read an article called “Flying Blind” by James Lardner and Robert Kuttner ( Copy of Report ) which busts many of the myths of deregulation including that it helped consumers. They point out that ticket prices declined in real terms as much in the thirty years prior to deregulation as they did in the thirty years since. They also point out that airline employees have paid a terrible price for deregulation, a price which includes loss of 71% of heavy maintenance in the industry. Their view is that none of this will be changed until the industry is reregulated, something that will take a true coordinated effort.

Did you also read the part on Page Two where they say "This report was made possible by the support of The Nathan Cummings Foundation, The Panta Rhea Foundation, The Public Welfare Foundation, the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA and the Association of Professional Flight Attendants.

Neither of the two authors have any experience in economics, however both have written for liberal media outlets, and two of the three other funding sources seem to be heavily involved in social policy reform. Interestingly, the third funding source has been quite involved in pushing social issues for both "undocumented" and migrant farm workers.

I'm sure that the ATA could help fund a report showing the exact opposite conclusion.

Did you also read the part on Page Two where they say "This report was made possible by the support of The Nathan Cummings Foundation, The Panta Rhea Foundation, The Public Welfare Foundation, the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA and the Association of Professional Flight Attendants.

Neither of the two authors have any experience in economics, however both have written for liberal media outlets, and two of the three other funding sources seem to be heavily involved in social policy reform. Interestingly, the third funding source has been quite involved in pushing social issues for both "undocumented" and migrant farm workers.

I'm sure that the ATA could help fund a report showing the exact opposite conclusion.
We've seen plenty of those already. Who funds Fox and CNN, CNBC etc? Corporate America!

Latest posts

Back