American Sniper

delldude said:

Explain how your draft number got perilously close to the top.

Jesus  dell, that was easy.
A couple of high school class mates, one 2 months older, the other 6 weeks older had just got drafted into the Army.  And that was pretty much the pace that was happening at the time. In other words guys a couple of months older than my friends were 'drafted' in almost a carbon copy manner. Lets face it. Eighteen year old guys aren't paying too much attention to politics at the time. I know two guys who should have, because they got thier 'Ticket punched near saigon' .
Me, I got assaigned a ship out of ORF, and jammed into a friends car with 5 other guys to go home to BOS dam near every weekend, even that meant only being in Beantown for (tops) 36 hours !

Bottom line,
1. I SERVED and fulfilled my obligation  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. I ENLISTED
and
3. (even back then) I paid a little attention to the Nightly News !

( HELLL, I even made (pay grade) E-5 in two years) !
(BEARS are wise you know. Thats why they sleep and stay warm all Winter, while all the other animals are FREEZING thier ASS's OFF)!

NewHampshire Black Bears said:

Jesus  dell, that was easy.
A couple of high school class mates, one 2 months older, the other 6 weeks older had just got drafted into the Army.  And that was pretty much the pace that was happening at the time. In other words guys a couple of months older than my friends were 'drafted' in almost a carbon copy manner. Lets face it. Eighteen year old guys aren't paying too much attention to politics at the time. I know two guys who should have, because they got thier 'Ticket punched near saigon' .
Me, I got assaigned a ship out of ORF, and jammed into a friends car with 5 other guys to go home to BOS dam near every weekend, even that meant only being in Beantown for (tops) 36 hours !

Bottom line,
1. I SERVED and fulfilled my obligation  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. I ENLISTED
and
3. (even back then) I paid a little attention to the Nightly News !

( HELLL, I even made (pay grade) E-5 in two years) !
(BEARS are wise you know. Thats why they sleep and stay warm all Winter, while all the other animals are FREEZING thier ASS's OFF)!

You got a low number pulled in the lottery?

No one is 'obligated' unless they are drafted or sign on the dotted line.

delldude said:

You got a low number pulled in the lottery?

No one is 'obligated' unless they are drafted or sign on the dotted line.

Not sure what you mean by a ...."low # pulled" ...in the lottery ?   I always thought that a "High # " meant that your chances of being drafted was HIGH !  But either way, I never looked or tried to manipulate 'What ever will be ". Never applied for an 'educational DEFERMENT or the Peace Corps Etc.  I chose a Legitimate way to serve in the US armed forces, NOT waiting around for some letter to arrive TELLING me to report to some Shitt-Hole base in Georgia or South Carolina !!!

As for obligation, I guess I was 'obligated' to report to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Waukeegan IL. , since I signed on the 'dotted line' (which of course I Did / I Did !

Not sure what you mean by a ...."low # pulled" ...in the lottery ?   I always thought that a "High # " meant that your chances of being drafted was HIGH !  But either way, I never looked or tried to manipulate 'What ever will be ". Never applied for an 'educational DEFERMENT or the Peace Corps Etc.  I chose a Legitimate way to serve in the US armed forces, NOT waiting around for some letter to arrive TELLING me to report to some Shitt-Hole base in Georgia or South Carolina !!!

As for obligation, I guess I was 'obligated' to report to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Waukeegan IL. , since I signed on the 'dotted line' (which of course I Did / I Did !

They picked 365 calendar dates in random order and anyone born on those dates were up for draft in the order picked. On each calendar date picked there also was a set of 26 letters picked in random order for each date that were also assigned a number from 1-26 which represented the first letter of your last name and thats how the draft worked. You could have your birthday come up number 1 and the alphabetical order for the first letter of your last name be 26. Then of all the people drafted with a birthday picked and assigned no.1, your last name is the 26th picked in the 'first round' so to speak.

Low number to high in sequential order.

So, instead of being drafted and actually having your boots on the ground, you enlisted as a cook in the Navy, got it......Bigot!

I chose a Legitimate way to serve in the US armed forces, NOT waiting around for some letter to arrive TELLING me to report to some Shitt-Hole base in Georgia or South Carolina !!!
In other words, you did the Bear Minimum to avoid being arrested or getting a dishonorable discharge, right?...

southwind said:
So, instead of being drafted and actually having your boots on the ground, you enlisted as a cook in the Navy, got it......Bigot!

eolesen said:
In other words, you did the Bear Minimum to avoid being arrested or getting a dishonorable discharge, right?...
And you two did what again? Amazes me that you two have the nerve to rag on Bear about his service. He's got plenty of stupid crap to pile on about. This sure as hell is not one of them.

NICE TRY Eric.
But I KNOW, YOU know better than your tounge-in-cheek post  !!!!!!!!!!
Well, it's how your career at AA and Amtrak went, no?... I just figured you started young.

NICE TRY Eric.
But I KNOW, YOU know better than your tounge-in-cheek post  !!!!!!!!!!
You were a deck swabber in the Navy and never touched dry land 'til you got out!

Latest posts

Back