American to keep Eagle's 2 billion plus debt

There was another little "thing" in that the execs wouldn't be receiving their typical failure bonuses of years past unless they could show the court a viable employment offer from another company - the court would then weigh the need of keeping the "management team" together.

Retention bonuses come under the scrutiny you described, but I don't see where the existing variable comp plans like the PSP/PUP would be affected, although if AMR's stock were wiped out, the plans would in effect be nullified for at least the three years it would take to rebuild a history...

How are there 106 airports where Eagle would be in a position to do ground handling?...

Places like PDX where Eagle does ZERO flying, yet works the ramp for AA. It was weird/surreal the first time I saw them.

How are there 106 airports where Eagle would be in a position to do ground handling?...

Eagle ASM Cap

"American would like the flexibility to increase its number of regional ASMs to optimize our network. The company proposes modifying the cap from 6% to 12%."

One of the sticking points in our negotiations.

Maybe, but that number still seems really high. Last time I looked, there were only about 20-25 stations outsourced below the wing, and there are only another 20 between 8 and 15 departures. That's a total of about 40-45 stations total, nowhere near 106.

http://airlineforums.com/index.php?showtopic=50568&view=findpost&p=791095

Perhaps the grand plan includes having Eagle do all the ground handling for AA in the future.

Maybe, but that number still seems really high. Last time I looked, there were only about 20-25 stations outsourced below the wing, and there are only another 20 between 8 and 15 departures. That's a total of about 40-45 stations total, nowhere near 106.

You wouldn't be insinuating that AA lied on the Form 10 are you? AA never lies about AAnything!

Management Reiterates Proposal for Commuter Air Carrier Scope Relief
Last week, APA's Negotiating Update relayed management's desire for continued scope relief with their commuter carrier operations. The negotiating update disclosed that management reiterated their long-standing proposal of increasing the passenger seat limit on jets flown by commuter carriers like Eagle. Management proposed that commuter carriers be allowed to fly up to 76-seat jet aircraft. Not only is this proposed increase in seat count important but so is the accompanying increase in maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) of these aircraft. To date, management is proposing to increase the current MTOW of 64,500 pounds* up to a MTOW of 89,000 pounds.

This increase in passenger seat count and MTOW would allow for an increase in CRJ-700 series aircraft count and open the doors to current aircraft like the CRJ-900 and Embraer 170 series aircraft (pictured below).

The APA Negotiating Update characterized the discussions as "tense and occasionally heated," noting that "negotiations on Section One (Scope) of our contract will likely be the most contentious aspect of this negotiation." This is to be expected when you consider that since 2003, AA mainline domestic block hours flown have decreased 28 percent while Eagle's domestic block hours flown have increased 30 percent.

*MTOW does not include the CRJ-700 exception granted in Dec 2003, Letter of Agreement SS.

I thought Crandall's vision of A/A doing transcon and international and Eagle (and the other regional affiliates) doing domestic was dead.

Maybe not.

Retention bonuses come under the scrutiny you described, but I don't see where the existing variable comp plans like the PSP/PUP would be affected, although if AMR's stock were wiped out, the plans would in effect be nullified for at least the three years it would take to rebuild a history...

I think you were making reference to another's post re: the "106 airports" - don't know about that.

The retention bonuses would be out as I can't see anyone with the slightest amount of common sense hiring any part of a failed management "team". The Centrepork boys have been all over the business pages as being somewhat less than stellar in their performance and even the "Good Ol' Boy Club" is beginning to wake up and understand the damage a fool or group thereof can do to their companies.

Examine a hypothetical timetable, Mr E. In three months (or so), stock can be issued in the new Eaglet formed by the "spin-off". A goodly amount of that will be passed by the board to the executives for their part in a performance near and below the call of duty. This stock will immediately be sold (as done with the PUPs) for a bonus and that starts a clock ticking - the clock that says any awards given within a 90 day period (it may be a 180 day period) prior to a Chapter 11 filing must be returned to the court.

At any rate, once their booty is secure and all value possible (without the possibility of a give-back) has been had by the Centrepork infestation, I believe they'll file for Chapter 11 protection unless a way has been found for BA to snap up a great deal of the AA routes and other assets without running afoul of the 25% law, in which case a Chapter 7 filing may find its way to the table. That would be an interesting test of the 25% rule as it could be shown jobs would be saved if an exception were granted, especially in the present economic climate of the USA. While Horton didn't say what I did, he made no bones about wanting to merge with BA.

I say a one-time exception as that, if granted, would effectively bar other carriers from pulling the same stunt while saving American jobs - something the O'Bummer administration needs to show in the worst way.

Perhaps far fetched, perhaps not. Crazier things have already happened from an administration that's shown it's not very pleased with the prospect of following laws and the Constitution.

Just an OPINION. What's yours, E?

My professional opinion is that nobody should expect this administration or Congress to consider a "Hail Mary" pass for AMR like they gave to GM or Chrysler. Agreeing to a one time exception to the 25% cap would be such an action...

It's for the same reason I put the chances of a PEB at only 30% should there be a strike -- AA simply isn't the biggest airline on the block, and enough viable competitors around to fill the void.

Now.... that said....

If you remember back about 18 months, the last US-EU Open Skies agreement was reached, and the EU got language inserted which said they'd raise foreign ownership to 49.9% (without further ratification required) when the US did so. Some people read that wrong, and the US quickly clarified that there had been no change, and that it would take an act of Congress to change ownership limits. (http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/10/371&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en)

Thanks to the Tea Party "radicals", Congress is being forced to actually come up with a FAA funding bill, and not simply kick the can down the road by extending the last one.

So... I wouldn't put it past Congress to bring the 25% cap into consideration. There are a couple of US airlines who could benefit from it, and there may even be some European airlines who might benefit from US money.

SEC Form 10 filing to be submitted today. Details include:

* Eagle generated $1.2B in 2010 revenue, including $250M from ground handling
* Eagle would operate 281 aircraft for AMR under a 9-year capacity purchase agreement
* AMR would competitively re-bid up to 12 prop aircraft beginning in 2012, and up to 40 jets beginning in 2014
* Agreement provides for rate re-set after four years to account for any market changes
* Under an additional 8-year agreement, Eagle would provide ground handling for AMR at 106 airports
* AMR would have the right to competitively re-bid a specified number of ground handled stations each year
* All of Eagle's jets (and the associated debt) would pass to AMR ownership before the spin-off
* Spin-off does not require AMR shareholder approval

Thanks for copying my notes! :)

No word as to what kind of soap and shampoo Garton prefers for his late night fountain baths, I see ...

That's funny - I always had heard it was a house party in Miami, not a fountain. Hmmm ...

I took that to mean that basically Eagle will perform ground handling at 106 airports under the 'American' brand - either ground-handling AA itself, or ground-handling Eagle's own 'American Eagle'-branded operations. I think (though could be wrong) that is how they got to that 106 number.

Management Reiterates Proposal for Commuter Air Carrier Scope Relief
Last week, APA's Negotiating Update relayed management's desire for continued scope relief with their commuter carrier operations. The negotiating update disclosed that management reiterated their long-standing proposal of increasing the passenger seat limit on jets flown by commuter carriers like Eagle. Management proposed that commuter carriers be allowed to fly up to 76-seat jet aircraft. Not only is this proposed increase in seat count important but so is the accompanying increase in maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) of these aircraft. To date, management is proposing to increase the current MTOW of 64,500 pounds* up to a MTOW of 89,000 pounds.

This increase in passenger seat count and MTOW would allow for an increase in CRJ-700 series aircraft count and open the doors to current aircraft like the CRJ-900 and Embraer 170 series aircraft (pictured below).

The APA Negotiating Update characterized the discussions as "tense and occasionally heated," noting that "negotiations on Section One (Scope) of our contract will likely be the most contentious aspect of this negotiation." This is to be expected when you consider that since 2003, AA mainline domestic block hours flown have decreased 28 percent while Eagle's domestic block hours flown have increased 30 percent.

*MTOW does not include the CRJ-700 exception granted in Dec 2003, Letter of Agreement SS.

I thought Crandall's vision of A/A doing transcon and international and Eagle (and the other regional affiliates) doing domestic was dead.

Maybe not.

Like so many things - unfortunately - between AA and its unions, this is the definition of moral hazard. When your two largest competitor pilot groups have both agreed - or had forced upon them - a substantial relaxation of SCOPE, AA is now at a competitive disadvantage with its current SCOPE clause. Look at the Delta and United systems - and look at how much of their system ASMs are generated by their regional operators - in both cases, I believe it is more than double the percentage as what Eagle/Connection operate for AA. This is critical, of course, since AA is increasingly finding itself competing not against United or Delta, but against the United- or Delta-branded RJs being flown by SkyWest, Shuttle America, etc. (ORD-LGA being the classic example).

As I've said numerous times here and elsewhere, I don't think even the most militant, anti-company, Arpey-hating unionist here would dispute that, all else being equal, AA mainline costs, in a variety of areas, will never be as low as SkyWest or Aeroman. As such, again - it is the classic example of moral hazard: Delta and United (and other airlines, of course) have derived huge savings from outsourcing more and more of their flying to regional operators, outsourcing overhauls to El Salvador/China/Korea, etc., and thus AA - which hasn't done those things, or not done them to the same extent - is now at a competitive disadvantage.

Unfortunate, but reality.

I thought Crandall's vision of A/A doing transcon and international and Eagle (and the other regional affiliates) doing domestic was dead. Maybe not.

Scope has become the number 1 issue for the pilot group. Who cares about pay if you no longer have a job to work for said pay?

The company negotiators came un-glued at the table this past week when our negotiators didn't budge an inch on scope. I hope they are getting the message, but I doubt it.

I have talked to even the biggest company Kool-Aid drinkers on the line and even they are ready to burn this place to the ground over scope. AA could offer us the highest pay industry pay in the world and I would vote no if there was even 1 concession granted in the scope language. I am tired of sliding backwards.

Scope has become the number 1 issue for the pilot group. Who cares about pay if you no longer have a job to work for said pay?

The company negotiators came un-glued at the table this past week when our negotiators didn't budge an inch on scope. I hope they are getting the message, but I doubt it.

I have talked to even the biggest company Kool-Aid drinkers on the line and even they are ready to burn this place to the ground over scope. AA could offer us the highest pay industry pay in the world and I would vote no if there was even 1 concession granted in the scope language. I am tired of sliding backwards.

Nothing a trip to the bankruptcy court can't fix!

I'm pretty certain that given a choice between pay, pensions, and scope, scope is not the most important issue...

Guys who thump their chests and say they'll burn the place down are just as likely to vote yes when behind the proverbial curtain.

I'm pretty certain that given a choice between pay, pensions, and scope, scope is not the most important issue...

Really.

So what have you been hearing out while flying the line?

When you looked at the pilot poll from the Wilson center, what were the results?

I guess you are more in touch with the pilot group than I am. Maybe our #1 issue is the quality of crew meals.