AMFA Organizing Drive to Replace Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must not work for American. The only thing that matters here is. I Got Mines and CS. These people don’t know what a union is. Even if we get a vote. I will be surprised if 1/4 of the people even vote. How does the vote work. Is it the majority of who votes or the majority of all the people here.
Take the time to read the NMB manual. Get educated please. All your answers related to filings and voting process will be right in front of you. Happy reading.

1/4 of the people even vote.
You must not work for American. The only thing that matters here is. I Got Mines and CS. These people don’t know what a union is. Even if we get a vote. I will be surprised if 1/4 of the people even vote. How does the vote work. Is it the majority of who votes or the majority of all the people here.
If only 1/4 of the people vote, that most likely mean's a win for AMFA.

Then don't. Keep your language as is. The membership will have their say so over what IS and IS NOT nego for at the table when AMFA is the representational entity.
There will be no deal making behind closed doors any longer. Everything will be fully transparent and you guys will know exactly what is passed back and forth across the table to each side. by the "observers" as well as the way AMFA leadership will update the membership with live updates thru-out nego's will keep the company on their toes as they too will see the membership being updated to each and everything the company passes across that table to the union and vise-versa. The games your company use to play will come to a quick halt when it's revealed what they offer to the folks on the floor, instead of swearing the nego team to complete secrecy, AMFA won't do it, period.

Lead in pay was not lost, but yes, delayed. Dragging out nego's is practically imposible to stop with the regulations we have to follow in nego's. However, our membership stayed strong and united and prevailed the waiting game in the end with full back pay, retro, and bonuses that exceeded all original numbers that the union membership was willing to accept. In other words they (co) paid for playing their little games in the long run.
Also remember please that all the outsourcing at our airline has been the %'s they are since day one when the IAM was here and started the first contract here, then the teamsters took over from them and even made it worse than the IAM. Now with AMFA, sure the %'s are approx the same but, at least AMFA is the only representational entity that has steadily increased in house heavy maint (more than doubled that), increased back shops work, line ron, hgr ron, and over night maint. etc... And more than doubled the headcount since AMFA first took over.
Our airline and your airline cannot be compared to when it comes to headcount. 2 total different ran and styled companies with very, very different fleets and sizes.

What is the all in hourly pay at SWA, I know years back SWA made almost $10 an hour more than UAL and AA. I believe the hourly pay is about the same now, that's what I mean when I say SWA lost the lead they had.

50% plus 1 of the votes cast.

National Director’s Monthly Update for April 2021

AMFA is a firm believer in keeping transparency with our union members and we respect employee choice in selecting a one craft-one union. To that extent, we are confident the American Airlines (AA) Mechanics and Related (M&R) will soon be granted their rightful opportunity to choose their own representation. On April 22, 2021, AMFA responded to the American Airlines’ Response, dated April 2, 2021, and the TWU/IAM Association’s Response, dated April 2, 2021, to Challenges and Objections to the Proposed Eligibility List of AA. AMFA opposes the proposed inclusion of the overwhelming number of individuals (2,000) sought to be incorrectly added to the AA Eligibility List. Indeed, this continued effort by the TWU/IAM is another example of how desperate they are to keep AA M&R from voicing their will. AMFA’s filing had an abundance of exhibits containing the substantive evidence needed to disprove the TWU/IAM’s numerous frivolous requests.

Here are several objections AMFA reiterates and reasserts:

• All of the 135 Flight Simulator Engineers should be excluded;
  • The 397 individuals who have irrevocably resigned from AA VEOP agreements should be excluded;
  • AA asserts that “not all 471 of the employees furloughed from AFW and TAESL identified by the TWU/IAM Association in its Challenges and Objections actually retain recall rights;”
  • Exclusion from the AA List of all of the 293 or 294 Fleet Service Employees sought added by the TWU/IAM, who are not at all performing M&R work and therefore cannot satisfy any preponderance determination;
  • The 233 individuals, or however many the Investigator determines there are, who have elected a VEOP and have irrevocably resigned from American and who are not eligible to be rehired, reemployed or reinstated by American, and who agree to be permanently separated from employment with the Company;
  • Additionally, on a moral and ethical question, the TWU/IAM actually has the temerity to argue for including as eligible voters who are deceased because some of the deceased individuals died after the cutoff date. Of course, the TWU/IAM reveals its true purpose in trying to prevent the NMB election for the M&R Employees or it would not be making such a blatantly absurd argument. Regrettably, AMFA requests that the thirteen (13) deceased individuals be removed from the list.

AMFA also addressed “IAM Poison Pill” in our initial Position Statement and Continuing Interference of the RLA’s Laboratory Conditions, dated November 30, 2020, where AMFA raised the issue regarding the new M&R Employees Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) language adopted and later ratified in March 2020 in Article 29 – Benefits, Section K. which per se violates the Carrier’s legal obligation of neutrality in expressly stating the following:

K. In the event the TWU/IAM Association or the IAM should lose representation rights for a specific employee group through a representation election conducted by the National Mediation Board (“NMB”), the Company shall immediately have the right to eliminate, alter, modify, or merge with an existing plan, the Legacy US Airways Medical Plan provided under this Agreement for the specific employee group whose representation has changed.

AMFA reiterates that this CBA provision was intended to impede AMFA both in its efforts to collect authorization cards but also to adversely affect AMFA’s chances in an NMB election with certain employees who stand to lose certain health benefits should the TWU/IAM Association lose its representation rights to AMFA for the M&R at American Airlines.

AMFA has requested that either the Investigator or the NMB direct American Airlines to take corrective action to undo and remedy its prior and continuing interference with the "laboratory conditions" required under the RLA in violation of Section 2 Third, Section 2 Fourth, and Section 2 Ninth of the RLA, or alternatively, that the Carrier take corrective action on its own initiative to undo and remedy its prior and continuing interference with the "laboratory conditions" required under the RLA by affirmatively stating in writing to the NMB that it now intends to remain neutral in this representation dispute and therefore will not enforce any language in the CBA in Article 29 – Benefits, Section K, to the detriment or loss of benefits of any employee in this craft or class resulting from any change in representation in this NMB case. For further updates and information, please visit AMFA at American Airlines page of the AMFA National website.

As the only craft-specific labor group in the U.S., AMFA strives to ensure the technician’s voice is heard at the highest levels of government and industry. We accomplish this by participating in the advisory committees of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Department of Transportation (DOT) and Transportation Security Agency (TSA), where stakeholders gather to discuss and advise regulators on the most important issues facing aviation. Please monitor the Legislative Updates page of the AMFA National website for more details.

Reminder: the FAA Hotline reporting system may be utilized to report concerns of aviation safety: https://hotline.faa.gov/. We must realize our grave responsibility as FAA certified airman to exercise our judgement on the airworthiness of aircraft and equipment. We, therefore, pledge unyielding adherence to these precepts for the advancement of public safety of aviation and for the dignity for our craft.

As always, I ask you to please be safe while being vigilant and to stay engaged with your union and officers. Please monitor your respective carrier page of the AMFA National website for further airline specific details: Alaska Airlines Updates, Horizon Air Updates, Southwest Airlines Updates. Additionally, I encourage you for more carrier specific updates and further information regarding AMFA and the airline industry, please visit the AMFA National Website at www.amfanational.org. Our most determined efforts will only succeed with your support and participation – please stay engaged and informed.

Sincerely,

Bret Oestreich
National Director

Attachments

• 20210505_ND_Monthly_Update_Oestreich.pdf
    794.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Reactions: swamt
No wonder no one stays on this site. If this is how AMFA people act. I will stay with the sorry IAM/TWU. Wow
Look at that you will actually get a vote to voice your opinion! Feel free to express it! Actually i encourage you and all members to vote. Unfortunately most will not.

Reactions: swamt
50% plus one

What is the all in hourly pay at SWA, I know years back SWA made almost $10 an hour more than UAL and AA. I believe the hourly pay is about the same now, that's what I mean when I say SWA lost the lead they had.
I see. Yes use to be around $10, but much closer now that the airlines have new contracts.
SWA's all in rates are currently at 56.51, at end of this contract will be 61.15 I believe by 2023.
I'm not sure of AA's current all in rate so I don't know the current difference probably closer to $3-$5.
The new guy (not so new anymore) from ALK who stepped in to get our contract done, said he will strongly look at doing a simple extension next time to avoid what took place with the last contract. he was not happy at all with how certain leaders were trying to handle the last one.
As long as SWA is still doing well and profitable at the time of new contract, I'm pretty sure they will offer some kind of extension with cola raises wrapped into it. typically it's been 3% in past extensions.

What's AA's current and end of contract all in rates???
Here's a link to contract. Article 15 is the wage scales, and the wage rules and premiums are right before and after the wage charts.
Hope this works:

National Director’s Monthly Update for April 2021

AMFA is a firm believer in keeping transparency with our union members and we respect employee choice in selecting a one craft-one union. To that extent, we are confident the American Airlines (AA) Mechanics and Related (M&R) will soon be granted their rightful opportunity to choose their own representation. On April 22, 2021, AMFA responded to the American Airlines’ Response, dated April 2, 2021, and the TWU/IAM Association’s Response, dated April 2, 2021, to Challenges and Objections to the Proposed Eligibility List of AA. AMFA opposes the proposed inclusion of the overwhelming number of individuals (2,000) sought to be incorrectly added to the AA Eligibility List. Indeed, this continued effort by the TWU/IAM is another example of how desperate they are to keep AA M&R from voicing their will. AMFA’s filing had an abundance of exhibits containing the substantive evidence needed to disprove the TWU/IAM’s numerous frivolous requests.

Here are several objections AMFA reiterates and reasserts:

• All of the 135 Flight Simulator Engineers should be excluded;
  • The 397 individuals who have irrevocably resigned from AA VEOP agreements should be excluded;
  • AA asserts that “not all 471 of the employees furloughed from AFW and TAESL identified by the TWU/IAM Association in its Challenges and Objections actually retain recall rights;”
  • Exclusion from the AA List of all of the 293 or 294 Fleet Service Employees sought added by the TWU/IAM, who are not at all performing M&R work and therefore cannot satisfy any preponderance determination;
  • The 233 individuals, or however many the Investigator determines there are, who have elected a VEOP and have irrevocably resigned from American and who are not eligible to be rehired, reemployed or reinstated by American, and who agree to be permanently separated from employment with the Company;
  • Additionally, on a moral and ethical question, the TWU/IAM actually has the temerity to argue for including as eligible voters who are deceased because some of the deceased individuals died after the cutoff date. Of course, the TWU/IAM reveals its true purpose in trying to prevent the NMB election for the M&R Employees or it would not be making such a blatantly absurd argument. Regrettably, AMFA requests that the thirteen (13) deceased individuals be removed from the list.

AMFA also addressed “IAM Poison Pill” in our initial Position Statement and Continuing Interference of the RLA’s Laboratory Conditions, dated November 30, 2020, where AMFA raised the issue regarding the new M&R Employees Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) language adopted and later ratified in March 2020 in Article 29 – Benefits, Section K. which per se violates the Carrier’s legal obligation of neutrality in expressly stating the following:

K. In the event the TWU/IAM Association or the IAM should lose representation rights for a specific employee group through a representation election conducted by the National Mediation Board (“NMB”), the Company shall immediately have the right to eliminate, alter, modify, or merge with an existing plan, the Legacy US Airways Medical Plan provided under this Agreement for the specific employee group whose representation has changed.

AMFA reiterates that this CBA provision was intended to impede AMFA both in its efforts to collect authorization cards but also to adversely affect AMFA’s chances in an NMB election with certain employees who stand to lose certain health benefits should the TWU/IAM Association lose its representation rights to AMFA for the M&R at American Airlines.

AMFA has requested that either the Investigator or the NMB direct American Airlines to take corrective action to undo and remedy its prior and continuing interference with the "laboratory conditions" required under the RLA in violation of Section 2 Third, Section 2 Fourth, and Section 2 Ninth of the RLA, or alternatively, that the Carrier take corrective action on its own initiative to undo and remedy its prior and continuing interference with the "laboratory conditions" required under the RLA by affirmatively stating in writing to the NMB that it now intends to remain neutral in this representation dispute and therefore will not enforce any language in the CBA in Article 29 – Benefits, Section K, to the detriment or loss of benefits of any employee in this craft or class resulting from any change in representation in this NMB case. For further updates and information, please visit AMFA at American Airlines page of the AMFA National website.

As the only craft-specific labor group in the U.S., AMFA strives to ensure the technician’s voice is heard at the highest levels of government and industry. We accomplish this by participating in the advisory committees of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Department of Transportation (DOT) and Transportation Security Agency (TSA), where stakeholders gather to discuss and advise regulators on the most important issues facing aviation. Please monitor the Legislative Updates page of the AMFA National website for more details.

Reminder: the FAA Hotline reporting system may be utilized to report concerns of aviation safety: https://hotline.faa.gov/. We must realize our grave responsibility as FAA certified airman to exercise our judgement on the airworthiness of aircraft and equipment. We, therefore, pledge unyielding adherence to these precepts for the advancement of public safety of aviation and for the dignity for our craft.

As always, I ask you to please be safe while being vigilant and to stay engaged with your union and officers. Please monitor your respective carrier page of the AMFA National website for further airline specific details: Alaska Airlines Updates, Horizon Air Updates, Southwest Airlines Updates. Additionally, I encourage you for more carrier specific updates and further information regarding AMFA and the airline industry, please visit the AMFA National Website at www.amfanational.org. Our most determined efforts will only succeed with your support and participation – please stay engaged and informed.

Sincerely,

Bret Oestreich
National Director
Am I reading this correctly?

I believe I read where AA (the company) is now going to remain neutral in a representational election and NOT change any benefits or contract language should AMFA prevail in an election?
I do remember AMFA Legal asking for the NMB to assist in stopping AA from intimidation and stuff, but I didn't remember seeing anything from the co. back then, but, I might have missed it too.
You gotta hand it to Bret. He has always written letters well, very well.

I am a new employee at American and recently joined this forum. I heard about an upcoming vote for a union. Are the mechanics unionized at this time?

• Haha
Reactions: Rogallo
I see. Yes use to be around $10, but much closer now that the airlines have new contracts.
SWA's all in rates are currently at 56.51, at end of this contract will be 61.15 I believe by 2023.
I'm not sure of AA's current all in rate so I don't know the current difference probably closer to $3-$5.
The new guy (not so new anymore) from ALK who stepped in to get our contract done, said he will strongly look at doing a simple extension next time to avoid what took place with the last contract. he was not happy at all with how certain leaders were trying to handle the last one.
As long as SWA is still doing well and profitable at the time of new contract, I'm pretty sure they will offer some kind of extension with cola raises wrapped into it. typically it's been 3% in past extensions.

What's AA's current and end of contract all in rates???
Here's a link to contract. Article 15 is the wage scales, and the wage rules and premiums are right before and after the wage charts.
Hope this works:

The current rate for an AA AMT is:
$57.01

Break down:
$50.18 base
$1.00 line
$5.25 license
$0.58 night shift

Status
Not open for further replies.