An Open Letter to AMR CEO Tom Horton

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Yesterday I was deeply saddened to watch a YouTube video created by an American Airlines' mechanic who is a dedicated/passionate employee. This video broke my heart and was painful to watch. There are internet reports this man was a LAS mechanic who has been suspended with pay.

Click on the link below to watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hQ4eaohzQ

What pains me is what is needlessly occurring at American Airlines. This once great company is going through a very painful restructuring that we know all too well. Employees have committed suicide, been divorced, lost their families, lost their homes and have struggled following 9/11 during airline bankruptcies.

Today, Doug Parker and his management team have identified a corporate transaction that will benefit every US Airways and American Airlines' shareholder: Creditors, Shareholders, Customers, and Employees alike.

I agree with APFA President Laura Glading. Glading said, "US Airways senior management team, along with nearly every single airline analyst, understand the problems at American are systemic. Consolidation is necessary for AA and US Airways to expect to compete with the network carriers. Our company has serious issues, but its workforce is not one."

"The improved network and the synergies provided by a merger between US Airways and American will provide savings and new revenue to help turn this company around. It will allow us all to move forward with fresh team of executives with a viable business plan and a commitment to fair dealing. We have all seen enough of American’s way of doing business. It is time for a wholesale change," Glading noted.

Glading continued, “As we have read in the media for weeks, a handful of American’s executives are the only people in the industry delusional enough to believe that this airline can emerge from bankruptcy and thrive as a standalone company. A merger with US Airways is not only the most viable plan for American Airlines, it is the only viable plan. Combining our two companies will not only save jobs, salaries and benefits, but strengthen our industry, provide an attractive option to passengers and return American Airlines to a position of prominence."

It appears to me the only people who are not supporting the merger are Tom Horton and a few of his executives as described by Laura Glading. Mr. Horton, I believe you are a good man with honorable intentions. However, I believe Doug Parker has a compelling plan that you need to endorse because there is too much at stake and too much pain in your draft POR. There are hundreds of thousands of people who will be affected by your decision(s). Not only AMR’s direct stakeholders, but the spouses and children of both American Airlines and US Airways’ families...who deserve better.

I believe the right thing to do is for you to endorse Doug Parker’s merger plan so hundreds of thousands of people can join hands together to return American Airlines to its once proud position as the world’s greatest airline.

I hope that this letter finds its way to pass across your desk, that you carefully consider what is happening, and that you endorse the majority of your company employee's desire to merge with US Airways.

Reactions: 5 people
Yesterday I was deeply saddened to watch a YouTube video created by an American Airlines' mechanic who is a dedicated/passionate employee. This video broke my heart and was painful to watch..

Spare us all your crocodile tears. You couldn't care less about any AA or US employee other than the one you see in the mirror.

There seems to be no low you will not stoop to, no situation you won't spin, no one's pain or angst you won't exploit to suit your own personal agenda.

Your history of undermining unions at US, including ALPA until they saved your bacon and got your job back, your attacks on the IAM and AFA, hardly qualify you as any "man of the people" to speak for any employees of any airline.

I've read your garbage for over ten years. Your posts continue to amaze and disgust.

Reactions: 13 people
Its all ready being discussed on the AA thread, doesnt belong here.

And he was walked out off the job too.

Dont forget he bashed the CWA too.

Reactions: 1 person
There are a lot of pilots at US East whose only real hope to raise their pay above $125/hr (narrowbody) and $160/hr (widebody) is the AA pilot contract even after the 1113 terms are imposed. A merger with AA is their saviour - a way out of the morass of the APA debacle.

Reactions: 3 people
Talk about unions sleeping with management! There are alot more people in the world that believe AA should restructure and more importantly-NOT MERGE WITH US!

Reactions: 2 people
There are a lot of pilots at US East whose only real hope to raise their pay above $125/hr (narrowbody) and $160/hr (widebody) is the AA pilot contract even after the 1113 terms are imposed. A merger with AA is their saviour - a way out of the morass of the APA debacle.

Prior to USAPA's election as the US Airways pilots CBA Scott Kirby joined the negotiations. 80-85% of the new US Airways-AWA joint contract had been completed by the ALPA JNC and the company had passed their first comprehensive economic proposal, which has been called the "Kirby Proposal." The Kirby Proposal had a 17% East/3% West pay raise, US Airways VP of Flight Ops Lyle Hogg told me the BOD authorized him to counter with a 3% raise on top of the Kirby Proposal, and former East MEC Chairman Jack Stephan testified in the Addington trial that informal discussions were held to boost pilot pay 7% to 10% above West rates. This would have provided East pilots a 21% to 24% pay raise.

As far as unionism I'm against illegal job actions that result in permanent injunctions, I'm against people breaking promises and violating contract items such as the Transition Agreement, I'm against a union filing frivolous lawsuits against other employees/the company, and I'm against people seeking power and then acting as thugs.

For example, former PHL Domicile Rep Eric Jordan recently said, "Last month I publicized my reasons for resigning from the BPR. Never have I witnessed an organization so dysfunctional with self-serving lies, distortions, threats, and the use of fear tactics. Thankfully, the officers that spearheaded those tactics will soon be gone as a result of your vote."

There are many other former union officials who have made the same type of statement about USAPA that Eric did. Thankfully, new officers have been elected who are making the correct choices and USAPA's relationship with senior management is much better.

Spare us all your crocodile tears. You couldn't care less about any AA or US employee other than the one you see in the mirror.

There seems to be no low you will not stoop to, no situation you won't spin, no one's pain or angst you won't exploit to suit your own personal agenda.

Your history of undermining unions at US, including ALPA until they saved your bacon and got your job back, your attacks on the IAM and AFA, hardly qualify you as any "man of the people" to speak for any employees of any airline.

I've read your garbage for over ten years. Your posts continue to amaze and disgust.

It appears you're an angry person and the truth hurts. That's sad too.

I have not seen enough details to know whether this merger will benefit most employees much less EVERY employee as stated. I find it hard to believe that no USAirways employee would be furloughed. How about OCC in Pit? Crew sched, maintenance etc. How about PHX employees? I doubt they would agree with how much they are going to benefit from losing their job. So much info is left unsaid that at this point I don't think anyone can make an informed decision. What is needed is more details and less cheerleading. If it is indeed a good deal then let us have all the info.....good and bad.

Reactions: 5 people
Prior to USAPA's election as the US Airways pilots CBA Scott Kirby joined the negotiations. 80-85% of the new US Airways-AWA joint contract had been completed by the ALPA JNC and the company had passed their first comprehensive economic proposal, which has been called the "Kirby Proposal." The Kirby Proposal had a 17% East/3% West pay raise, US Airways VP of Flight Ops Lyle Hogg told me the BOD authorized him to counter with a 3% raise on top of the Kirby Proposal, and former East MEC Chairman Jack Stephan testified in the Addington trial that informal discussions were held to boost pilot pay 7% to 10% above West rates. This would have provided East pilots a 21% to 24% pay raise.
Those numbers are all well and good but they still don't get your payrate up to the AA 737/A320 rate of $161/hr. You would have to get a 29% raise to match AA's current payrates. Contrary to internet blather, AA's 1113 term sheet demand does not lower AA pilot payrates - it only makes them contribute more to their healthcare and makes them fly more hours for their pay.

Given that Parker was unable to increase first quarter unit revenue at US as much as Horton was able to increase first quarter unit revenue at AA, it's obvious where the money comes to increase your pay up to industry standards, and that's from AA's superior revenues. Projections that Parker can increase AA's revenue more than can Horton and that Parker can save more money than Horton ring hollow with anyone who has followed Parker and Kirby's financial failings. In every year since the merger except for one (2010), US has paid higher prices for jet fuel than has AA. US has the highest non-fuel, non-labor mainline CASM among the competition of AA, UA and DL (it gets even worse if we examine the consolidated numbers). But if put in charge at AA, he won't cut AA's industry-leading labor costs as far as will Horton but will suddenly become fiscally prudent and conservative, savings hundreds of millions at a combined US-AA? Even though he's failed to do the same at US? Sure he will. Keep dreaming of that fleet of 63 777s, including at least 10 777-300s and as many as 100 787-9s.

"Today, Doug Parker and his management team have identified a corporate transaction that will benefit every US Airways and American Airlines' shareholder: Creditors, Shareholders, Customers, and Employees alike."

Umm...EVERY? Including all those who will lose their jobs, one must suppose. Sigh!..."and folks, the award for most koolaide ever consumed and spewed out over the course of an entire lifetime goes to...."

"Interesting" that any mention of "Employees" comes at the very end, as an obvious after thought, placed purely for form. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts