An Open Letter to AMR CEO Tom Horton

Owners (Shareholders) and Customers come first. Without either you would not have any employees.

AA's union's believe the merger is positive and better than AMR's stand-alone plan.<p>
APA wrote a document called AA-US Airways: Our Best Alternative APA said, "

Owners (Shareholders) and Customers come first. Without either you would not have any employees.

AA's union's believe the merger is positive and better than AMR's stand-alone plan.

APA wrote a document called AA-US Airways: Our Best Alternative APA said, "After extensive review by our legal and financial advisers and subject-matter experts, your APA leadership is confident that a merger between American Airlines and US Airways would be the best possible course of action for both our profession and for the future of our airlines."

APFA President Laura Glading said, "A merger with US Airways is not only the most viable plan for American Airlines, it is the only viable plan. Combining our two companies will not only save jobs, salaries and benefits, but strengthen our industry, provide an attractive option to passengers and return American Airlines to a position of prominence."

TWU President Jim Littel said, "US Airways management has approached TWU, as well as pilots and flight attendants, to discuss the changes they would seek in our labor contracts if they were able to merge and acquire American Airlines. The company is currently profitable and could elevate American to a top-tier carrier. If a merger were to take place it could help turn around our airline, give us new management and a path towards a more positive future, something that has long been missing in our work lives."

Yesterday I was deeply saddened to watch a YouTube video created by an American Airlines' mechanic who is a dedicated/passionate employee. This video broke my heart and was painful to watch. There are internet reports this man was a LAS mechanic who has been suspended with pay.

Click on the link below to watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hQ4eaohzQ

It was an eerily odd mix of Bob Keeshan's "Captain Kangaroo" and Peter Finch's role in "Network"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtfCRaNg5EU
I was waiting for him to bust a cap somewhere in the video, and a reminder as to why E.A.P counselling was created.

This guy acts as if he has all the answers for AA's woes, and yet, he actively decided as a young man to go into an industry that already screwed his family, forced his father to work holidays, change airlines due to closures, while airline bankruptcies from past decades foretold of what would eventually become of his pension, his wages, and ultimately, his job.

"This is the business we've chosen." -- Hyman Roth, Godfather, Part II

So Reviews Jester.

Reactions: 1 person
US320: "Owners (Shareholders) and Customers come first. Without either you would not have any employees.

AA's union's believe the merger is positive and better than AMR's stand-alone plan.<p>

1) "Without either you would not have any employees." Golly Gosh!...Is THAT how it works, oh master of the obvious? Hmmm...have you EVER considered that without those pesky employees, those shareholders would hold nothing of even the slightest value?...Oh just Nevermind.

2) Whoopee for the American folks. I do wish them well, especially after the last decade. What's in it for the US people?

Somewould argue that you have it exactly backwards. One of those would be Herb Kelleher of WN. Below is his comment during the "Thought Leader Interview"

S+B: Let&rsquo;s start with some words from your award. You made an &ldquo;audacious commitment&rdquo; to putting employees first, customers second, and shareholders third. How did you get away with that for 20 years?

KELLEHER: When I started out, business school professors liked to pose a conundrum: Which do you put first, your employees, your customers, or your shareholders? As if that were an unanswerable question. My answer was very easy: You put your employees first. If you truly treat your employees that way, they will treat your customers well, your customers will come back, and that&rsquo;s what makes your shareholders happy. So there is no constituency at war with any other constituency. Ultimately, it&rsquo;s shareholder value that you&rsquo;re producing.

So with all due respect I'm on Mr Kelleher's side when it comes to Employees and Customer Satisfaction. US & AA can't hold a candle to WN when it comes to customer satisfaction or PROFIT.

Reactions: 3 people
It has come to my attention that yesterday's closed session meeting between USAPA and senior management did not go well. Apparently my worst fears may be coming to fruition with USAPA .....

USAPA's closed meeting session with US Airways' executive suite was not well received!

Finally, yesterday did not start the process with a bang.

Thankfully, new officers have been elected who are making the correct choices and USAPA's relationship with senior management is much better.
Flip, flop.... flip, flop... flip, flop... :)

Reactions: 2 people
No, a better description is rank-and-file pressure and new regime maturation. It's obvious you did not check the message dates and are trying to misrepresent information. What's new for you?
A bit defensive are we? :lol: Of course I looked at the dates and that is why they are posted.

Clearly there is a flip flop of opinions.... but I didn't say who flipped flopped who's opinion.

In just three days you changed your opinion about USAPA and their relationship with Management (maybe because they changed their opinion). Perhaps your change of opinion was warranted because the USAPA leadership "matured" (in your words) in a record 3 days or less.

No matter how you slice it, your assessment of USAPA's relationship with management changed dramaticaly in only three days. You are allowed to change your opinion and don't need to be defensive. :D

Phoenix:"Flip, flop.... flip, flop... flip, flop..."

USA320: "No, a better description is rank-and-file pressure and new regime maturation."

Hmmm...nah...I've pretty much got to go with Phoenix here...unless, of course, you're stating that such "rank-and-file pressure and new regime maturation" magically took place in 2 to 3 days? ;)

Absolutely disagree with this statement. That's the reason why in America we have a rapidly shrinking middle class.
If you take care of your employees first then you are taking care of your customers. Then your shareholders will be taken care of. If the emphasis is on getting a strong quarter to yield a return for your investors you are short changing everyone. How much did the US Airways shareholders lose by airplanes burning 3 engines all the time? Screw your employees and what does that do to your bottom line?

Reactions: 5 people
I think that it looks like you might want to retaliate? Hey, when we took this job we had no clue thirty years ago we would be in this situation... but, you still have a job. I suggest if you want to retaliate against your customers, YOU have a SERIOUS problem, and maybe its time you find a new job where you would be happier... IMHO

An open letter to Chip AKA USA320Pilot. Reguardless if this merger is a good idea or not the mechanics at USAirways remember all your support through the years! (ZILCH) Spare me the Concern!

Reactions: 7 people
Your letter is a bit condescending to all of us who are doing a lot of soul searching to figure out whether our unions and your management are trying to sell us a bill of goods. I am very wary of your boss and think he is just as much of a snake oil salesman as the rest of them. As I've said before, he cut his teeth at AA and we tend to breed them well.

I have not seen enough details to know whether this merger will benefit most employees much less EVERY employee as stated. I find it hard to believe that no USAirways employee would be furloughed. How about OCC in Pit? Crew sched, maintenance etc. How about PHX employees? I doubt they would agree with how much they are going to benefit from losing their job. So much info is left unsaid that at this point I don't think anyone can make an informed decision. What is needed is more details and less cheerleading. If it is indeed a good deal then let us have all the info.....good and bad.

767one,
Well said. IMO...So much info is left unsaid I agree nobody should quickly rush to judgement regarding this proposed merger. IMO... based on the limited info released, there is a devil in the details. One thing is certain "synergies" realized by a merger will certainly mean furlough and job loss for the current employees. Too much of this proposal is left in the dark and lacking detail. With that said, it makes you wonder why details of the proposal, and it's subsequent impact to the current employees, have not been forthcoming.
ograc

An open letter to Chip AKA USA320Pilot. Reguardless if this merger is a good idea or not the mechanics at USAirways remember all your support through the years! (ZILCH) Spare me the Concern!

Agreed and thanks!

Some of us here know exactly who this hypocrite is. We read the logboks too, you know.

Latest posts