Answers

IAM1776PHL

Advanced
Sep 1, 2002
Ansewr me this....I understand that PHL''s IAM fleet service top committeeman made somewhere around $150,00.00 last year...Dave so who''s watching the cookie jar in PHL?

That may not be true. I am told the company can pay them "overtime". I am told it might be paid for hours not worked. Why? I can only guess it is a good investment for the company.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/26/2003 5:02:23 PM pitguy wrote:
[P]That may not be true. I am told the company can pay them "overtime". I am told it might be paid for hours not worked. Why? I can only guess it is a good investment for the company.[BR][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]pitguy...i smell a rat...hush money comes to mind.akin to mobster payoff??

From what I understand he may not be alone. Other stations could have similar deals for the fleet service and the mechanic and related representatives. I figure the company may feel it is a good investment.

- Maybe Biffeman will comment on this.

pitguy said

"I figure the company may feel it is a good investment"

And I ask at who's expence ?

Definition of "expense" (ik-spens') n.

1.a. Something spent to attain a goal or accomplish a purpose. b. A loss for the sake of something gained; a sacrifice.

2. An expenditure of money; a cost.

3. expenses. Abbr. exp. a. Charges incurred by an employee in the performance of work. b. Informal. Money allotted for payment of such charges.

any of the above?

As I understand the rules outlined in the Fleet Service Agreement, a committeeman can only be renummerated for work done outside of regularly scheduled shifts at straight time rates. That 'work' is restricted to activies surrounding grievances - investigations, presentations, etc. Additionally, a committeeman is paid his/her 8 hour day while in attendance of union/company approved conferences, usually of an educational nature.

A local lodge may elect to renummerate its officers, including standing grievance committees. In the locals I'm aware of, (and I have no firsthand knowledge of PHL or PIT) that amount averages some $50 monthly. Many small lodges cannot afford even that.

Furthermore, in the situations I do have firsthand knowledge of, the company scrutinizes paid time off for union duty, in the hopes of catching a clerical error or some other minor goof, and hammering the committeeman. I also know the company will not always provide time off for grievance or other union approved activities, citing 'needs of service.' In my experience, the company screws over the committemen every chance they get.

Having said that, I know anything is possible. I'd LOVE to hear details of any activities outside of the parameters I've described.

So if this is true one of three things

1. Falsefacation of pay records (there isn't $150 thousand straight hours in a year)

or

2. The company ownes them

or

3. They are only kidding themselves

How wise would it be of a guy to bring the dirt to the surface when you feel the district would not back you and do the right thing. So then you would have the union against you and the company against you not to mention your union brothers and sister are just going to sit back anyhow and let you fight it alone. It would not be worth the grief. Better to just let them do what they want. Too big of a battle.

--Life is too short.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/27/2003 6:16:29 PM PineyBob wrote:

Or here is another scenario. Folks with dubious motives are spreading rumors due to their hidden agenda. Just a thought
----------------
[/blockquote]

actually what 1776 said isn't inconsistant. The LM2 reports haven't come out this year but our union thugs got huge pay raises, some 6 figures.

A union member can get paid by the company if he works during the year, he could get paid by the Local union for working there, and get paid by the District union. Plus a big expense account. We had a guy here on the PIT ramp bring in total disbursements of over 110,000 about 2 years ago [LM2 report]from the District ALONE and he isn't even our AGC. Plus I believe he worked on the ramp during the year so the company had to pay him, plus probably our local.
He ended up totally bought off IMO and I think is worthless to us. Of course alot of people thought he was always worthless.

Here's a little 411 guys.I'm the Fleet Service Committee Chairman in Cleveland.I am also a trustee in the local.I am also the person who handles the local web page.I am also the conductor sentinel for the local.Why do I have all of these various jobs? Firstly,we've had so many layoffs in our station,(not just US Airways employees but from every airline we represent) that those jobs were left vacant.Secondly,not enough people care to take the time to be involved.It takes a lot less effort to ***** and moan than it does to become an active participant.Every one of those positions has a monthly salary.I take pay for two of them,Committee Chairman and Trustee because our by-laws require it.Some months my pay doesn't cover my cell phone calls for union business.Am I some kind of martyr? No,I do it because my co-workers elected me. My guess is that it's going on all over the industry.Trust me when I tell you that no one who is a shop steward or committee chairman is getting rich at the members expense.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/27/2003 7:36:58 PM steelersrule wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/27/2003 6:16:29 PM PineyBob wrote:

Or here is another scenario. Folks with dubious motives are spreading rumors due to their hidden agenda. Just a thought
----------------
[/blockquote]

actually what 1776 said isn't inconsistant. The LM2 reports haven't come out this year but our union thugs got huge pay raises, some 6 figures.

A union member can get paid by the company if he works during the year, he could get paid by the Local union for working there, and get paid by the District union. Plus a big expense account. We had a guy here on the PIT ramp bring in total disbursements of over 110,000 about 2 years ago [LM2 report]from the District ALONE and he isn't even our AGC. Plus I believe he worked on the ramp during the year so the company had to pay him, plus probably our local.
He ended up totally bought off IMO and I think is worthless to us. Of course alot of people thought he was always worthless.
----------------
[/blockquote]
-----------------------------------------------------------

ok, help me out here.

Grievance committeemen are elected by the local lodge membership. They are not appointed by the District. Their renummeration, if any, is subject to the wishes of the majority of that local lodge, as reflected in the lodge's by-laws. Necessary expenses, such as correspondence, phone calls, etc. are to be documented and approved by the executive board of the lodge. Furthermore, a grand lodge auditor scrutinizes all these activities - the guy's a regular presence in our local.

Your entry level District guy is your AGC. Their renummeration is listed in District 141'2 by-laws. I believe it's some $96,000 annually, plus expenses.

What I'm saying is I don't see any way someone at the local level can bring $150,000 home, but then, I haven't seen it all, yet. If it's going on, there is some very shifty manuevering going on.

I am also unaware of how someone can draw a salary from the district AND the company. Again, not saying it can't happen, just I don't know how.

someone want to PM some facts to me?

Mike W.,

Based on your reply I feel confident that you do your job well and do not receive monies you should not. However I do feel you are not "in the know" about other stations and therefore could not reliably comment on them. I do thank you for the work and dedication you provide. It does appear you are one of the good guys.