This Is A Switch--hummm Someone Likes Agents.

drifterreno

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
I've never ever heard of what happened today at HP. But it seems that there's an airline out there that respects those in res. Found out last week that an announcement would be coming this week about the profit for last quarter last year. They all said it could be good news--and said it with real smiles on their faces :D
Today the announcement came. HP made a profit last year. Sooooo Mr. Parker and the higher ups are giving every non union person who worked for the airline last year a check on Tuesday next week!!! It will encompas 7.5% of each agent's gross salary for the year 2003 :up:
On top of that we get a $50.00 bonus if HP comes out in the top 3 for on time arrivals and customer service!!!!
Let's see, that means at least a $100.00 bonus from US the year we got cookies, cheese and nothing after that.
Sure, I'm working for $7.65 an hour but my medical is half what yours is, I get free vision, copays and meds are $10.00 each. I also get free short term and long term disability.
I just know when a wonderful manager came out of her office tonight and announced it to those of us sitting around and we all started clapping you saw smiles all around and we actually worked harder to get those bookings. Funny what a little appreciation will do for moral.
Oh and by the way---we're hiring and in res too!!!
I still miss all my long time friends and coworkers but hey---someone appreciates me where I am now!!! :D :p :) :up:

Thanks PineyBob--that's what I mean. The company is nice to us and we're nice to the flying public. Hope to have you fly out west again soon. Wait till you see the smiles on our agent's faces this time!!! :rolleyes:

Things brings up something that Ive been thinking about:

America East

I guess it's crossed my mind because of recent developments:
U's continued (supposed) losses;
U's unions decrying a personal trust and affection problem with U management;
HP's success;
HP's apparent good labor relations;
Bonderman's leaving CAL's board (isn't he still involved in TexPac and HP?);
Star Alliance losing Mexicana to oneworld;
some fleet commonality between U and HP;
repeated questions on this boad about U employees potential consideration of concessions with a new management and new business plan;
Continued speculation (all be it quiet and unsubstantiated) of UAL's need to divest or reduce costs further to exit Ch 11.

Considering the above, what say you to the prospect of Bonderman approaching U and U's unions for a combo of HP and U with a change in U management, of course, that would include U unions accepting HP's labor cost inputs (roughly) with continued code share with UAL and Star Alliance with some re-alignment, including some downgrading of UAL at LAX, perhaps a little downgrading of HP and LAS, perhaps some focus activity at STL and a southern hublet like MSY, AUS or IAH.

I mean is this the kind of thing that U labor would be wiling to accept? I do not know how much LESS HP employees make or how different their work rules are. I presume that they make less and have, generally, more flexible work rules.

a320-

I see what you mean. I read the post in the 'context' of the U board, and took the next step in that direction. But I suppose I didn't practice good bulletin board hygiene. Throw in a missing sentence in the first post and you have relevence. I just chose to insert the sentence in my head. I haven't been paying much attention, lately.

Well, I am happy for you, and I am happy you feel you work for a company that respects it's employees etc etc. However, lets be honest. There is a huge difference between making as you said $7.50 an hr and $20.00 an hr as a Usair Agent. Even with 7% bonus plus the extra it is over a $20,000 a year difference. It seems HP can afford to be generous when they are paying agents so little. I do not know how anyone survives on $7.50 an hr. You can't possible want us to believe you would not take your U res job back in a heartbeat. I personally could ignore the perceived problems in management etc for an extra twenty grand or more a year. Again, I am happy you feel you are respected, but no company and no job is perfect and I will take a decent salary any day.

4merresrat said:
Well, I am happy for you, and I am happy you feel you work for a company that respects it's employees etc etc. However, lets be honest. There is a huge difference between making as you said $7.50 an hr and $20.00 an hr as a Usair Agent. Even with 7% bonus plus the extra it is over a $20,000 a year difference. It seems HP can afford to be generous when they are paying agents so little. I do not know how anyone survives on $7.50 an hr. You can't possible want us to believe you would not take your U res job back in a heartbeat. I personally could ignore the perceived problems in management etc for an extra twenty grand or more a year. Again, I am happy you feel you are respected, but no company and no job is perfect and I will take a decent salary any day.
Yeah, but are there any $20/hr UAIR res jobs left... even if you could get one from the outside?

Errr....not to pick nits, but let's try not to compare starting pay with top out pay.
U starts at something like $8.81/hr. I have no idea of what HP tops out at. It may not be as highs US, but the the differences in the medical plan is worth keeping in mind.

I posted this on this board because I am an "old" U res agent and yes, I toped out at $21.17 per hour. But----16 years ago I started at Piedmont at 6.50 an hour and raised 2 boys on it=====I know inflation and such. But what you don't seem to realize is I'm happier because the management is much better to the agents and seem to have a good working relationship with us at HP. No, I woudln't take my U job back with all of the craziness you have. Our sick peramaters alone are much better to handle. If you're sick and out more than 5 days you go on short term disability if the Dr says you do. Haven't seen anyone there just taking a day off here and there to make a long week=end. There are no definite levels as I can see so far. All in all some things are more important than money at this time in life and happiness comes out on top every time. We get "merit" raises and there is not a "pay scale" here and you earn what you make after the first year. There's even talk of some kind of commission based pay for sales agents---so I could possibly make more than I did at U in a lot less time.
I care about my fellow U res agents and just hope that my postings here might help them in the future. You have no idea how nice it is to work with a employee friendly management.