Any thoughts a new COO?

UAL777flyer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Now that we have a new CEO and the departure of Dutta/Studdert, anyone willing to venture a guess as to who our new COO will be? Will it be an industry veteran from outside the company? Will someone be promoted from within?
My guess is Pete Mc Donald will be promoted to the position.
As for Rono''s job, I don''t think it will be filled immediately, if at all.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/5/2002 5:15:19 PM UAL777flyer wrote:

Now that we have a new CEO and the departure of Dutta/Studdert, anyone willing to venture a guess as to who our new COO will be? Will it be an industry veteran from outside the company? Will someone be promoted from within?

My guess is Pete Mc Donald will be promoted to the position.

As for Rono's job, I don't think it will be filled immediately, if at all.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Jake the Snake Brace will be COO

I don't see Brace becomong COO. I can see him getting the President title, along with his current CFO, but I don't see him becoming COO. Of course, I suppose it's possible.

I'd like to see an outsider for COO. Someone that can take a fresh look at things and possibly apply new strategies and tactics. Perhaps someone from a management consulting firm. I know, I know - consultants are what brought us Avolar. It would have to be a top notch recruit.

We could do a lot worse then Mr. Mc Donald. He is a sharp guy that cares about the people at United

I'm all in favor of bringing someone in from the outside to become the COO. However, I think that person MUST have previous airline industry experience. Tilton is a total industry outsider, so it's vital that he surround himself with proven industry leaders who can bring him up to speed on all relevant issues, as well as provide solid leadership and motivation to the employees.

I'd rather have the President with ties to the airline industry to advise Tilton than the COO.

The coo should focus on ops and the president focus on day-to-day management of the entire ua operation.

Operation wise, it would be nice to have a fresh approach. President...we should have an industry vet to balance Tilton.

My two cents of course..

I would tend to agree with that. However, it's interesting that Mr. Tilton was named Chairman, PRESIDENT and CEO. That would indicate to me that maybe, at least for the near future, they're not going to backfill Rono's job of President with another individual. Otherwise, why give Tilton the title of President right off the bat?

They may have given him the Prez title with Tilton being the ultimate person to decide if he wants a Prez. For time being...probably not - there's no time to look.

For that...then I agree he needs someone close with airline experience. Is Jake the person from the cfo position? Who knows.

Just read that UA had the best on-time performance for july. Way to go! Congrats all!

All of the recent flights i've been on have closed the door early and pushed right on time. There's this air of obsession among all employees to get out on-time. While labor is exhibiting the expected negotiation stance - they are showing they are committed to turning the ship around. Sometimes actions speak louder than words - on-time action.

UnitedChicago,

You reminded me of an interesting situation I encountered at ORD last Friday afternoon (8/30). If there any UA CSR's who can explain this to me, I'd very much appreciate it. I was waiting by gate C30 for the 3:10pm flight to STL. Right next door was the 2:55pm flight to PHX. The agent went out and pulled the jetway at about 2:49/2:50. As soon as she came off the jetway, a party of 3 (man/woman/child) arrived out of breath to board the flight. She told them they had missed the flight that it was gone. Well of course they could see that the plane was still at the gate. In fact, it was still finishing up loading of bags. However, this agent, who was a bit rude I might add, refused to put them on the plane. She said they are required to pull the jetway 5 minutes prior to departure and that is when the flight is officially closed. Now, I watched this entire sequence of events. She continued to argue with them and attempted 3-4 phone calls, all while the plane was still sitting at the gate. It would have only taken her a minute to put the jetway up, put the 3 passengers onboard, and pull it off again. So, I'm curious what our policy is. I used to be a ticket agent when I started in this business for TWA. But that was 14 years ago. If we ever pulled the jetway 5 minutes early and revenue passengers showed up, we put them on the plane. I was a bit surprised that we would refuse to put these 3 passengers on, especially when the aircraft hadn't moved. Can anyone help me out with this one? Thanks.

One more thought. Since 9/11 and the new security...I think most frequent flyers know that they have to be there 1 hour prior. I'd be interested to know what kind of decrease in last minute show-ups like 777 described. It's interesting how the perception of being on time to a flight has changed.

Like i said in my last post...I always, and i mean always showed up 6 minutes before departure. No I'm in the gate area no less than 40 mins prior to departure.

The argument to shut the door at 5 mins prior and not make exceptions is bolstered by the fact that all airlines are warning pax to show up on time.

Ah...this has happened to me as a pax many times! I was once on a flight to LAX and they hadn't even pulled the jetway back - but refused to let me board...they relented eventually.

In your example...it would be interesting to know if these pax were checked in with actual seat assignments. Or would it have required more computer work on the agent's part.

Either way...I say don't let them board. Especially if the jetway is pulled and the door is closed. That's the only way UA can hope to have good ontime departures. Fliers will learn. I have! :)

UnitedChicago,

I was right there witness to the entire incident. These folks had boarding passes in hand and had been sent from the ticket counter. The other agent at the gate even admitted that the flight wasn't even full. I'm just curious about what UA's policy is. It seems incredible to me that we'd turn away 3 revenue passengers 5 minutes prior to departure on a flight that isn't full that is still being loaded with bags.

In that light...I tend to agree with you 777Flyer. I think they should strictly enforce this on flights that are historically late like to biz centers like LGA, DEN, DCA, etc.

But STL...and the flight wasn't full. They probably should have been flexible...considering we dont fly hourly there.

Hi UAL777Flyer,

I think it's called stupidity--an utter lack of common sense.

I had the same exact thing happen to me a few years ago at ORD. Only it was on my beloved TWA. After traffic delays, I got to the gate just a couple of minutes before departure, having checked my bags through to London, via STL. I had asked the ticket counter to call the gate and advise them I was on my way. If it had been past departure time I would have understood. But it was a couple minutes prior. The agent, an AIC, was closing the jetway door as I got there. She absolutely refused to let me on and was quite *****y about it. The aircraft sat there for another five minutes. I explained that I was connecting to London in STL and would miss my connection and bags, forcing me to wait until the next day. I was also booked in First Class all the way to London. She couldn't care less -- take the next flight to STL. So that's what I was forced to do, arriving in STL just in time to see the London flight taxi out as we taxi in, with my bags in its belly.

So I went straight to the Platinum desk at STL (UAL equivelant is 1K) and when I got through with them here's what I demanded and got:

I was put on the next flight back to ORD. I was booked on a United non-stop the next day to LHR, in First Class. Don't forget, my First Class ticket on TWA was priced at what United charges for Business Class. The UA first ticket was something like $5000 one way. I don't know if TWA got stuck for the full amount, but I'm sure they didn't make any money on the deal. That Agent at ORD is the only TWA employee I have ever complained about. I was flying in and out of ORD twice a week, so I saw her all the time. She was sweet as pie after that. All the other agents there were ALWAYS sweet as pie. They'd see me in the check-in line and have my passes printed before I even got to the counter!

So that rude and thoughtless treatment toward a Platinum passenger not only cost TWA the premium revenue they were getting for a trans-Atlantic flight, they wound up giving it all and then some to United.

I also saw, a couple years back, at OAK an Alaska Airlines jet push back and start engines. It then sat out on the ramp a few minutes and shut off the engines, while an agent ushered two passengers out to the tarmac and boarded them through the aft stairway. Now that is probably going to the other extreme, but I'm sure those two passengers appreciated it.

Marky