APA Ready for Federal Mediation...

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
Allied Pilots Association Invites American Airlines Management to Join in Request for Federal Mediation
"It is in the Best Interests of All Concerned to Bring Our Contract Negotiations to a Prompt Conclusion"

FORT WORTH, Texas, Jan 10, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Allied Pilots Association, collective bargaining agent for the 12,000 pilots of American Airlines, appealed to the carrier's management today to join in a request for National Mediation Board (NMB) involvement in the ongoing negotiations for a new pilots' contract.

APA and American Airlines management began negotiations for a new contract in September 2006 after management triggered an "early-opener" provision in the pilots' contract. This provision gives either party the option to initiate bargaining up to 18 months before the contract's May 1, 2008 amendable date. Under the Railway Labor Act--which governs all airline industry labor negotiations--contracts become amendable on an agreed-upon date, rather than expiring.

"It is in the best interests of all concerned--including our pilots, the passengers we serve and our shareholders--to bring our contract negotiations to a prompt conclusion," said APA President Captain Lloyd Hill. "We are hopeful that federal mediation will provide the necessary impetus to get a deal done quickly."

Hill noted that APA presented American Airlines management with a comprehensive set of contractual proposals late last year. According to Hill, management then requested a recess in the negotiations of several weeks to study APA's proposals and later responded by largely restating their previous positions.

"Without question, we have made little progress in our negotiations, which is why we believe federal mediation is warranted," Hill said.

He indicated that APA would wait until close of business on Monday, January 14 for management's response to the union's invitation before contacting the NMB.

Founded in 1963, the Allied Pilots Association--the largest independent pilot union in the U.S.--is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas. APA represents the 12,000 pilots of American Airlines, including 2,287 pilots on furlough. The furloughs began shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Also, several hundred American Airlines pilots are on full-time military leave of absence serving in the armed forces. The union's Web site address is www.alliedpilots.org.

American Airlines is the nation's largest passenger carrier and fifth-largest cargo carrier.

SOURCE: Allied Pilots Association

Good. This is one that would just do too much damage to let it drag on. It would be wonderful for the passengers to know that their pilots are done fighting with the employer and ready to focus on flying their plane!

However, AMR will have to be forced to the mediation table. I highly doubt they will join the union in their request. AA doesn't want to, and most likely will fight to the death of the airline to keep from, ponying up anything they previously took. That would make them look weak.

Thank GOd!...I only hope the pilots have the "gonads", like they have the "stomach" to follow through with the threats....In the end, I think they will cave.....Again, I think the F/A's at this company have the "True voice"...Hopefully it will be loud a strong!

What Unity?

I also think(at this point) that this IS the best way to proceed.
Despite APA's original "openers", this will "flush out" AA's true intentions.

After HDQ's true Intentions are known, the rest(believe it or not) will be easy/cut + dried !!!

Game-Set-Match.

Eighteen months and now mediation.
You can bet the same will happen to the other labor groups.
We didnt have to vote on a contract exstension we will get it shoved downn our throats.
A record setting 7.5 year contract. Thanks twu. The only way to get rid of you is to work for Continental :lol:

At least it's a step in the right direction, but I don't think it will solve much.

Personally, I'd rather see them follow in Pinacle's foot steps.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/01/08/ap4508706.html

Classy Mark.

Let's all get our dander up and sue the pilots.

Here we are, sitting at 15 out of 16 in customer service rankings, a reputation worse than the IRS, an customer service philosophy that has us threatened with Congressional intervention as a result, and you think suing the pilots is a step in the right direction.

And you state this as someone from MIA?

I'll look for you kicking our customers in the security line in front of La Carretta.

The part I always am amazed at is both sides accuse the other of not bargaining in good faith. Let's just hope that the mediator intervention doesn't backfire on the pilots like it did with the pilot seniority issue at LCC. East pilots insisted on binding arbitration, but then were extremely unhappy with the arbitrator's decision.

The only way to get rid of you is to work for Continental

Or USAirways, who has been hiring AA employees hand over fist as of late. Seems they are willing to take advantage of AA's trained and experienced labor force, especially since AA is too brainless to lift a finger to keep it.

Now, if the executives would just start leaving in record numbers . . . .

Or USAirways, who has been hiring AA employees hand over fist as of late. Seems they are willing to take advantage of AA's trained and experienced labor force, especially since AA is too brainless to lift a finger to keep it.

Now, if the executives would just start leaving in record numbers . . . .

Executives have been leaving in record numbers for the past six years. It's just not the ones who create the problems.

Executives have been leaving in record numbers for the past six years. It's just not the ones who create the problems.

Yep - the ones that haven't anywhere else to go stay to collect a "bone-us", and you're quite correct - they are problems.

BTW - I had it figured once what it cost every incumbent shareholder per share for the brass to take their cash. You're correct in that the new buyers got their shares for less, the silution didn't make any fans of those "holding the bag', so to speak.

I'l recalculate and post for you sometime over the weekend if the honeydos aren't too numerous.wife will leave me alone.

Classy Mark.

Let's all get our dander up and sue the pilots.

Here we are, sitting at 15 out of 16 in customer service rankings, a reputation worse than the IRS, an customer service philosophy that has us threatened with Congressional intervention as a result, and you think suing the pilots is a step in the right direction.

And you state this as someone from MIA?

I'll look for you kicking our customers in the security line in front of La Carretta.

Considering I don't work for AA, nor do I live in Miami, don't look for me.

AA made a lot of sacrifices to keep the pilots pensions and stay out of bankruptcy, and what do they get back from the pilots? Zilch. They are one of the most ungrateful bunch of employees I know.

AA should have gone into bankruptcy and eliminated their pensions. Trying to avoid bankruptcy was a huge mistake in retrospect.