APA Proposes Pay Restoration

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
Allied Pilots Association Proposes Pay Restoration for American Airlines Pilots; Cites Membership Mandate, Dramatic Increase in Management Compensation

'Inflation Has Steadily Eroded Our Purchasing Power'

FORT WORTH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

The Allied Pilots Association (APA), representing the 12,000 pilots of American Airlines (NYSE:AMR), presented a pay proposal to the carrier's management today that is designed to restore the pilots' lost purchasing power.

Current American Airlines pilot pay rates are slightly lower than what they were in 1992, with inflation eroding the pilots' purchasing power by more than 33 percent since that time. APA's proposal calls for adjusting current pay rates to account for post-1992 annual inflation, as reflected by the Consumer Price Index.

American Airlines management rejected an earlier pay proposal APA's previous leadership made in May. Shortly thereafter, the membership elected its current national officers by the widest margin and with the largest voter turnout in APA history. Upon taking office, the newly elected leadership commissioned a survey of the membership regarding the ongoing contract negotiations with American Airlines management.

"Our pilots were unequivocal in our recently concluded membership survey--it's time to restore their purchasing power," said APA President Captain Lloyd Hill. "Moreover, that erosion accelerated dramatically for our pilots and their families with the deep concessions we made beginning in 2003."

Hill pointed out that the majority of American Airlines' pilots have been with the airline since the early 1990s, which means that pilots have endured an ongoing decline in their standard of living for much of their careers with the carrier.

"In sharp contrast to what our pilots have endured, American Airlines management has given itself what amounts to an exponential increase in compensation over the same period. What we are seeking for our pilots doesn't even begin to approach management's gains," Hill said.

American Airlines' five "Named Executive Officers" (as identified in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission) have experienced an increase of 469 percent in their total compensation since 1992. For the CEO, the increase has been even more dramatic. In 1992, American Airlines CEO Robert Crandall's total compensation was $1,013,471. Current CEO Gerard Arpey's total compensation for 2007 will be $8,344,971--an increase of 723 percent, representing a 560 percent increase in purchasing power.

"It is well past time to restore our pilots' purchasing power," Hill said. "After all, management compensation has done much more than simply keep pace with inflation. By any measure, the past 15 years have been extremely lucrative for our airline's senior executives."

If things keep going this path, it seems likely American will be going the way of TWA. A once great airline ruined. This time, instead of greedy owners like Hughes and Icahn it will be the incompetence of the work force. No worries, I count family members among that group. To really sit back and think there is some secret bank account with enough to pay this kind of increase, and pay the other bills, would be laughable if people weren't actually thinking it. Many will roar back at me that there was for mgmt. Those are part of the many who simply are unwilling to constantly tie their pay to performance...

If things keep going this path, it seems likely American will be going the way of TWA. A once great airline ruined. This time, instead of greedy owners like Hughes and Icahn it will be the incompetence of the work force. No worries, I count family members among that group. To really sit back and think there is some secret bank account with enough to pay this kind of increase, and pay the other bills, would be laughable if people weren't actually thinking it. Many will roar back at me that there was for mgmt. Those are part of the many who simply are unwilling to constantly tie their pay to performance...

So what you are saying is the secret bank account is only available to incompetent management, better known as airline management?

American Airlines' five "Named Executive Officers" (as identified in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission) have experienced an increase of 469 percent in their total compensation since 1992. For the CEO, the increase has been even more dramatic. In 1992, American Airlines CEO Robert Crandall's total compensation was $1,013,471. Current CEO Gerard Arpey's total compensation for 2007 will be $8,344,971--an increase of 723 percent, representing a 560 percent increase in purchasing power.

Exactly.....

Hey.."beauty", DON'T leave on my account.
As I've mentioned before, I enjoy your posts, and I enjoy YOU inserting your "sneakers" into your mouth, from time to time !!!! :shock:

I never do NHBB, I say what I want to say, and I am in touch with reality... If I make a mistake I admit it, something your comrads would never do... Instead, they resort to name calling and hateful remarks, everytime, you can predict it..... I would be ashamed if I were you NHBB... definitely not proud...

If they dont want to pay us for the airlines performance then we might as well bury the place instead of letting management reap the rewards

BRING IT ON
:angry:

Well, by any measure, the performance (financial or operation) is mediocre...so your pay is currently accurate. The stock is currently subpar...would you prefer to move there? You did reap the rewards of that but seem to forget your portion.

If they dont want to pay us for the airlines performance then we might as well bury the place instead of letting management reap the rewards

BRING IT ON
:angry:

Performance??? yeah right, DAL outperformed you, CAL outperformed you, and UAL doubletime outperformed you. For an airline the size of AA they should have posted at least a 400 million dollar profit... They definitely are posting a profit which is good, but they are underperforming compared to their peers.. But I do hope you get lucrative raises...

Well, by any measure, the performance (financial or operation) is mediocre...so your pay is currently accurate. The stock is currently subpar...would you prefer to move there? You did reap the rewards of that but seem to forget your portion.

I am on the floor laughing my arse off

management bonuses were more than mediocre I dont think its my pay that is in question.
Stock! Thats a laugh!

That portion of stock was like a weight watchers meal at a lard arse convention :lol:

I did reap the rewards I was able to purchase a murphy bed for the 10 X 10 den since the stock didnt buy me the new hose with the extra bedroom.

If you think the stock is sub par now just wait till the negotiations start and the workgroups realize the only ones who are eligible for the shared gain is upper management.I predict alot of worker unrest in the coming months. Will it impact the stock price I dont know but I think I will buy some 10 dollar puts for 2008. High oil prices and an unhappy workforce it should be a good show.

The rewards I keep reaping are the 4 hours of OT everyday and the 6th and 7th day call in.
If nothing else it makes up for my mediocre pay which by your account is accurate.

That portion of stock was like a weight watchers meal at a lard arse convention :lol:

I did reap the rewards I was able to purchase a murphy bed for the 10 X 10 den since the stock didnt buy me the new hose with the extra bedroom.

It's too bad your Totally Worthless Union didn't demand a lot more of that stock on your behalf in April, 2003 when it was worth $5/sh. $8.0 billion of concessions over a five year period in exchange for a measly 19% of the equity in AMR? I wouldn't have done it for less than 75%.

That's probably management's fault, too.