Are they done yet?

gilbertguy

Senior
Aug 29, 2002
My question is simple enough.....Is US done furloughing for the near future or come 1/03 will we see more cuts? Does the grand plan possibly involve massive furloughs with the intention of bringing many back with offers of MDA enployment? For you contract geeks out there.....does it allow MDA to hire even though the fleet itself does not exist yet? Is MDA a viable company as of now....allowing it to hire staffing? US couldn''t(per Dave)get all it wanted out of unions so plan B is dump staffing and bring back at 13.01 hr folks?

MDA agents wont necessarily be the 13.01 agents. MDA's contract with CWA has yet to be negotiated so that number is still up in the air. The 13.01 agents are EXPRESS agents. There will be a difference between the Express agents and MDA agents payscales. As far as hiring MDA agents, I guess its a possibility if they want to go ahead and use the other part of the contract items now too regarding the use of MDA agents working mainline flights (ie 4 months consecutive etc.), otherwise it wont work if they're planning on using MDA agents to work a total mainline city.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/14/2002 11:46:27 AM tadjr wrote:

MDA agents wont necessarily be the 13.01 agents. MDA's contract with CWA has yet to be negotiated so that number is still up in the air. The 13.01 agents are EXPRESS agents. There will be a difference between the Express agents and MDA agents payscales. As far as hiring MDA agents, I guess its a possibility if they want to go ahead and use the other part of the contract items now too regarding the use of MDA agents working mainline flights (ie 4 months consecutive etc.), otherwise it wont work if they're planning on using MDA agents to work a total mainline city.
----------------
[/blockquote]
If US puts any ERJ's into a mainline city.....and they have the range for most....excluding West coast......does that city now become express (MDA) and the contract terms could apply?

From reading (and trying to interpret the gray areas) it appears that if they add an SJ into a mainline nonhub city and there are still mainline jets there, it will stay mainline provided that there is continuous mainline jet service there more than 4 months in a row per calendar year. If they make a city an SJ city they can not run mainline planes there for more than 4 CONTINUOUS months and keep it an SJ city. My interpretation of this is ie. SRQ goes SJs and MDA takes over. Mainline can fly jets into SRQ for Sept-Dec/and Jan-APR and still keep it as an MDA city since it doesnt have mainline for more than 4 continuous months in a year. This would cover most of the season there and mean that MDA agents work there (at MDA rates, not current Express rates). If they were to add 1 mainline flight year round or longer than 4 months in a row per calendar year, it would be a mainline city regardless of the number of SJs there. This is just my interpretation of the contract. Your view may vary.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/14/2002 10:56:35 AM gilbertguy wrote:

My question is simple enough.....Is US done furloughing for the near future or come 1/03 will we see more cuts? Does the grand plan possibly involve massive furloughs with the intention of bringing many back with offers of MDA enployment?

Bingo! And, as MDA is an Express division, and U is BK, I'm yet to be convinced MDA payrates will exceed any other Express rate. I'll further recommend Dave's column in this month's ATTACHE - the part that gets into MDA having experienced staffing.

GilbertGuy,

You're intuition is working real well. Our boss let it out there are more flight reductions on the proposed January schedule.

On 10/15/2002 1:25:04 PM diogenes wrote:

GilbertGuy,

You're intuition is working real well. Our boss let it out there are more flight reductions on the proposed January schedule.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Thanks diogenes.....23 yrs around this industry you pick-up on some of these clues.....
16.gif']