Arpey's Gotta Go tagline/mantra

http://seekingalpha.com/article/284200-amr-s-equity-still-practically-worthless-merger-will-not-save-airline?source=yahoo

But wait! What about the cornerstone strategy and ATI? Or 2020 plan? Or......

http://seekingalpha.com/article/284200-amr-s-equity-still-practically-worthless-merger-will-not-save-airline?source=yahoo

But wait! What about the cornerstone strategy and ATI? Or 2020 plan? Or......
Yep, and we still have those here who think these guy's are doing one helluva job.

The airline is stagnant, and it is dying.

Yep. What are you doing to prevent that? Saying "that ain't my job" or "full pay to the last day" like some of the others here?

Y'all are heading the way of Pan Am. I am beginning to think there are more people outside AMR who get that than there are inside.

Might be time to start giving a damn about where the next year's paychecks will be coming from than worrying about what you didn't keep in 2003...

Right now, I get the impression you guys are driving in a rainstorm with the wipers off, and more focused on what's in the rear view mirror than you are about the brick wall you're about to slam into.....

Oh, and good luck getting hired on by the airlines who backfill AA. I'd be shocked if there were jobs for more than 20-30% of you. Lots of excess capacity in the domestic market right now...

Yep. What are you doing to prevent that? Saying "that ain't my job" or "full pay to the last day" like some of the others here?

Y'all are heading the way of Pan Am. I am beginning to think there are more people outside AMR who get that than there are inside.

The people "outside" AMR that you refer to are those with no skin in the game with an "ANTI-UNION, COMPANY'S ALWAYS RIGHT AND CAN DO NO WRONG" bias.

Might be time to start giving a damn about where the next year's paychecks will be coming from than worrying about what you didn't keep in 2003...

Yeah, even a depressed paycheck that hasn't changed much expect in the downward condition.

Right now, I get the impression you guys are driving in a rainstorm with the wipers off, and more focused on what's in the rear view mirror than you are about the brick wall you're about to slam into.....

And what we see in that rear view mirror is a raping we took and sacrifices we made.

Oh, and good luck getting hired on by the airlines who backfill AA. I'd be shocked if there were jobs for more than 20-30% of you. Lots of excess capacity in the domestic market right now...

Fortunately, the younger crowd will forced into finding employment outside this industry.

Painting with a broad brush E,Im frustrated with the degradation of the company and the bunker mentality senior management has more than anything else.

What do I do? The same thing I do every day,meet my flights and turn them on time.

Painting with a broad brush E,Im frustrated with the degradation of the company and the bunker mentality senior management has more than anything else.

What do I do? The same thing I do every day,meet my flights and turn them on time.

AA is still trying to operate under the old MBA model of 20 years ago. Other airlines have adjusted, AA has not. You cannot shrink your way to profitability...learn from the "past'.

Reactions: 1 person

Same here. I go to work. I do my job and try not to feel that I am the problem and not part of the solution. I try to convince myself that the people that run this airline are making smart decisions. But I keep on getting disappointed. The "smart" guys really are not that smart....and it is not JUST because I have a pension and most other don't. There are deep fundamental problems on so many facets. I just hope for the best. If we have to bail out this company once again then so be it...it will all get worked out because somehow I know our union leaders are smarter than most think and they have much more of a stake in the success of this airline then any manager because lets admit it...we are too old to start over.

It's a valid question Eric.Besides, Jamie didn't have anything snappy to say on the Q2 call.

Jamie's comments on the Q2 results were a little more damning this time around:

Jamie Baker said:
When enterprises lose money by such a wide margin relative to their peers, one would normally expect a material cost-reduction program and/or aggressive top-line strategy in response. We see neither in the case of AMR.

and

We cannot reconcile spending incremental capital while failing to earn returns on [the] existing capital base. We think the best thing AMR can do is figure out a way to generate more profitable flying with the current fleet.

Kevin Krissey from UBS was just as blunt:

Kevin Crissey said:
This announcement represents a ton of new capital being put into a failing business model. We hope management is able to reassure the Street that profits are imminent to support this level of expenditure.

I know a few of you still believe it's all Kabuki and that the airline is hiding profits intentionally. But guys like Kevin and Jamie get paid to see thru all the BS, and they're not pulling any punches...

... snip

I know a few of you still believe it's all Kabuki and that the airline is hiding profits intentionally. But guys like Kevin and Jamie get paid to see thru all the BS, and they're not pulling any punches...

One thing that isn't theatre is the inability of AMR to deploy the aircraft with having negotiated a pay scale for said aircraft with the APA. All the deals and kabuki (I like that, Eric) in the world won't undo that "minor" detail. Jamie Baker should have caught that one up front.

I could strike a deal also for a few billion in aircraft but playing my piano in a whorehouse probably wouldn't snag enough money to make me a good credit risk - just the same as AMR not willing to negotiate fairly with its pilots doesn't exactly make those offering to hold the notes do backflips, either. Nobody really got any orders for anything according to the "gurus" at Aviation Week Magazine.

So - - - - what exactly would you (or anyone else) guess would be AMR's next move in the regard?

As far as the "hiding of profits" - - by writing down the value of aircraft owned (80s & '57s and '67s), expenses/losses due to management stupidity, and the loss carryforwards (that the business boys posting here have said will exclude AMR from paying taxes for quite a few years), all is legit and per GAAP standards. Any profits are effectively eaten by legit accounting practices - nobody's hiding a thing - except, byhaps, their not-so-pure intentions..

To be fair, Frank, the comments quoted above came out before the SEC filings which had more details...

And yes, the irony of that can probably go without further comment.

Jamie's comments on the Q2 results were a little more damning this time around:

and

Kevin Krissey from UBS was just as blunt:

Absolutely correct!

To be fair, Frank, the comments quoted above came out before the SEC filings which had more details...

And yes, the irony of that can probably go without further comment.
... and, so be it ... no comments re: the rag articles.

I can't help, though, laughing at the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" that must be going on in Centrepork -

".. we've done everything the board said to do and we've done it all just like they taught us in CPA and MBA school and things still aren't working ... whatever could we have done wrong? "

People you count on to make things happen don't like to be played for patsies, used or lied to, boys. Did they not teach you fellers THAT in school?

When the folks (that REALLY make things happen) finally figure it out, they push back and negate any and all efforts made by management, good or bad - at that point, it doesn't matter anymore.

In the service, they showed us a film about FOD - the FOD in particular was a crescent wrench intentionally tossed into an intake for the filmaking. One barely discernible little item (as compared to the engine) is seen making its flight, entering stage left, towards the engine in the cell and then, all holy hell broke loose. The engine bucked like a horse (all slo-mo) flexed front to back in an arc and then flexed the other direction, the the fire shot from front and back - one roached out motor. Think of that small crescent wrench as those whom poilicy screwed over (feeling screwed over by same is sufficient to cause a reaction) and one with the slightest amount of sense (perhaps not some college graduates) can see the chain reaction started by BS flowing freely from the top. This doesn't even account for the lying representation cutting deals for themselves.

So, let's hire more management personnel - "we'll show 'em." Unbridled entertainment for the troops abounds - the wheel is reinvented every six months by management personnel, or however long it takes for people to forget about the previous fiasco, identical in nature, that didn't work.

Why in the hell hasn't there been a comedy show put on the air about the cluster#### that is American Airlines?

Real businesspeople understand there's a "people component" to these decisions they make on a daily basis - educated idiots don't get this nor will they ever. Attempting to teach the elite this simple fact is a waste of time, very much like trying to teach a pig to sing.

Another round of failure bonuses, please.

To put it another way yet, Murphy was a true genius but his musings weren't taught in the proper places.

Latest posts