At Your Next TWU Local Union Meeting...

You won't see that again Bob.. NW went to the extreme because AMFA totally dumbfounded management there. They were used to their company lapdog union the IAM there. They had to deal with ALPA but AMFA was too militant for them. We had them over a barrel in 2001 (pre 9/11) thats why I enjoyed a 13 dollar an hr raise and my retirement more than doubled in our very first contract. But we did all our work in house at the time and NW was ill prepared for a MX strike in 2001. But they spent a fortune recruiting mechanics and pulled out all the stops to bust AMFA in 2005 and I dare to say with the help of other airlines as well as UAL and FX and all the others who were all in the trenches trying to get AMFA on board..No other airline wanted that they wanted to keep their lapdog unions like the IAM and TWU. I can honestly say the TWU will NEVER get to the point of impasse and if they do it will never get to a strike situation. AA will never have the need to try to recruit scabs as long as their favorite lapdog union is there.
[/quote
Nothing but the truth!
Although, some may be scratching their heads as to why AA all of the sudden needs 900 mechanics, especially after a RIF just 6 months ago. Has the workload in TUL and the Class 1's increased that much to warrant those numbers? In ORD, it seems that we have less overnights and reduced OT. The other thing that's puzzling is....AA was paying $0 for the lease at MCI base and correct me if I'm wrong, but 3 million per year for AFW..... why didn't AA close AFW and move those operations to DWH? Where's Bob Owens?

Nothing but the truth!
Although, some may be scratching their heads as to why AA all of the sudden needs 900 mechanics, especially after a RIF just 6 months ago. Has the workload in TUL and the Class 1's increased that much to warrant those numbers? In ORD, it seems that we have less overnights and reduced OT. The other thing that's puzzling is....AA was paying $0 for the lease at MCI base and correct me if I'm wrong, but 3 million per year for AFW..... why didn't AA close AFW and move those operations to DWH? Where's Bob Owens?
AA is losing around 500 mechanics per year through attrition. With 54% of the workforce over 50 that rate will likely increase over the next few years. In fact I predict that when the contract is finally ratified we will see a spike in the number of retirements. Closing MCI made sense, especially as fuel gets to be more expensive, figure its 1000 miles round trip from DFW to MCI, thats a lot of fuel, a lot more than the short taxi to DWH. MCI was 50 years old, AFW is state of the art and only 20 miles from DFW, their largest hub. $3million to shave off 1000 miles isnt much. If it costs $17000 to ferry an Aircraft to AFW imagine what it costs to ferry it to MCI. Parts repaired in AFW could be driven in short order to DFW and be for the most part one flight away from anywhere in the system they need it. Parts from MCI had to be flown to DFW first to be sent anywhere. It makes sense to have your maintenance facilities and parts near your biggest hub.

As for the workload I think what happened was AA was pushing the work off in the hopes that they would get a concessionary deal in place. Remember the June 2009 "white Spaces" scenario? Well they ran out of time once we rejected the TA and now they have to play catch up, they didnt get what they want so now they are switching gears, instead of saying they need low wages so they can attract 3P work they are saying they need workrule concessions so we can do the work they have.

The money is made in the coasts because thats where the money is. MIA, LAX and NY1 will continue to see growth. ORD will diminish as some of its traffic shifts to DFW, which will also likely continue to grow.

As for the workload I think what happened was AA was pushing the work off in the hopes that they would get a concessionary deal in place. Remember the June 2009 "white Spaces" scenario? Well they ran out of time once we rejected the TA and now they have to play catch up, they didnt get what they want so now they are switching gears, instead of saying they need low wages so they can attract 3P work they are saying they need workrule concessions so we can do the work they have.
This is compounded by the fact Tulsa is not producing up to its potential and falls further behind maintenance schedules with each a/c that leaves late. 1D, currently 15+ days late with their retro, had a meeting last week with Bill Collins to explain how their dock, with 15 years of exemplary performance, had been transformed by manAAgement into a disgruntled non efficient workforce. Results are pending. As I've stated many times, instead of offering decent wages and demanding accountability, they will choose to throw bodies at the problem only to see lackluster results.

This is compounded by the fact Tulsa is not producing up to its potential and falls further behind maintenance schedules with each a/c that leaves late. 1D, currently 15+ days late with their retro, had a meeting last week with Bill Collins to explain how their dock, with 15 years of exemplary performance, had been transformed by manAAgement into a disgruntled non efficient workforce. Results are pending. As I've stated many times, instead of offering decent wages and demanding accountability, they will choose to throw bodies at the problem only to see lackluster results.

Birdman is your managers name BrianTrujilo (SPELLING).

Hey Bird,
Bill Collins was down here a few weeks ago for his town hall meeting with Taesl, we too gave him an earful about the moral on the floor, the bonuses management will be receiving April 20, and our stalled contract negotiations. He seemed very sympathetic, and he understands where we are coming from, because he came from a union family and he can relate. He also claimed to know nothing about the AMP drive, and the wedding that canceled our April negotiation session. We filled him in, even though he knew all of the above. Your right though, they don't get it, and quite frankly they don't give a dam.

I believe he is the 737 Product Manager.

Hey Bird,
Bill Collins was down here a few weeks ago for his town hall meeting with Taesl, we too gave him an earful about the moral on the floor, the bonuses management will be receiving April 20, and are stalled contract negotiations. He seemed very sympathetic, and he understands where we are coming from, because he came from a union family and he can relate. He also claimed to know nothing about the AMP drive, and the wedding that canceled our April negotiation session. We filled him in, even though he knew all of the above. Your right though, they don't get it, and quite frankly they don't give a dam.

I find it laughable that he is unaware of the AMP drive. The 1D guys said he was a good listener and took notes but I don't see him making any significant changes for the better.

I find it laughable that he is unaware of the AMP drive. The 1D guys said he was a good listener and took notes but I don't see him making any significant changes for the better.
[/quote]
Just like Captain Poop Deck Fred, his predecessor, that had the same spiel about fuel prices and productivity.

birdman your right AA should offer decent wages and start demanding accountability, with the couple hundred slackers they could put out on the street they could offer us more, but AA mangement DOESN"T DEMAND ACCOUNTABILITY, I see it everday, instead of having all employees held accountable they rather look the other way and tell the cc to send someone out that can do the job. To bad its not like the unions of the pass, where aleast the unions held there people accountable

Too bad its not like the unions of the past, where at least unions held their people accountable

I agree, and it's something that needs to start on day 1 of an employee being hired. Yeah, I know that unions don;t do the hiring or firing, but we still need to hold them-and each other- to a higher standard if we're ever going to be taken seriously...

I agree, and it's something that needs to start on day 1 of an employee being hired. Yeah, I know that unions don;t do the hiring or firing, but we still need to hold them-and each other- to a higher standard if we're ever going to be taken seriously...
AMFA at SWA holds their new hires to a higher standard. They get judged by their peers, and then management evaluates them using notes passed along to them by the union membership. I have to say, WE blew our chance during the AMFA drive to change things for the better. Another thing they don't have at SWA that we have here.....animosity towards each other and a BAD working relationship with management. Management repects those mechanics because they do their jobs, and they don't whine about it. We instead whine, and don't get anything done. Management recognizes that and now we're in the pickle we're in.

AMFA at SWA holds their new hires to a higher standard. They get judged by their peers, and then management evaluates them using notes passed along to them by the union membership. I have to say, WE blew our chance during the AMFA drive to change things for the better. Another thing they don't have at SWA that we have here.....animosity towards each other and a BAD working relationship with management. Management repects those mechanics because they do their jobs, and they don't whine about it. We instead whine, and don't get anything done. Management recognizes that and now we're in the pickle we're in.
SF,
Do you think that the twu has, or will, ever hold us accountable, when our own leadership lacks accountability? Why would they even think about holding us accountable when they retain benefits, get raises, have a better retirement and even drive new cars on our dime. Help Roger out in ORD and lets get this done, venting here accomplishes nothing.

SF,
Do you think that the twu has, or will, ever hold us accountable, when our own leadership lacks accountability? Why would they even think about holding us accountable when they retain benefits, get raises, have a better retirement and even drive new cars on our dime. Help Roger out in ORD and lets get this done, venting here accomplishes nothing.
It doesn't matter if we vent or have a discussion, ORD was AMFA strong back in the days, and when AMFA failed at NW most lost faith in AMFA. Most in ORD associate AMP with AMFA and it's very difficult to convince most that AMP is going to bring change. Add the fact that most don't care about what Chicken Little is doing, and driving.

It doesn't matter if we vent or have a discussion, ORD was AMFA strong back in the days, and when AMFA failed at NW most lost faith in AMFA. Most in ORD associate AMP with AMFA and it's very difficult to convince most that AMP is going to bring change. Add the fact that most don't care about what Chicken Little is doing, and driving.
Then I guess it doesn't matter what union we have if the membership doesn't care, and if they don't care, we can't fight, so accept what you have, that's all we are going to get.
Leadership, we have none with the twu.

Then I guess it doesn't matter what union we have if the membership doesn't care, and if they don't care, we can't fight, so accept what you have, that's all we are going to get.
Leadership, we have none with the twu.
Steve,

I'm not sure about AFW, but at ORD everyone's content. It's really pathetic that nobody cares, but it's the truth. AMP has good intentions to bring change, but the mentality on the floor needs to change. I understand about the problems with the intl, but we have leadership issues on a local basis. Plus, it doesn't help when the local president comes around and tells the membership that if you want a raise leave AA. We're in a real dilemma here brother, and I don't know how to change the mentality on the floor. Most don't want to discuss union issues, and if they do, have similar concerns that I do. Bottom line...we need a wholesale change both in leadership and membership. We'll see in January 2012 if others step up and bring change.

Steve,

I'm not sure about AFW, but at ORD everyone's content. It's really pathetic that nobody cares, but it's the truth. AMP has good intentions to bring change, but the mentality on the floor needs to change. I understand about the problems with the intl, but we have leadership issues on a local basis. Plus, it doesn't help when the local president comes around and tells the membership that if you want a raise leave AA. We're in a real dilemma here brother, and I don't know how to change the mentality on the floor. Most don't want to discuss union issues, and if they do, have similar concerns that I do. Bottom line...we need a wholesale change both in leadership and membership. We'll see in January 2012 if others step up and bring change.
Content?

If I was back at DFW or up at ORD working midnight line with a 3 cent shift differential and no line premium, I would defiantly NOT be content. AFW is not content, and the AMP drive has gone very well here, why is that, when we have weekends off and most of the base works days? Like I said before without leadership that is what you get and the guys that don't care will always be their dragging the rest of us down, just like the twu international wants.

Back